Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

Part of it might be the source tune as well. As I stated, my familiarity with MM5 is restricted and I'm pretty sure I may not be the only one. That doesn't mean I won't vote though; once I have my 3 set in stone, I shall get in there and give Ben the free points he wants :)

(Plus I get a bonus by NOT celebrating Thanksgiving, so there... kinda :razz: )

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one having trouble voting this week. By my untrained ear anyway, it sounds like the production is pretty even and especially high across the board but in terms of the cleverness of the arrangement and incorporation of the two themes, nothing particularly stuck out to me.

Everyone's piece was really enjoyable though, and in the end, I went more or less with the tunes that had gotten the most replays - hurtling C7 to an easy first place (if you have the time, btw, I second the notion that you extend this to ten glorious minutes!)

By the way, Ecto, after hearing all your lighthearted trash talk in this thread, I was really pleased to finally hear your bite is as good as your bark with Electric Sleep (WHAT? It's not SHEEP?). I so wish I could have voted for four songs instead of three:(

I haven't voted yet because I had an organic test, japanese test, and history of science essay to work on this weekend, as well as travel on tuesday. Needless to say, I was busy. Just finished listening for the first time. It's not gonna be as hard of a vote this time as last week's was, but it's still going to take a little while. I'll probably vote on friday. Maybe later today.

By the way, Ecto, after hearing all your lighthearted trash talk in this thread, I was really pleased to finally hear your bite is as good as your bark with Electric Sleep (WHAT? It's not SHEEP?). I so wish I could have voted for four songs instead of three:(

You made the right decision!

... oh wait, I'm the "fourth vote"

You made the wrong decision!

n.e.wayz** I'm glad you liked it :mrgreen:

Also, there was a discussion earlier about Air Man in G String that I am too lazy to multiquote.

I'd agree with what everyone came to about it not being at all the same as Treasure Hunter (I liked Treasure Hunter SO HARD).

Anyways, the point is that Willrock made the mention of Treasure Hunter being a fan favorite and the epitome of "willrockiness' I just wanted to point out that that's ALMOST true for me. Treasure Hunter is my second favorite Willrock remix. The pinnacle, in my mind, of Willrock's remixes to date is Magnetic Fireworks.

Just wanted to throw that out there. Still working on homework figuring out my votes.

hope you guys like 'typical brandon mixes' too :-P

jk.. this one is anything but typical.. it should have screaming Rexy and screaming Hylian Lemon, if we're lucky! IF WE'RE LUCKY!

You know, I'm greatful that I gave you a hand this week.

If it had happened any later than today, you would've had to put up with me fighting a cold; so consider that good timing :<

Alright, time for me to do my reviews/voting for round 3!

Hylian Lemon - Sting Operation

This is a pretty interesting arrangement that I dig. I like it quite a lot, and it is different than you might expect from Mega Man sources. The ending is pretty weak. Something rubs me the wrong way with the production in the track, particularly the synths that are supposed to emulate a flute & trumpet (I believe the trumpet-like one is a synth at least - if not, then it needed some work, especially on fixing the abrupt stops that sound unnatural for the instrument). At 2:02 something sounds off with the re-entering of the trumpet/synth.

WillRock - Air Man in a G String

I don't like the initial start to the guitar at the beginning of the song for some reason - I wish it was more smooth. I do wish the rhythms & bass were mixed in farther up front, they sound too faint. The arrangement itself doesn't do much to excite me though.

prophetik - unto dust

Now this is another example of a kickass arrangement - I wish it were longer, as I think this could be something ridiculously crazy should Brad ever choose to expand upon this and fix it up. The background instrumentation should be a bit more up front, as it gets drowned by the leads. The guitars sound a bit mechanical as they are & could use some adjustments. The second half of the song isn't as strong as the first half & could use a bit of tweaking, but otherwise this track is pretty good.

Nekofrog - Running With Scissors

Around 0:30 & 0:51 there's a bit of a quirk with the lead guitar, not sure what it is. The transition between the two sections is pretty rough. The transition towards the slower end section around 2:53 is pretty weak too. The song feels like a bunch of awesome ideas pasted together without much direction.

Xarnax42 - Power Outage

The first thing I notice is that the song overall sounds very quiet. The singing is pretty good. The song could use a bit more instrumentation to fill in a lot of areas where it sounds pretty empty. Too much silence at the end. The arrangement could have used some work as well, it's too thin & short for what it is.

Jewbei - Tripping Through

I automatically think trance when I see Jewbei's name - you need to branch out some more :-P !

Some of that buildup in the beginning can be cut out - it isn't needed, and the song would be stronger without it. The song also sounds pretty thin arrangement-wise - it needed more of the meat of the melodies.

Flexstyle - Topsy Turvy

Oh hey Top Man. That beginning is irresistible it seems. This song is pretty active throughout, I don't really feel like it has any fat to it, which bodes well for the mix. The ending is pretty weak though.

C7 - Riding the Avalanche

An orchestral mix, that's surprising! This mix intrigues me quite a bit though. It's short, yet full of substance that I can forgive the length - it feels complete. It's hectic and befitting its namesake.

ectogemia - Electric Sleep

What a long song! There's a bit of repetition at times I feel could be cut out and the song would be stronger for it - at the least, somewhere around the 2 to 3 minute mark. I have a hard time being interested in the song for so long, it needs more variation going on in other ways such as the pacing.

Rozovian - Solidity

Aw crap another long song. This does a better job of sustaining interest with its upbeat nature, and some fitting use of stops. I still think it could use some more variation in the arrangement to keep things interesting.

Man, tough vote this time. Had 4 off the top of my head that I really liked. Good job everyone this round!