Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

With the latest Wily mix I am somehow expecting Gario to be able to pull this one off rather well just knowing his style. Looking forward to everyone's next work. Make it a good round!

Although I am waiting for this song to be up...

I'm hoping that reverse psychology works on DarkeSword, so I'm going to ask that he PLEASE not pick Mega Man 4 Wily Stage 2.

That makes three of us.

Since people were sick, busy, and uninspired this week, and because I ruffled some feathers last week, I'll restrict myself to a few positive comments rather than full reviews.

• Dayquil, Nyquil: Beautiful soundscape, and the best interpretation of the Mr. X theme this week, IMO. It helps that this was neither 80's synth-pop nor Kirby-esque, which helped it stand out. Easily my #1 choice.
  • Cold Dreams: I expect nothing less from Sir_NutS. A solid arrangement, if slightly homogeneous (which is standard for the genre).
  • Liquid Metal: Took me a couple of listens to wrap my head around this one. It's actually a very solid arrangement, possibly the best blending of the two sources this week, with great instrumentation, playing, and production. Very sweet guitar work. The screams don't go great with the wood blocks, IMO... not that I'm a fan of screams in any context. If this had been actual singing instead of screaming, it could have been one of my favorite entries of the whole compo. Sidenote: I would have gone with "tushy" rather than "caboosey," personally.
  • I didn't have time...: Oh, this was shaping up to be so good! Definitely would have earned a vote from me if it had been even just long enough to get to the Gemini Man theme.
  • The Death of Mr. X: Almost made my top 3, but my main comment is: I'm dumbfounded that you didn't name this "Mr. X Marks the Spot."

It helps that this was neither 80's synth-pop nor Kirby-esque, which helped it stand out. Easily my #1 choice.

Personally, I am also sick of how many song are using Kirby chip tunes. Really, so many song are using it that it's like a fad. I mean, with the huge number of song that are doing it, this should be called the "Kirby Castle Remix Gauntlet".

Srly.

Personally, I am also sick of how many song are using Kirby chip tunes. Really, so many song are using it that it's like a fad. I mean, with the huge number of song that are doing it, this should be called the "Kirby Castle Remix Gauntlet".

Excuse me guys, my songs are neither 80s synth pop or Kirby chiptunes, so you can feel free to vote for them :)

Srly.

Kirby did not invent chiptune sounds. Nor did the NES, really. It's just barebone synth oscillators (because the sound chip in the NES wasn't powerful, it only used basic oscillators).

Kirby did not invent chiptune sounds. Nor did the NES, really. It's just barebone synth oscillators (because the sound chip in the NES wasn't powerful, it only used basic oscillators).

I guess my sarcasm was lost over the medium.

Notice the singular "song" in every instance that it is used. I was calling attention to the fact that "sounding like it's from a Kirby game" and "chip tunes" are not synonymous, and that only one song so far actually sounds like it's using Kirby chips

I guess my sarcasm was lost over the medium.

Notice the singular "song" in every instance that it is used. I was calling attention to the fact that "sounding like it's from a Kirby game" and "chip tunes" are not synonymous, and that only one song so far actually sounds like it's using Kirby chips

I was referring more to the style than the samples, myself--that pleasant, ambient sound that characterizes early Kirby levels. Perhaps "synth elevator music" would have been a less ambiguous characterization?