Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

I for one would really like to participate in this next year (time permitting)--I've seen the growth of others, and I'd really like a piece of that myself. Collaborating with someone who's actually half decent would be a great experience, but if only 6 teams or so are allowed to participate, I'll probably pass so that more good music can be produced.

The GRMRB is also something I'd like to do, but what will happen is that I'll lose and be eliminated in the first round, and that's not as helpful as this format would be to me.

I really like this format better but can see how format variety would spice things up. This format seems like it makes things easier on the mixers cuz they get up to a two week break to rest. As for voting being hard, so what? It's not like your favorite mixer is going to get eliminated. In the last competition it pained me to see several mixers get ousted early like Prototype Rapter and Jake Snake just because they were pitted against equally awesome remixers. I like this format because it seems like it promotes a better environment for learning.

1) You can't get eliminated which means you can continue to practice and improve.

2) You can learn from team mates and adapt some of their skill set in order to bolster your own.

3) If your a seasoned mixer you can get your name out there just by making more mixes. This exposure can lead to more job opportunities etc.

OK, time for my track impressions for the week:

Red Chamomile: Really cool arrangement and nice guitar work by Brandon. My only real complaint here is that while each set of instruments sounded good on their own (piano, acoustic guitar, elec guitar, etc.), at points they didn't seem to fit together as well. I still really enjoyed it though. Good job.

Air-Cossacks!: Not quite what we've come to expect from Willrock, but a fun and good track overall nonetheless. Cool solo section towards the end. Drums sounded kind of generic and stale tho.

twenty-six alpha: Nice, chill arrangement here. I like the plucked bass line and accompanying piano-y thing. Definitely one of my favorites this round.

Standing On Top: I really enjoyed the instrumentation progression in this track and the lyrics were pretty good too. My only complaint was after the vocals ended, the song seemed to kind of meander for the last 2 mins or so. Like I kept waiting for the vocals to come back in or a new lead to enter. I still really like this one nonetheless tho.

Northern Lights: Nice improvement here Mr. L! I really like the chilled piano landscape here. I felt there could've been a bit more variety with the instrumentation or song structure to keep things interesting, but a solid track overall. Nice job.

Eye of the Storm: This one started out pretty cool. It has the good techno vibe going, but the wrong notes that started at 1:22 and continued until the end killed it for me. The 4th and 5th notes of that repeating synth pattern really sound off :(

License to Chill: Another awesome orchestral arrangement from C7! More great performances here. This sounded like it would fit perfectly in a movie score. My only real complaints were that it seemed to take awhile to get going, and then the ending was rather abrupt once the song had gotten going.

Groove, Swing, March: While the constantly switching styles might've turned off some people, I really really enjoyed this track! The first section is probably my favorite and felt like it could've been expanded on a bit more, but oh well. I also think the transition section at 1:10 went on for a bit too long, and could've been accomplished in about half the time. Overall though, nice sound design throughout. Most of your instruments sounded crisp and clear and I really enjoyed the arrangement. Nice work.

No Time For Doctors OMG!!!!! (aka No Time For Rozo To Finish This Song): I'm pretty sure Rozo started this song on the Friday night before it was due, so it's actually quite good considering the time spent on it. This is actually one of my favorite tracks this round. Although pretty simple, the synths are really enjoyable and the drums keep things moving along. I wish this one could've been filled out a bit more.

Villainous Revelry: This one nearly got my last vote because I really enjoyed this one too. It's got a good beat to it, between the drums, bass, and moving synth elements. I like the little alterations on the melody too (like at 1:10 for example). At times it feels like the arrangement loses direction, but overall I think the instrumentation and production make up for it.

I don't think I'll have time for track impressions this week, it's finals week... I thought they were pretty darn good this time around, but I'm just going to cast my vote this time around. I have some thoughts written out for if I find time, but that may not be til I actually get onto break, if then.

Submitted! I won't be around tomorrow morning, so here are the lyrics:

Verse 1

Step by step you've taken from me what you can

Breaking down foundations that I laid to save this wasteland

I don't know how you can destroy

so much so quickly

No sign of guilt, remorse, or shame

at what you've broken

Prechorus

Step back and see all the pain that you've caused me

But I won't sit idle and watch you destroy my revolution

Chorus

I've been here far too long

To let you make a fool of me

I will make my final stand

To prove the best doctor is me!

Verse 2

Pressing forward to break the chains of society

Sear the selfish hearts that amble on in apathy

Bridge

Doctor Light

Why continue to make me fight

You have ruined me

You've destroyed my creations

for what reason?

World peace?

Can't you see that your dreams are flawed?

This disgusting world needs only to be purged

I'll create a new one!

Bridge backing vocals

You fight for peace, I fight for progress

Try to see a world beyond this

Outro

But I'll fight until the bitter end

Because our future means so much, my friend

Though my plans are cold and your's are pure

It will be we who find a way to endure

Voted. I should listen and vote earlier, tho it is a nice break from listening to my own track. My thoughts as I listened...

Northern Lights

Nice synth stuff, drums have a bit of a retro quality to them. Not sure the jazzier stuff really fits, there's some weird harmonies and the transition into and out of those sections get equally weird. Half way through, and there's still weird harmonies from time to time. I like the padtastic sound, but the newby grasp on harmony doesn't quite sell. Dare to change the key of the source if you need to.

Licence to Chill

Sounds cinematic. I miss the robot master source, never got to do much with it in the GRMRB. Some abrupt transitions. I like the spy film vibe this track has.

Groove, Swing, March

Starts groovy. Gets glitchier and weird before going chippy. The disparity between sounds bothers me. The chip section could have been left out for a more cohesive sound throughout. Seems like it gets pressed too loud towards the end, drums pushing the compression and adding some ducking to an already shrill lead... Mostly good tho.

Eye of the Storm

I like the name. Lead being way back in the sound gets a little distracting. Enter some clashing. Going for a weird harmony of changing key with every third chord is fine, clashing is not. Good production, not as good writing.

No Time for Doctors

Rushed, rush-y track. Terrible, terrible stuff. Sounds like the remixer just threw some source bits in the DAW, added some bass and drums, spent like a couple of hours on it. While having a fever. Which isn't far from the truth.

Villainous Revelry

That bass. I like. Nice sound design, aside from the flat snare. Could have more going for it in terms of dynamics. Idunno, it's probably the most cohesive track so far, and the least clashy... but it's boring. The groove and sound keeps it from being bad, but it just doesn't... do anything.

Red Chamomile

Cool strings ducked behind the drums. This has the dynamics the previous track should have had. The middle ground behind piano and rawk doesn't feel right, those are its weak sections. The acoustic guitar and whistle-y synth breaks are cool.

twenty-six alpha

What is this? Gets into a pretty chill groove once the instrumentation starts piling up, but the first twenty seconds or something are just... bizarre. Points for having the coolest, weirdest sound design. It doesn't feel like random things thrown together, despite that it sounds like that. Really cool sound design.

Standing On Top

I like the vocals processing and the background beeps and pads. The rest not as much, and the tempo make me feel stressed. I'm weird like that. Half way through, some cool synth stuff. Then I'm reminded I wanted this source. Grr.

Air-Cossacks!

Snare is detracting. Nice, proper tempo. Sounds really thin after the previous track. Lead is a bit shrill. lol, the melody work in the second half of the track.

twenty-six alpha gets first place. Then I have to decide between the 5 tracks that I placed in the middle of my rankings...

edity: no point in making a new post just to say ours is now subbed.