Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

None of you Wily source haters have the memory of playing the game after getting it for Christmas after it first came out, and having this song play while feeling that sense of accomplishment after finally figuring out how to beat Elec Man (if you didn't know to use Cut Man's weapon, he was impossible to beat).

Yeah, it's simple, but so...many...memories.

None of you Wily source haters have the memory of playing the game after getting it for Christmas after it first came out, and having this song play while feeling that sense of accomplishment after finally figuring out how to beat Elec Man (if you didn't know to use Cut Man's weapon, he was impossible to beat).

Yeah, it's simple, but so...many...memories.

I hate everything about Elec Man, including his level, his theme, his boss fight. Including myself.

I reluctantly go this week (don't wanna push this crap on Jewbei), though don't expect a serious try hard entry. :P

This song is just terrible.

I bet its certainly better than my attempts at song making right now :) At least your trying and for that I'm thankful. Good luck getting your creativity flowing

Don't understand all the complaining about this week's Wily Theme. As arrangers you should all be pretty chuffed; this theme has an incredibly simple melody and chord progression which lends itself really well to basically anything you want to do. It's like telling people in a cooking competition this week's secret ingredient is potatoes. By itself a potato is pretty boring, but when you start combining it with other foods it's amazing.

In other words, whine less, mix more.

Don't understand all the complaining about this week's Wily Theme. As arrangers you should all be pretty chuffed; this theme has an incredibly simple melody and chord progression which lends itself really well to basically anything you want to do.

Was thinking the same myself - I would have been cheering if I were able to do this weeks mix. Would have fit my cheesy tendencies to a tee :D

It's like telling people in a cooking competition this week's secret ingredient is potatoes. By itself a potato is pretty boring, but when you start combining it with other foods it's amazing.

In other words, whine less, mix more.

This... this is a really effective anaology :P

Was thinking the same myself - I would have been cheering if I were able to do this weeks mix. Would have fit my cheesy tendencies to a tee :D

Then you'll love my mix :D plenty of cheese for you.

No, but I do have the memory of having to get past all those bazillion-hit-point pogo stick things, then having to make those perfect, niggly jumps while keeping the fire pillars frozen in just the right places, then running out of platform beam and having to climb up and down ladders to farm refills.

But my thought was the same as DarkeSword's: The theme is simple and short, which means all you skilled remixers should be able to go to town with it, and use your robot masters to their best effect. It wouldn't be my top choice for remixing by itself, but added to another source could be great, probably better than the lengthy Wily themes from MM 7 and 8, which had a constraining effect IMO. I'm excited.

In other news, some comments about my top 4 choices this week, partially in an effort to narrow it down to 3. Actually, I started with 6, but as I wrote, the top 4 became obvious; even though I enjoyed the others greatly, the technical quality wasn't as high, IMHO.

• Black Alleycat and Float: Very similar, smooth pieces. One more jazzy and the other more orchestral, but I have about the same feelings regarding both of them: excellent instrumentation and production, very professional. Excellent, seamless integration of the two sources. Black Alleycat is a bit repetitious, and Float has a bit too much "whitespace" for my taste, but both are par for their respective genres. Also I have a bias for exciting music, but I'm trying to not let that influence my vote.
  • A Swarm of Voxels: Now this is exciting! It's adventurous in ways that sometimes work great, other times less so, but overall a lot of fun to listen to. The integration isn't quite as smooth as the above, feeling a bit more like alternating sources at times, but with two lengthy, complex sources, that's hard to avoid. A bit more length would have helped, IMHO, with some more time to play around with individual elements.
  • WHICH ONE DO I SHOOT?!: Also exciting and fun, great treatment of Gemini Man, even though it uses some of the same "variants" used in earlier entries. Also, while the integration is more of the "alternating" variety, it's my favorite treatment of the Wily theme this week; most entries did it more "straight," but this is more arranged, and arranged well. If this loses my vote, it will be because of the glitchy stuff in the middle, especially the "chopped" aahs, of which I'm not a big fan.