Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

Ooooook, so I guess we need to call a moratorium on Electric Sheep jokes, so here's my reviews for this week's tracks:

A Swarm of Voxels: This one took a little while to grow on me, but I really dig the upbeat chipytuneness of it. I don't really have much to say, except it's a fun, infectious little song.

Totally Tubular Fortress: At first I thought this was Totally Rad Winter again cause the drum intro sounded the same :razz:. I really like the little variations on the melody in the 0:20-0:30 section and onward, it's really groovy. Good, solid track. Sir Nuts has this genre nailed.

WHICH ONE DO I SHOOT?!: I really enjoyed this track. It reminded me a lot of your mixes from the GRMRB 2011. Nice fast-paced environment, great use of a few sound effects and transitions. Great use (and not overuse) of some dubstep bass elements. Nice arrangement of the themes too. This is my #1!

Megaman Awesome: Soundscape sounds pretty thin, and I think I hear some off notes here. I think you changed keys inbetween themes too? I like the sound design overall, I just would've liked to see the arrangement and supporting instruments fleshed out a bit more!

Call the Fire Department: Oh, why so short? :sad: This had a really cool intro and I like your lead synth choices. It was really promising, it just sounds like you didn't get to finish it, or expand on it enough, which is sad.

Wily's Ruin: Nice! I like this a lot more than your previous Nirvana Smells Like Teen Robots song. Nice guitar & percussion work. The lyrics are also a lot of fun and the recording & layering sound pretty well done. There's a few parts where it sounded like the vocals could've been recorded a bit cleaner, but overall good stuff! #2!

When the Moon Cries: All the Concrete Men sing!?! Nice! Intro vocals sounded kind of nasaly, but get a lot better at the 1:17 mark. Nice instrumentation choices and overall a really cool sound environment. Really don't have much crits here, this was a very well done track.

Black Alleycat: Damn Amph, you have the chill-lounge genre nailed too. This seemed like a pretty conservative arrangement, but the execution with the style and production values compensated for it IMO. I really dig this style, so this was an easy #3 vote for me. I love the piano and the swung Shadow man melody. Nice work again!

Float: Something a little different from TGH. I really like this chillout piano style too! Well executed, although it does sound like it begins to drag at parts due to the length since the sound doesn't ever really seem to change. Which isn't really a bad thing, I still really enjoyed this one. Not enough votes to go around tho!

Halite: Rozo's best track of the compo right here. My my the piano intro is sexy, I wonder who wrote it. I love the synth work Rozo did here throughout, there are some really cool sound choices. The one transition at 1:50 is a little awkward switching themes, but it doesn't detract too much. Overall, I really like this one! Nice work teammate!

Skull Shield: Some powerful guitar & percussion going on! Sounds like they were recorded pretty well (especially the guitar). My only gripe is the arrangement sounds more like a medley, switching between parts of the two themes constantly. Would've liked to see more blending of the themes. Otherwise though, this was a fun, hard rockin' song! Oh, but it is BY FAR the worst penis I have ever seen in my life.

Nice work everyone!

Ruby Spears Mega Man Cartoon Theme Song. At the end of my song the melody for "Super Fighting Robot.... Mega Man!" plays on one of the backing synths.

Hahaha I can hear it now. I used to love watching the Mega Man cartoon when I was a kid :grin:

And my song is now finished and subbed, despite my DAW's best attempts to crash and/or lag consistently.

So briefly going back to the source, it may have split people, but to me it does face ease for me to mix.

Although, if I want to hear the source as an individual song, I'd be better off citing the Powered Up version. If I had noticed sooner I could've involved some of the added backing elements of that version into the mix, but compositionally it's all too late :razz: