Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

Really getting into the spirit of the competition, eh? :???:

lul

On a different note, I hope everyone's wearing their big boy pants this round, cause I FINALLY got Komplete Elements working, and I'm having a load of fun playing with all my new toys :D THERE HASN'T BEEN ENOUGH TRASH TALKING OF LATE. So guess what? I'M COMIN' FER YA THIS ROUND!!

Also... who the hell cares about votes..? This is basically a popularity contest anyway :P

I hate to do this so late in the week, but I've had literally NO time to work on a song. Work is running me ragged and I can't forsee being able to get enough free time to work on anything in the near future.

Just as an example, since I've returned from my deployment I have had to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, and will work New Years next week.

I may be able to assist my team if they need guitar parts, but I don't have the time to do full songwriting. Sorry guys, didn't know my time would be in high demand after I got back.

I hate to do this so late in the week, but I've had literally NO time to work on a song. Work is running me ragged and I can't forsee being able to get enough free time to work on anything in the near future.

Just as an example, since I've returned from my deployment I have had to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, and will work New Years next week.

I may be able to assist my team if they need guitar parts, but I don't have the time to do full songwriting. Sorry guys, didn't know my time would be in high demand after I got back.

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping to have my face rocked off again. You gotta do what ya gotta do, though.

*notices that her track wasn't in orlounge's top 3 and is currently struggling in the votes overall*

Thank you so much :cry:

Sorry, it was a very tough choice! Your song is still one of my favorites from the round (and actually, it's probably your best from the competition), but I only get to pick three. There are two others in addition to yours that I wanted to vote for, but I had to narrow it down.

Also, I wouldn't say that yours is struggling overall...

EDIT:

Also... who the hell cares about votes..? This is basically a popularity contest anyway :P

Maybe some people vote for the remixer, not the remix, but I listened to the mixes a lot this week. A. lot. This was a very hard vote for me...probably the hardest in the whole compo so far.

Gario got my #1 because he really outdid himself. By far his best work in this compo, and definitely reflected the spirit of Magnet Man's theme perfectly.

The other two weren't as clear of winners to me as Drag Me Up (to Heaven) was. Not because they weren't good, but because there are so many other excellent mixes this round. I went for Cruise Control because it felt like it gave Napalm Man some excellent treatment (and I really like that theme), and I picked Subarctic Nightfall as my #3 because, in spite of it's technical and production flaws, I really enjoyed the style of it (looking back, I kind of wish that I had voted for Northern Lights because that one really grew on me and it's now one of my favorites from the entire competition).

It was painful for me to not include some of the songs because they were added to my playlists along with my top three, but, like I said, we only get three spots.

Well that's just cause everyone knows Akuma's up this week. What's the point of trash talking for your team when your poor teammate is up against the golden-piped man-siren himself?

Oh? For your sake*, I hope it's enough to make up for the fact that I've gained the ability to summon the aid of the jungle, as well as numerous native tribes skilled in the dark and mystic ways of the tone!

*pic unrelated

Clown Man would be disappointed too if he were capable of any emotion other than "HYUK!!!" but he isn't.

How dare you sir! I'll see you in my dreams!

What a terrible death line.

I would just like to have the chance to hear someone remix his song into a MM competition. I can't imagine it being any good unless someone like Willrock took it.

Round 8 reviews:

Synthesize This!: My favorite song of yours from the compo Rexy! Very nice synth work throughout, they have a great sound to them! I particularly like the shenanigans around 2:45. The brass sounds a little weak (the sample, not the writing), particularly in the intro when it is exposed. Doesn't detract too much tho when it's in the background. Great work overall!

Cruise Control: Very nice. I love the Wily theme in the intro, it really sets the stage with an "epic" sound. Nice guitar work throughout and particularly with the Grenade Man solo at the end. Great production value here too. #1!

Drag me Up (To Heaven): Cool interpretation of Magnet Man! It sounds pretty neat slowed down like this. This is a really solid piece, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the synths sound a tad harsh at high frequencies, but nothing crazy bad. #3!

Tomahawk's Final Chapter: hahahahahahaha :lol: this song is hilarious. Nice spoken word vocals everyone. I like how Tomahawk Man sounds like Christian Bale's Batman too, with that cheesy low gruff sounding voice lol. Cool back-and-forth with the instrumentals too. I was expecting an exploding sound effect though after Tomahawk said he was going to self-destruct. That would've been even more metal.

Towering Shade: These two themes work incredibly well together. The soundscape sounds a bit empty at time and the drums could probably use a little more kick, but overall it works well. I'm going to go check out your WIP now that I've voted to see what else you've done with this!

Subarctic Nightfall: Best yet from you Mr. L. You've made some great progress in the compo. I really like the piano work here and the beginning has a great vibe overall. I feel like the song loses some steam around the 0:50 mark and kind of meanders a bit until around 1:40 or so, but overall I like it!

Top This: This is yet another really great song this round. I love the bass work here, it sounds incredibly awesome. The Top Man usage here is pretty cool too, it's got a really good groove. It was really hard to decide between this and Gario's track for my #3 spot, but I felt Gario's track was a bit more creative with the arrangement so it barely inched out ahead of this one. Really great job tho, this one is definitely a keeper!

Ivory Tower: Really really nice solo piano track! I love me some solo piano. And this is very well done. I particularly like the attention to detail with the various attack velocities, especially on some of the low end chord progressions. Love it! #2!

Current Events: Another song that was hard not to vote too. This is indeed a very quirky arrangement, but I love how it kind of bounces around with adding/remove various elements throughout. It kept the track interesting. Great sound design too!

Electropuncture: I actually really hated this song while I was working on it, but after subbing it and hearing it again a few days later it has grown on me. There are some glaring production issues that I didn't notice at the time that bother me now, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I do really like my transitions and sound effects usage :razz:

Return of Gangsta Man: Cool intro. It does indeed sound gangsta. This is probably my fav of yours from the compo! The xylophone bit around 0:25 reminds me of a Sonic the Hedgehog zone (that I unfortunately can't place right now, but it'll come to me). Nice job!

How dare you sir! I'll see you in my dreams!

What a terrible death line.

I would just like to have the chance to hear someone remix his song into a MM competition. I can't imagine it being any good unless someone like Willrock took it.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

I'll get on that right after... oh shit, I'm musically booked. AT SOME POINT THOUGH...

My track should be finished tonight. I'm so stoked at how it's turning out. Be scared...

EDIT:

Also, here's the lyrics for my track. Just because, well, just 'cause ;)

Broken ties...

Broken ties...

I see black and white-

a part of the great divide.

What is plain for you to see's not so easy for me.

You see a sky, and I see blue

I see a river running but can't wade through.

What hits my eyes won't hit my head.

You gotta help me fix

Broken ties.

The disconnect I'm feeling has got me reeling inside,

Can't handle my emotions, so help me

'Cause baby tonight, oh-oh

We're running out of time, oh-oh

Some say that AkumajoBelmont's birth was accompanied by a chorus of angels. However, the heavenly bodies soon learned that his silver tongue was far more pleasing to the ear than any old angel--even the sun, moon, and stars wept at hearing even the cries of this newborn babe. The angels, jobless as they now were, still rejoiced, for they could not deny the inherent beauty nor fail to embrace the incredibly silky sound of his voice.

As the child grew into a man, the legend grew as well. Tales have been told of monstrous beings whose evil tracks were halted by just one word sung by Akumajo. Still others tell the tale of when he merely whispered a song and coaxed an entire flock of baby dragons into blissful dreams. Others, too, swore that his voice was the pure essence of joy. Quack physicians were quick to sell bottles of old wine mixed with prune juice under the label of "Essence of Akumajo."

To this day, the tale lives on. Small children often report seeing this mythical man at a distance, while they play in the fields. Others say AkumajoBelmont has joined a legendary team of ReMixers who bring justice and peace to the world through music, voice, and copious amounts of the finest alcoholic beverages. The true whereabouts of the man are known to but a select few, whose lives have been sworn in protection of the secret, for woe be to the world against whom this incredible power is turned.

Maybe if I could understand people's motives for not voting due to there being better entries, I could've been more graceful about this. But...

Maybe some people vote for the remixer, not the remix

If people actually do that, then that just upsets me a lot. I have given it my all during these competitions, but I'm coming to the conclusion that due to the current positions for this and the Round 2 entry, people that vote for the remixer (and as a result vote AGAINST me) seem to be very common.

And it's echoed with my ventures side-by-side with Brandon as well; from what I'm understanding from the votes, "Red Chamomile" received an insanely strong fan reception, while on the other hand "Liquid Metal" had more of a torn reception, which I kept assuming was because I was a guest artist on it. I can't help but see this uncanny pattern in regards to name relations and seeing it affect me no matter how many tick boxes I try to fill.

The production tips I received throughout may be a plus here, but other than that this is just giving me too much grief. I can't see myself taking part in a future Mega Man competition if all it does is bring me down :(

It's a shame you let it get you down Rexy as it really shouldn't. Its inevitable that with OCR as it is (a community), people are fans/friends of certain remixers and so will always have a weakness for things they do. Hell, theres so many remixers in this competition that I myself like. I never thought I'd be in a competition with them. Your latest mix was god damn fantastic and at times, cheeky. Your tracks probably get a lot more attention than you may think. Lurkers that don't vote will be checking your stuff out and probably be enjoying it. Not having votes does not always reflect on the quality of your music. Throughout this thread people have openly said they don't like 80's stuff, or rock or dub etc. so that immediately discounts them voting for that person unless they are choosing to be unbiased. I'm chuffed if I get one third place vote coz hell, I have a lot to learn and hardly anyone knows me, but its good fun (if unbelieveably difficult at times).

Its understandable that it can get you down when you pour your heart and soul into a piece of music but try to push on. I reckon there would be a fair few listeners who would miss your participation in a future event. So my point? I dunno, just enjoy it. Perhaps try to only please yourself. Tick your own boxes as so to speak. There have been quite a few gems in this competition that really deserved more praise than they received.