Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

edit: i'm having a hard time understanding why my caps won't work. my statements appear incredibly underwhelming

It's a secret of the forums that took me a long time to figure out. If you type in all caps, and only all caps, then your statement must be followed by at least one lowercase letter, otherwise your all caps turns into all lowercase letters. Which is why Ben has a little "e" in white hiding besides his espresso powers.

It's a secret of the forums that took me a long time to figure out. If you type in all caps, and only all caps, then your statement must be followed by at least one lowercase letter, otherwise your all caps turns into all lowercase letters. Which is why Ben has a little "e" in white hiding besides his espresso powers.

HOLY BEJESUS I CAN CAPS POST NOWdicksauce

Ah...my mix for this week goes all over the place, although I think the first minute is solid stuff :D.

Also, does anyone know when the mysterious Round 10 is going to be explained/when it's going to start, as DarkeSword isn't going to be back till Sunday ?

Wow... I missed a day and this thread took a long journey in that time. This post'll probably include reviews eventually, so it might get pretty long :P

My thoughts on what happened and seems to be at rest where it is fine: Well, while it's important to try to stay positive and such, I can understand some discontent. And I also think it doesn't hurt anything to express/alleviate those disappointments.

Let's look at it this way. If someone feels like there needed to be an improvement to the voting system, isn't it better that they express that? Darkesword gave us a good compromise, but we may not have gotten there without some expressing "Hey, I think X might be a better voting system because of some reasons"

And if there had been no discussion of the point of these competitions, Rexy, for example, would be of the opinion that there is no reason to do these competitions if the lack of votes was just going to grate on her. I don't know if any of the responses changed her mind, but I think it helped give everyone a more clear picture. And perhaps it might end up encouraging Rexy to do some more of these in the future. The discussion is worth it to me.

And really, it's not like it matters if there's 208 pages of post or 36. I'd like to point out that there are some very clear reasons why this thread is longer:

1. There needed to be more rule clarification. This isn't bad. Because of discussion, there were changes to respond to the problem. It makes sense that changing those rules would require some discussion. Also, I think it just took longer to explain the general gist of everything at the beginning.

2. There are more people paying attention to these things. First off, there are more remixers. GRMRB 2010 had 16. Maverick had 16. Those were the two short ones Neblix pointed to. The longer threads, coincidentally enough, were the two to have more remixers; 32 and 36 respectively. That means more comments from the mixers, as well as more mixes for everyone to comment on. But perhaps even more importantly, there seem to be more people listening. The amount of voters in the first rounds of this competition was pretty high: ranging from 55 to 62. More people invariably mean more discussion. I don't see why this is a bad thing. More pages means these Grand Remix Competitions/Gauntlets are growing, which is good.

3. The style of this competition is bound to produce more comments. People had to say who was participating in the next round. Updates were also fairly important. It was useful to know that people weren't going to be able to make a mix for a given round. It's also useful, as a listener, to know some of the reasons why a mix is short, not there, or suffering from the "all-nighter" syndrome. This point is also highlighted by Darke's posts. In past competitions, we sometimes got a post for each new round. In this one, we usually got 2 or 3. Had to give the source, post download (and which mixes he did not receive), and sometimes mention other things of import to that round. Finally, it's also reasonable to expect more posts because there was new, surprise source to comment upon. I think it was interesting to see how people responded to the different Wily sources.

I'm not saying that every post in this thread is substantially meaningful. It would be weird to expect them to be. But I am saying that we could definitively expect more posts anyways, so that's not really surprising. Additionally, we just plain had more people. The more people you have, the more likely to be disagreement. Neblix, if you have a way to solve that invariable correlation, why sir, then you have solved one of the biggest problems on the internet! I'd love to hear it! But until then, it's just a simple fact of having more people. Which, I would say, at this point, it's a good thing. Moderation, of course. If you start getting a BAZILLION people, then you really have to start controlling the focus of the thread a lot more. It's a balance between the benefits of more people and the chaos those denizens can bring.

Also, I didn't write this to 'open up old wounds' or what naught. I understand it's not a devastatingly big controversy. But, contrary to popular opinion, it is also possible to have a reasonable discussion about small deals and have it without being insulting to each other.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to keep typing because I'm good at that. Let's see if I write so much I break the post :P

Just kidding, of course. My reviews shall be only as long as they need to be.

PSUEDO EDIT – I found out just how long my one post could be. So I’ve actually got to break this into 2 parts! I’ll wait so as to not double post. But trust me, reviews are forthcoming!

To break the double-post, let me bring in one more variable that hasn't been considered yet, as to why this thread is so long in comparison to other compos.

Darkesword removed elimination from this compo. Thus, not only are there more people than ever participating, all of these participants are active for the entire compo (as opposed to the other compos, where the participants were cut in half/quarters every single round). More active participants = more interest in the compo, overall. Everyone is always more interested when their own mix (or the mix of their partners) are in the running, so without the elimination people are remaining interested in the outcome all the way to the bitter end.

I still think it's funny to be worried about such a thing, as right now that only shows that the compo is popular and awesome, both of which are not bad things.

Rexy,

Don't feel bad about the votes. Personally I don't vote for the artist because I like them but I will admit that I am biased towards certain styles of music (Check my voting record if you want). I generally don't care for orchestrations, metal, ska, and other genre's that have yet to be invented or I haven't discovered yet. This doesn't mean that those remixes are bad in any way. C7 has done a fabulous job with songs remixed in a genre I don't normally listen to. Music is subjective to everyone. I want to thank you for all your mixes whether liked or not. Just trying says a lot of positive things about the mixer.

Quick critique: Synthesize This! Loved the song but something about the first 12 seconds bothered me. Notes sounded off / flat or something. My ears and musical knowledge aren't sharp enough to tell me what it is that bothers me about that segment. The rest of the song is awesome though! Really liked it.

Suggestion: For the next competition ask Darke if he can post the mixes using fake numbered artist names for the week of voting. After the voting has ended he can reveal who the mixers are. Each week random numbers will be used instead of the artist's name. I know this method has many drawbacks but it could help if people are paranoid about overall voting motives. Figuring out the real artist would still be quite easy though (You would have to be deaf to not notice Akumajo's singing or one of Will Rock's solos for example). At least it would force people to listen to the song until they recognized the artist. Maybe some of the remixers have some viable input based on the way other competitions they have participated in have dealt with or ignored this concern.

All the bickering reminds of this -> http://gprime.net/flash.php/megamanandthepompousrobots :)

Done and submitted. I left a breakdown in there pretty naked, but otherwise, it's decent enough. I'm really happy with it, and considering the little time I've had this week to spend on it, I'm actually surprised that it's turned out so well. Flex gave me a hand with the mix, so it's feat. Flexstyle this week :D

Get ready for a pretty chilled down-tempo ballad with some pretty Eiffel65-ish vocal processing. Can't wait to hear the rest :D

Well......my mix will hopefully be a respectable entry for the final round. I had nearly no inspiration at the beginning of this week but I've cobbled something together, steadily. Its short, but meh......should of spent more time on it. It may feature Cyril........I really hope it can but at the moment it looks like its just gonna be lil' ole me.