Am I out of date?

Wow, 3 pages?

Thanks for the suggs. I found this to be more of a motivational thread and I appreciate it. Well, before it turned into a Windows 7 debate 8).

The whole reason for the upgrade started when I realized Sonar 6 producer doesn't have support for Side chaining and keying. This, with my limited experience, seems like a huge gap. So I figured I'd either upgrade to Sonar 8 or go with a different DAW.

Still not sure what I want to do yet. Though I would like to save my money. :smile:

Wow, 3 pages?

Thanks for the suggs. I found this to be more of a motivational thread and I appreciate it. Well, before it turned into a Windows 7 debate 8).

The whole reason for the upgrade started when I realized Sonar 6 producer doesn't have support for Side chaining and keying. This, with my limited experience, seems like a huge gap. So I figured I'd either upgrade to Sonar 8 or go with a different DAW.

Still not sure what I want to do yet. Though I would like to save my money. :smile:

It's now Sonar X1. There have been some major overhauls to the interface. I haven't upgraded yet, though -- I'm still on 8.5.

You can fucking login into the program without a dongle, just like in MSN.

Cry another day.

Any non-dongle software can be pirated. Sure Reason 6 isn't cracked yet. Doesn't mean it won't be soon.

Don't suggest pirating on these forums. It's an obvious solution and if the OP were that low he would've done it already.

Girls, stop fighting.

I agree with what Snappleman said a while back about using what you have. I don't think Gar is out of date, but people these days put waaay too much into software rather than what really counts. The freakin' music. Which is why there's been so many horrible songs on the radio for the past ten years. All that really matters is that you have a solid performance, mind blowing composition and good mixing. You don't have to drop 700$ on the latest and greatest operating systems, East West sound libraries, the best reverb plugins, the most critically acclaimed soundcard on the market, the newest DAW etc.

I can provide you with an extensive list of examples of well produced, amazing music that was made around 1989-1999 and is better than what we have now. That was before all this "high end" shit even existed.

I guess what I'm saying is that, Gar should only upgrade to something if he feels it's worth his money. If you can use what you already have, and it sounds great then there is no reason to upgrade. If you try out some new "up to date" product and it inspires you in ways your old stuff doesn't, get the new product.

Of course, to run said new product, you may have to upgrade to a new OS or something. I think that point is sort of being lost at this point in the thread though. :???:

Aint nothing wrong with dongles.

Lots of things wrong with dongles and all my stuff's legit. What's wrong is that the entire value you poured into the product is put into a worthless piece of plastic that does nothing by itself. It's not the software itself. Lose it? Break it? Fry it? Investment *poof* gone. It doesn't matter if you have the CDs, or the receipt, or whatever else; if the dongle gets it, you're done for. I vote with my wallet; sweet if there's a neat plugin, but a dongle means I'm not going to buy it.

Hardware synths are arguably big dongles for the samples or code running on 'm. I'm fine with that - those do something. Dongles don't.

Lots of things wrong with dongles and all my stuff's legit. What's wrong is that the entire value you poured into the product is put into a worthless piece of plastic that does nothing by itself. It's not the software itself. Lose it? Break it? Fry it? Investment *poof* gone. It doesn't matter if you have the CDs, or the receipt, or whatever else; if the dongle gets it, you're done for. I vote with my wallet; sweet if there's a neat plugin, but a dongle means I'm not going to buy it.

Hardware synths are arguably big dongles for the samples or code running on 'm. I'm fine with that - those do something. Dongles don't.

Not sure about you, but if I lose my Cubase dongle, they'll send me a new one. Just gotta keep your shit documented with photos and it's all good.

My poor thread...

I only wanted to bring people together, and to perhaps see everyone join hands in calling me a noob of some sort.

Just kidding of course. OCR is a very supportive community. Well except for this thread of course. :-) I mean, if you're going to argue/kill each other over something it should be important. Let it be over the use of mix compression, Let it be over the use of mono when mixing in stereo. Not freaking dongles.

To get back on topic, I'm not a huge fan of dongles. Something about my muy shpensive East West libraries being dependant on a $35 piece of very breakable, losable, throw at your dog after a bad day at work, now it's gone forever, plastic.

Anyway, I'm excited 'cause i'm about to post a new WIP! Seeya!