Final Fight Rock (2012 Update!)

AngelCityOutlaw

I've been trying desperately to get seperation between all the sounds on my rock tracks...but I think I've failed. I try to give all the frequencies their own space, but like I said it's not working =(

How can I make this better and clearer? The goal here is to achieve a sort of early 90s hair metal sound.

http://soundcloud.com/angelcityoutlaw/mak-eightman-criss-stratos

2012 Remix!!! This is now a collab between myself and Mak!!!

• 3 weeks later...

This is just my opinion, but I think the melody needs to lightly sit on top of the rhythm section instead of crushing it.

The rhythm guitars you establish early on shouldn't feel like they suddenly get alot quieter when the melody starts. I have had this problem with my rock mixes as well and I usually take some of the body out of the lead to make sure it's not weighing down the rest of the instruments.

You might want to try getting the drums/guitars to the level you want them first then start chipping and fitting the leads in with that. I'm kind of feeling that the leads were your focus and you tried to fit the guitars around them.

Just what i'm hearing, Keep it going. What's the deal with the controversial character? I'm more SOR than FF :-)

I enjoyed this mix, quite a lot actually. I'm not familiar with the source, but I really like the guitar work and the piano is a nice addition (at least it sounds like a piano). Although at some points, like when the piano gets higher at 0.24-0.28 (and towards the end), the volume is slightly overwhelming. Also, there never really seems to be a break. The music doesn't really slow down in the middle, there isn't any sort of intermission. Maybe that has something to do with the style, I don't know. Overall, a well done mix, keep up the good work.

Thanks for the feedback!

http://soundcloud.com/angelcityoutlaw/final-fight-venom-in-her-veins

There's a new one. Note that I did not do the mixing for this one, a friend of mine did. Anyway, tell me what you think of this one.

What's the deal with the controversial character? I'm more SOR than FF :smile:

Lol...I prefer to let people find that one out on their own.

Love this, what is the source? :smile:

Also, I didn't think that the quieter rhythm guitars during the piano section were that big an issue - came natural to me that the lead should be focused at. Then again, I'm not an expert, just saying it sounded right to my ear.

Before you get some constructive critics from mod, let me give you UNCONSTRUCTIVE:mrgreen:

Snare have some pleasant feedback, which causes some unpleasant sense of over-compression. Hi-hat could be dropped in loudness and(probably) some high freqs cut will make it less annoying.

Also, around 1:20 Kick drum could use some velocity variation.

Piano is cool) But moving it to the center will free some space to long feedback(it has now), after you can use Hi-pass filter and mess with mid-highs for it(don't forget about delay). Cause now piano kinda interrupt the mix.

0:41 cooool))

2:39... damn.. I expect for some badass lead(

My conclusion: I LOVE IT!!:mrgreen:

p.s. Poison is a dude? Ha-ha:mrgreen:

Before you get some constructive critics from mod, let me give you UNCONSTRUCTIVE:mrgreen:

Snare have some pleasant feedback, which causes some unpleasant sense of over-compression. Hi-hat could be dropped in loudness and(probably) some high freqs cut will make it less annoying.

Also, around 1:20 Kick drum could use some velocity variation.

Piano is cool) But moving it to the center will free some space to long feedback(it has now), after you can use Hi-pass filter and mess with mid-highs for it(don't forget about delay). Cause now piano kinda interrupt the mix.

0:41 cooool))

2:39... damn.. I expect for some badass lead(

My conclusion: I LOVE IT!!:mrgreen:

p.s. Poison is a dude? Ha-ha:mrgreen:

Thanks for all the feedback Mak!

• 1 month later...

Well, if you checked the judges decisions, she got "NO (resub)'d"

So, I'm working on a version that improves upon every aspect. Sadly, till I get a new recording interface to go with my killer new microphone, guitar recording has come to a stand still once more.

I still remember the solo I played in this song, even though I made it up on the spot.

I haven't read the judges' comments on this yet, but I love this remix. My only critique is that it is too repetitive at some points (especially the piano parts). A little more improvisation would add a ton of interest.

But yeah, it's great so far. Definitely keep working on it because it's seriously almost there, in my opinion.

I haven't read the judges' comments on this yet, but I love this remix. My only critique is that it is too repetitive at some points (especially the piano parts). A little more improvisation would add a ton of interest.

But yeah, it's great so far. Definitely keep working on it because it's seriously almost there, in my opinion.

The judges agree with you! Indeed, the next version of this will hopefully blow everyone's freakin' tits off with astonishment! I hope...

In that main piano line, I've been experimenting with having the piano play the little motif once, then harmonized guitars echoing it back.

• 4 months later...

oooh shweet. Could be a pass, for all i know :)

Not entirely sure why, but my ears are hurting after one play through and i'm not listening to the track at a loud volume. I think it might be some upper mids boosted too high between the guitar and the cymbals.

If not for the pain involved this track would be really exciting as it is. Good luck on the resub.

oooh shweet. Could be a pass, for all i know :)

Not entirely sure why, but my ears are hurting after one play through and i'm not listening to the track at a loud volume. I think it might be some upper mids boosted too high between the guitar and the cymbals.

If not for the pain involved this track would be really exciting as it is. Good luck on the resub.

Lol glad you listened Gar! I think Mak did a fabulous job, hopefully he'll see this thread too.

Glad you like it man! But I'm still kinda confused. My leads? To simple. I'm sure you could do much more better(remember the ending!) Also I was surprised about lead synth. I thought it will be difficult to recover it. But that was easy:???:

Gar:mrgreen: You have a very weak ears :P

"Rammstein", "Oomph!" and "Pain" raised me as a guitarist, they using this amp. It has a boosted mids and sounds amazing in drop D and lower.

Rammstein mostly making low-mid boost and mid cut.

Oomph! - low-mid cut, then EQ low-mid boost

Pain - low cut, mid-high cut, then mid boost by distortion pedal.

This German AMP is amazing) This is the third track I used it! And I'm happy:mrgreen:

edit: I have net lags for about month. Now you know.