OCR00529 - Astyanax "Danger in Remlia"

orkybash

Astyanax 'Danger in Remlia'

Though I've never even HEARD of this game until now, this is a very enjoyable remix from Protricity. If there's one thing this particular remixer is good at, it's mixing things up so things stay interesting throughout the entire song - in this case, all 5:06 of it. My only beef here is the sample quality - the drums in particular could use a bit more punch. However, that doesn't mean it isn't worth a download. Recommended.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A good mix on the whole. My only gripes - lack of bass and weak drums. Granted, those are some big gripes, but they are the only reasons this isn't going on my playlist. If you aren't a drum/bass whore like me, I'm sure you would enjoy this mix to no end. Great cohesiveness with all the parts of the song and high energy synth action! Not to mention fun breaks!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Very well done. While I was looking down the pages at different remixes, I saw one from Astyanax and said, "OMG, I used to play that when I was 5!" Safe to say, I downloaded the mix and about 45 seconds in I started to recognize the theme. Thanks for bringing back some long forgotten memories. Good remix, 4/5.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Wasn't this Prot's only OCR that he hated? Must be too many drum loops and groove bias.

It is true, this pales in comparison to Ari's DKC2 offerings in sound quality, arrangement and variation. By itself, it isn't a bad listen, though the drums do leave something to be desired. Sounds a little 'tinny' overall, but that was the overall style that he was going for, I suppose.

• 1 year later...
Wasn't this Prot's only OCR that he hated? Must be too many drum loops and groove bias.

That's correct. He revealed that on VG Frequency #21, ironically while it was playing in the background I believe.

I appreciate, in its own ironic way, how Ari eventually vehemently turned against drumloop usage. He helped up the standard here by encouraging people to write original drum parts, which forced other artists to become more creative and thorough in their own work.

I still think this particular mix is great for its time. Despite Prot's own issues with it, it had effective sounds and textures, and the arrangement was developed very well. I never saw the shame in that.

• 4 months later...

This track has been on my playlist ever since I went through every mix via the torrents a few years back. It's a good track, with interestingly cool synthwork. The drums feel a bit weak, but there is enough layering going on to keep them interesting enough; make no mistake, the synths are the star here.

If anything, I think the mix may be a touch too long, or perhaps could have used the tail end a bit better to have a more satisfying ending. It seems that it's a little abrupt, but I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to that, so I can't fault it too much.

• 1 year later...

From start to finish, Danger in Remlia brims with a lively hop-step, melodically and percussion-wise. It's more emotionally arresting than the source, enunciating the perils of war, or a solo outing for the first time, or the perceived impossibility of rescuing a girl who only appears in dreams.

Otherworldly synths, sweeping arpeggios, and the choir are the major transporting keys. The choir emboldens my spirit and warns me that I could join the lost souls who've died defending Remlia if I'm not careful. 3:38 feels so final; it's like I've reached Blackhorn's castle already (which is fitting, since this song also plays during the cutscene before the last boss fight).

If this mix were to voice any of Astyanax's thoughts, it would be: "Wait for me, Princess Rosebud!"

• 5 months later...

Kind of interesting Prot didn't like this mix of his on OCR - I remember liking it, but part of it must be just nostalgia over the game as I don't know anyone else who have played the game.

This particular mix is pretty straightforward in following the original melody. It does enhance some parts in some ways. Definitely not a fan of the ending though. I can see some of the complaints about repetitiveness, but that partly follows from mainly following the originally melody.

• 1 month later...

The melody of this one is catchy, and the synth handling it is interesting in that it seems to slide to every note. The concept of sliding through a song doesn't seem appealing in word, but Prot makes this work well. That, combined with the overall bounciness of this makes the track an interesting listen.

The bass is lacking in volume and intensity, and the drums weren't the strongest point, but these things can be overlooked without much difficulty. I personally didn't find this too repetitive overall, but there are a few sections that could have been a bit shorter to increase the flow a bit.

Overall the criticisms are pretty minor, and the track is an enjoyable one.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00529 - Astyanax "Danger in Remlia"