Rome Sweet Rome

Shadow Wolf

So, in what I would consider a shining example of the so-called American Dream, Warner Brothers has picked up the movie rights to a comment made on a Reddit post.

About a month ago, a user asked the question, Could I destroy the entire Roman Empire during the reign of Augustus if I traveled back in time with a modern U.S. Marine infantry battalion or MEU? To his credit, instead of taking the (one might think) obvious path and bombing them to hell, he placed specific limits on the resources available to the Marine unit.

A user by the name of Prufrock451, who happens to be a 2 time Jeopardy winner and technical (read:encyclopedia and tech manual) writer, responded. And responded. With a pretty epic story treatment, that follows the rules laid down by the OP.

Evidently studio execs got wind of it and picked it up. I for one think the whole situation, as well as the story idea is (are?) pretty awesome.

In other news, how the hell have you been OCR? It's been a long time!

Warner Brothers has officially run out of ideas to be searching on reddit for a freaking feature-length movie. But still I find the whole situation to be absolutely awesome.

I think the movie itself will not be that great, largely because people like me tear apart the science and logic behind such movies. Why would US Marines go back in time? How do they go back in time (it better be faster than the speed of light...)? How would history change if the Marines won? These are questions WB needs to answer, or else the movie will fail dramatically.

And you are?

I know right? Hey Bob... I just... Just go surf until you find something we can cram Mel Gibson into, okay? Lemme know when you got something.

The movie may not be that great, I just LOVE the concept behind how it's happened. With the right military advisors it could be okay, but I mean... it's marines going back in time. Suspension of disbelief.

As to who I am, that is a question few can answer. :P I most commonly prefer the title "Lord of the Lurk." I've been here 9 years, sometimes I post, most times I don't, often I browse. I tend to show up for periods of a few weeks and disappear for years, but I'm always here.

Why would US Marines go back in time? How do they go back in time (it better be faster than the speed of light...)? How would history change if the Marines won? These are questions WB needs to answer, or else the movie will fail dramatically.

And you are?

I didn't read the entire thing, giant wall of text and all, but as I recall the marines didn't intentionally go back in time and the 'how' was never explained, which is probably a good idea. Trying to address the hows of time travel with your standard movie made-up techno-jargon would screw things up more then leaving the marines in a state of confusion. Not sure if the effects on the modern world were ever explain in the guys write-up but if the movie tries to explain it, I expect something similar to the end of Mark Wahlbergs Planet of the Apes.