OCR02310 - Legend of Dragoon "Deadbeat"

djpretzel

It's nice to finally see a LoD track on OCR. And I do like the sound of the mix....BUT...Remixing "Requiem" in this style...I mean this is Lavitz's them and Lavitz is my favorite character in this game (May he RIP or be kickin ass with a mighty "BLOSSOM STORM" in hell). I just seems to me that this track really doesn't do Lavitz justice. To me it loses the essence of the character.

This is sick! I had a bit of trouble getting into it at first but when it revved up at 00:36 and then dropped at 00:41 I was hooked. Done. My thanks for the addition to my library!

It's about time some LoD made it on - I always felt that soundtrack had some decent potential. Glad to see you took this track somewhere completely different from its roots - I love that!

I am SO stoked to see Legend of Dragoon getting some love on here at last, and even more so to see it being from one of my favorite songs from the game. :nicework: Great job with the song - it's definitely going on many of my playlists, even if - to quote Gadrius - it diverges from the original song's mood. But hey, that transformative aspect is one of the greatest things about OCR.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooh yes BP - Congrats on the 2nd mixpost, and I love this track! Never heard the source or played the game, so I can't comment on that side of it, but based on what I'm hearing I approve!

If it was me, I'd probably have extended the length a bit with a half-tempo section in there just to break up the pace a little, and maybe help with a final drop, but that doesn't take anything away from this arrangement you have here.

• 3 weeks later...

The bass rolls deep with this one. This is only Panther's second mix but I can tell he loves the bass. I also love the beat played right at the start. It's usually played for lighter drum & bass stuff but it still tends to work with the more abrasive synths in here.

I don't know the original enough to talk about how it fits the mood. I do wish you did more with it, but it's a good ride while it lasts.

• 2 weeks later...
Somethin tells me I need to step up my abilities. Lack of feedback bothers me a little bit.

Hey, it's not just you. :( A lot of mixes in the past 2 years haven't been commeted on as much as those in previous years, so don't feel dejected about it. It's a changing web environment; just keep doing what you like doing regardless of it.

Nevertheless, I remember this from the FBRC 2 years ago; to see a more melancholy theme being given a DnB makeover to me is like the equivalent of making a trance song out of Chrono Trigger's "At the Bottom of the Night" (i.e. not the best way to pay homage to the original), but if that's where your skills lie then that's something that I can't really fault.

For something so short, your learning within buildup has managed to work really well given the amount of substance in there, and the melody has been really manipulated with some crazy controller change work being given towards the lead synth throughout. Overall you've managed to do well with the source expansions and adapting it to this kind of genre.

One pointer I do have though is to watch your drum production; I don't know if it's me or not, but the kicks ended up being a little too sharp for me, as if it's close to being unintentionally distorted. Maybe watching your mid-frequencies on the kicks would be a good help to slightly dull them a little bit - they can be sharp, but not necessarily sharp enough to feel discomfort when hearing back.

All in all, a good track; might upscuttle some people due to the direction taken with the source, but it's free music so no complaining. :razz: I hope to hear more from you in the future, BP!

• 3 weeks later...

I do not know the source of this remix, so I was able to try to enjoy it based on its own merits, and enjoy it I did. Musically speaking, this is pretty much right up my alley.

If it was me, I'd probably have extended the length a bit with a half-tempo section in there just to break up the pace a little, and maybe help with a final drop, but that doesn't take anything away from this arrangement you have here.

Same here, though I would prefer a frantic double-tempo section instead of a half-tempo one.

• 10 months later...

Pretty gritty and dirty, which was the high point of this ReMix. This just drives home a sinister feeling on my end, and interestingly enough, the underlying melody reminded me of the progression of some later MMX series tracks. For a short track, this has a unique sound that seems to move at least a little. Wasn't fond of the cut-off ending, but that wasn't an issue that really bothered me.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02310 - Legend of Dragoon "Deadbeat"