*NO* Castlevania 'And Now, the Finale'

DragonAvenger

Hi dear Judges, hope you're all doing well! :)

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Chernabogue

Your real name: Alexandre Mourey

Your email address: chernabogue@gmail.com

Your website: http://www.fflproduction.fr

Your userid: 20943

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Castlevania

Name of arrangement: 'And Now, The Finale'

Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Nothing to Lose" / "Black Night" (and some bits of "Illusionary Dance", "Player Out" and "Poison Mind")

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.: Kinuyo Yamashita // NES

Link to the original soundtrack: NtL / BN

Your own comments about the mix: This arrangement was done for my project "Vampire Variations: A Musical Tribute to Castlevania", a gift fo the series' 25th Anniversary. The album is to be released at http://www.vampirevariations.com. This track is the second-to-last one and is the music that accompanies the final battle between Simon Belmont and Dracula. It is a full-orchestra, epic and ominous-feeling track, inspired by Hans Zimmer's music, but also but Oscar Araujo's. It is my biggest production so far (as far as I can remember). It was made with EWQL Symphony Orchestra in FL Studio. Be sure to check the album! ;)

Link to the mix: MediaFire

I hope everything's okay!

-Alex

• 4 weeks later...

The intro actually got me pretty pumped up, but when the song finally hit the energy slowly drained away. There were a few good dramatic moments, but It felt like the song was always building to something that never arrived, and a few sections where it was light bass and a single melodic line. I think a lot of details like glissandos, a more powerful percussion section, and additional counter-melodies would make this more exciting. Having more pronounced dynamics overall would be good too; Things ebb and flow a bit based on instrument layers, but it never feels really bombastic, or conversely, really intimate.

The mixture of the themes is pretty good, The samples are pretty nice, and the foundation is certainly built, but I think it needs more extremes.

No, please resubmit

I'm going to disagree with Andrew on some parts, I think you got the bombastic side of things down fairly well. I will agree that there could have been more at times, however, and a bigger overall contrast would have helped. There are a few areas where I feel like there could have been a little more low-end to balance things out, as well. Some of the 'happier' sections don't feel like they fit in with the sources, and it feels like a weird contrast at times. Not really sure if I can give any advice on that front, so I'll chalk it up to personal taste for now, and maybe the next judge will have some better thoughts.

These aren't easy sources to work with, as they themselves don't do much, so I think you worked pretty well with them, expanding out the arrangement and adding a lot of anxiety to the originals. I can't say I'm blown away with the mix as a whole due to the sources themselves, but I think you did a good job with what you had to work with. I'm willing to give this a nod, and wish you luck with the rest of the judging.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I was really impressed by what you did with the intro and the vocal clip integration, that's spot on. I do think the buildup is a little bit misleading, but I can see how it would work in context for a more strategic, slow boss battle like the kind you'd find in Metal Gear Solid (or maybe Castlevania? haha, I don't know :-P)

Anyway, onto the actual mix... the overall mix is pretty dynamic but I feel like you could bump up some of the quieter sections just a little bit without lessening the dramatic effect of the louder stabs. The section leading up to the very end is the most notable offender here. Your organ sample is really not very strong, and neither are the strings (there's other sample issues throughout but those two are the most noticeably under-performing elements in the ensemble. I also agree that there's some sections where there could stand to be more low end for the sake of balance.

On the plus side though, your arrangement is extremely creative in blending themes and is pretty well-paced overall. The strength of the arrangement is pretty close to winning me over, but I'd like to hear a few fixes before I'll pass it. Very close vote though dude, I really wanna see this posted!

NO (borderline/resubmit!)

• 2 months later...

I didn't listen to the sources so I can't comment on your use of them. The song sounded alright, but the other guys hit the big production problems. The articulations aren't realistic enough and sample quality is also weak on some instruments. I also thought the overall song was plodding, a lot of repeated patterns that didn't hold my interest.

NO (resubmit)