Name of Arrangement: 'Weaving the Threads of Time'

Name of Song Arranged:

'Chrono Trigger Theme', 'Apparation'

Link to Original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIO1sajyx_o

Tales Weaver: 'Apparation'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68oLYpV1R1g'

Comments:

Hi! I made this remix a while ago, but procrastinated submitting it, below is some info!

Here is a remix of songs from Chrono Trigger and Tales Weaver.

The first probably needs no introduction, but Tales Weaver is a Korean MMORPG, and I've been addicted to the soundtrack for quite a while now =)

This remix has both synth and acoustic elements, and I wove elements of both themes throughout the mix, most notably the background bell that pretty much plays through everything =) The accompanying youtube vid is here,

• 4 weeks later...

The bass sample was a little underwhelming, and I think the TalesWeaver source is pretty bland, but I guess because of that, it hides really easily under the Chrono Trigger Melody, making the track new and unique sounding.

The violin playing was very nice; expressive and refined, and the piano held it up well, though some parts were a bit mechanical, especially when more exposed. I found the bass to be a bit on the cheap-sounding side, but it was well programmed and the part it played was interesting. The opening synth sounds a little too detuned, but it's brief, and then fades to a pleasant drone, so no harm, really. Percussion is interesting but background for the most part. The beat is a bit repetitive, but it's just texture in the end.

Basically this is a subdued but intelligent arrangement that is carried by an excellent violin performance, and some creative source combinations. The dynamics are solid, and though there are few areas that could overall see improvement, it's a good take on a classic theme, marrying it to a more obscure one. I think it's good enough for the front page.

Yes

Honestly, Andrew nailed this vote, and I have pretty much nothing to add to it. I'll will mention that 1:30 the background is super subdued, maybe a tad too much, but that's a pretty small nitpick. In the end, both sources work pretty well together, and you've combined them nicely with some good expression. Nice work.

YES

The strength of the piano and lead violin really carry this. I'm not wowed by the drum and bass sequencing or the samples, both of which feel thin and unrealistic. Watch the velocities on your drums, they tend to be a little static and don't have much expressiveness overall. I would also suggest simplifying your bassline overall, as the notes are just playing too fast for your sample to keep up, and everything sounds muddy and indistinct.

Still, this mix shows that you've really improved your craft as far as creating a dynamic, well-produced arrangement otherwise. I'm getting some serious Melody vibes from your piano writing, it's absolutely gorgeous. I feel like the strong parts of this mix are just barely enough to outweigh the deficient parts. I'm not as strong as Deia/OA on this but it still squeaks by as far as I'm concerned. Good luck Chris :-D

YES (borderline)

• 3 weeks later...

the low end is definitely kinda muddy and undefined. when the bass, cello and pad are all playing together, it gets really hard to hear them individually. and I gotta agree that the bass is "cheap" sounding and could've been brought forward, but the partwriting there was solid. most of the other stuff sounded pleasant to me, and the violin performance was beautiful. arrangement blended the themes nicely and definitely resembled melody's work, as Emu mentioned. good job. :)

YES