Tales series: Summoning of Spirits - History

KyleJCrb

Yeah, NutS rocks! :o *eats macadamia ice cream*

Usa: You completely surprised me; I was expecting a piano solo, although a party anthem is just as interesting :D In the brief minute the incorporation of the theme is shown to be imaginative, and has managed to add to your diverse moods within your music. There are two things I need to state here though - firstly I'd say it needs some light dynamic processes. In other words, some of the more realistic instrumentation like the brass and the backing percussion could have done with reverb to better fit the room ambience. Depending on the software you work with, you can link the sounds up with a good range of VSTi's (or export the waves individually, apply the reverb in your wave editor and import it back into the mix that way) to make them sound more interesting in terms of granting ambience. Secondly, you sould also think of humanisation; the samples are rather cool for what they were, but some of the sequences feel a bit mechanical. That can be altered with varying attack times, release times, note lengths, velocities (most importantly of all!) and timings. But this is good stuff coming out so far; it'll be interesting to see what else you can do.

Thanks for your comments, Rexy, but keep in mind that this is still a baby WIP compared to the finished product. I'm still in the stage of composing, and the playing-it-again-in-a-much-better-and-much-more-emotional-way, and mixdown/mastering which also includes effects (and yeah, my keyboard has very good professional built-in effects, it can even process external sources with its effects) will be after that, so don't expect a refined mixdown or fluent playing by now. That's also the reason why I normally don't hand out WIPs, except release candidate ones or medleys where some parts are near-finished. But it's cool you like the ideas of the short segments of the product I sent here :)

Oh yeah, and to all others out there, here is the new WIP 4 for you! Grab it while it's still hot *lol* As you hear in this short teaser clip, this time own composition will not come too short. In fact, I plan on incorporating the different moods the party in ToS went through in Iselia. And remember, it's just a baby WIP after all :P

Because my current web host is being very flakey (I can't even access the Control Panel right now, and it seems that the server administrators are all dead, or something), I've been shopping around for some new web hosting. I've found what looks to be a damn good deal, and it looks like I'll finally get to own kylejcrb.com, :lol:. Once I get this hosting, the site should be transitioning to the new server in the next couple of days. The new hosting will have both a lot more storage space and a lot more bandwidth, which will be helpful when it comes time to release the project. I'll also be creating a forum soon (Lea, this is your cue to create a "Forum" button. :P) so those who want to discuss their arrangements or whatever in private will be able to do so. Exciting times ahead, folks!

So... I've got a new WiP. Not entirely sure about this one though. I'm going to add some stuff to the intro during the new harp section. (playing the actual melody once there is in the planning) Same goes for the guitars. I'll need some help on those things for the stuff after that though, since I've never written for guitar, so I don't know what exactly is possible and what sounds good.

As for the singing: once the entire intro is finished and the first part of the guitar is done, I'lls tart writing the melody and lyrics. :D

Anyway... Clicky!

Note: this is the last WiP I'm slamming on the internet in a while, since the song is getting more of a shape and body now.

EDIT: I made another change to the intro by replacing a part of the synth by a nylon guitar. The high melody pad now seems to clip at certain points though, but I can't see any distinct peaks in the waveform. Any solutions to this?

EDIT2: Nevermind, I got help and now it's fine.

The synth at the beginning is a bit "plunky" for my liking. I like the pad in the background, very subtle. The harp runs are pretty cool, but are maybe a bit too much up front and take the attention away from the melody. The melody by the way, could use a little variation. After all, it's the same four chords and melody being repeated for a full minute, so both melodic and harmonic variation would add to the interest of the song. The drums fading in is a good idea but could be a little more smooth and have some velocity editing on the hi-hat. The transition is definitely better now, it's kind of interesting how it's the same musical idea fading into itself but with different instrumentation. Even so, it might be better in the end to progress to something a little more fresh to the listener after the introduction. Glad to see the bass is up front. ^^

EDIT: Oh, it's different now! XD Okay, well I won't say much about the guitar's sound because I'm sure it's just intended as a "placeholder" for the real stuff. The strum would sound better a little smoother though (offset a notes just a tiny bit less), and with some ornamentation in between the chords. You did say you aren't too familiar with the way guitar parts are, so Prizm and I can help you with that along the way if you'd like.

go get your coats ppl

Does this apply to Overcoat?

I liked the arrangement a lot! I didn't think the intro was interesting enough to go on for a full 30 seconds though. I'll focus on what I thought of the sounds for now. ^^ The piano didn't sound bad when the mix was thick. The kick drum reminded me of something from FL but EQ'ed a little. Personally, I think it would help the dancy feel if it actually stood out a little less.

Good job on making a really "cold" sounding WIP! Looking forward to more!

go get your coats ppl

Does this apply to Overcoat?

I liked the arrangement a lot! I didn't think the intro was interesting enough to go on for a full 30 seconds though.

If I recall, some of NutS' earlier arrangements had intros that lasted longer than 2 minutes, so he's really toned it down now. :P

Sounds great, NutS! One of the synths is a little loud, but otherwise, a good start.

yeah the long intro was intentional, to emphatize a bit the chilly feel. It would feel so chilly if I went to the melody and the beat after 10 seconds, its just to set up the mood :wink:

Yeah I think the kick stoods out a bit too much though. Its not a FL kick though, I got it from an independent refill for Reason. If there's one to blame, is Sadorf! he's being saying how much my kicks suck after I moved to reason that I've trying too hard to make them sound good lol.

Don't worry this was just a first demo, and plenty of things will be fixed before the last version. Thanks for the quick feedback though, It helps a lot ^_^

Yes Reason's piano sucks. I'll see how I can use my old piano soundfonts.(Still haven't used soundfonts in reason)

OT: Use the NN-XT. It'll load soundfonts.

Your kick is too loud, as mentioned. I think it might actually clip but I didn't run it through the spectrum analyzer to find out.

Reason kicks ass. ;) Good start going on, here - hope to see more of it soon. I have to hit some of the other WIPs (and get started on my own work!)

Maybe PM Lee Lewis and see if he'll fill in the last track for ToP. He'll probably want to choose whatever he wants though, that rebellious guy. XD

This is a subliminal message. Harmonious Moment rocks. Harmonious Moment rocks. Raising a Curtain also rocks. Open Fire too. You people better cover these as your alternate tracks. This has been a subliminal message.

Greatest song ever. Though it's "post", not burst.

analoq said he would join if we absolutely needed somebody (IE; somebody drops at the last minute, or somebody sucks at remixing and we need somebody who doesn't...stuff like that :P), but he's like, the last resort guy. I'll try maybe asking a few other people first.

• Liontamer changed the title to Tales series: Summoning of Spirits - History