Your string gauge and favourite picks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037M872Q/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details

Been using these for the last month or two.

.012-.060 (Before you go "LOLWUT" I've had my guitar tuned to C for pretty much the last year or two)

They generally sound great, but I need to have my nut modified to fit them better among other things.

I need to replace the G-string though, because it's not wound and it sounds terrible.

You'd think @.020 it'd be wound.

Or at least there's probably something wrong with my guitar that always makes my G-String sound terrible. Even with good intonation.

Before this, I was using either

http://www.amazon.com/DR-Strings-DDT-11-Nickel-Electric/dp/B003JFZ562/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_text_c

or

http://www.amazon.com/DR-Strings-DDT-12-Nickel-Electric/dp/B003JFVESA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1321408975&sr=1-5

I can't recall.

Edited by BONKERS

So why do you guys use the strings/picks you do?

Do they make any specific differences?

I'm a guitar noob, so I've kind of been wondering what the deal is with all the different string types.

What it comes down to most is the feel of your guitar. The string gauge determines how easy the guitar is to play (lighter strings bend easier and aren't as damaging to your fingers) and also the tone of the strings (heavier strings tend to have a little bit more bottom end definition to the sound). And the pick gauge determines the string attack sound, a little of the string tone, and most importantly the playing feel in your hands. Heavier picks give you a more controlled and rigid feel, and smaller picks give you more control.

There are also other factors like lower tuning stability with heavier strings and different types of attack dynamics with light/heavy picks etc etc, but mainly what it comes down to is playing comfort.

What it comes down to most is the feel of your guitar. The string gauge determines how easy the guitar is to play (lighter strings bend easier and aren't as damaging to your fingers) and also the tone of the strings (heavier strings tend to have a little bit more bottom end definition to the sound). And the pick gauge determines the string attack sound, a little of the string tone, and most importantly the playing feel in your hands. Heavier picks give you a more controlled and rigid feel, and smaller picks give you more control.

There are also other factors like lower tuning stability with heavier strings and different types of attack dynamics with light/heavy picks etc etc, but mainly what it comes down to is playing comfort.

Lol, I'm just using the strings that came with my guitar...I should probably get those replaced sometime though.

This is the main reason I love Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms. The moment I found out they feel just as good and tight in drop C as Regular Slinkys do in standard tuning, I was sold.

So why do you guys use the strings/picks you do?

Do they make any specific differences?

I'm a guitar noob, so I've kind of been wondering what the deal is with all the different string types.

Heavy (1.3mm-2mm), rigid and pointy plectrums give better control. They don't sound the best for all situations but I feel they are the best all-rounder for my style (which is fairly fast, precision leady type stuff).

If I'm recording strummy acoustic (or even funk) guitar I always use a thin crappy plastic one. Just sounds and feels better for that kind of thing.

All depends on the situation, and whether you're picking a plectrum for it's sound, or how easy it is to use for what you're doing. Inevitably there is a compromise somewhere.

Depends on the guitar and scale length.

Always the small stubby 3mm though, can use a jazz mini in a pinch but my private playing is all economy picking and the red jazz picks catch the strings a bit, like scrape across them.

With the stubbies it's more like playing with air and you can get a serious clack with them and good bang for your buck on attack intensity, the louder dynamic with smaller movement is sweet for lazy players like me.

• 1 year later...

I switched up to a custom set of Roto strings. Those guys are cool, you can email them and they'll make you whatever gauge you want as long as you buy at least 5 packs.

I have a normal set of 10s on my 7 string but with heavier E and B strings, 48 and 60 I think.

Also I now use only the Petrucci Jazz III's (just under 2mm) and Wegen 'twin' gypsy picks which are something like 3.5mm and ridiculously awesome.

On my Martin HD-28, I use medium gauge d'addario acoustic strings. They pair very nicely with the deep boom of the Martin. I use a shingle pick for that, 2.5mm. I grew up as a bluegrass player, so anything not rigid typically doesn't do it for me. If I'm doing strum patterns, I might switch to something floppier.

On my Gitane D-300, I use some sort of jazz strings that I've forgotten and a Dunlop Primetone 3mm pick made out of the skulls of my enemies.

Mandolin: I use martin mandolin strings, medium gauge, and a David Grisman "Dawg" pick.

• 2 weeks later...