Anamanatari Forever -- Katamari inspired 9bit

ectogemia

Finish it!! I want to hear more! lol I love it, it's totally Katarmari-esque. I love the chip synths. I've always wanted to know how to truly replicate the sounds without it sounding too thin. I love what you did with the 8-bit sounds. How do you do that?

Well, there are a couple of ways.

One is that I use the magical8bit vst and tweakbench's triforce vst. Another one I commonly use is the Peach SOUNDFONT, not the vst. As such, it's treated as a native instrument by FL Studio, so I can use all the piano roll tricks to manipulate the sound.

The other way is to use a synth like 3xOsc (again, nice because it is native to FL & allows for fun piano roll madness) and just make a nice, simple waveform and EQ it and process it a bit to make it mix well. 3xOsc doesn't allow for pulse wave modulation, so you'll have to use some other synth to make pulse leads. You can, however, make simple square leads, and you can even do NES chorusing by generating two square waves and slightly detuning each. This should sound like the intro to Zelda. For maximum purity, don't use stereo detune, but because it's 2011... go ahead and use stereo detune if it's available :P

Anyway, the EQing just about always requires removing some of the highs to get rid of the buzzy sound & make it more smooth. It's usually good to add a LITTLE distortion/overdrive for leads. A small about of reverb and delay in that order never hurts either to add some width & circumvent that thinness you were talking about.

In some of my mixes, Sagescape for instance, the chippiness comes from a lot of careful sequencing to get the chippy feel. I can't really explain how to do that, but there are some common little rhythmic and melodic motifs you can utilize in a sequencer to accomplish a glitchy, chippy sound. I could send you a project file or two if you're interested so you can get a feel for how I sequenced these things.

I dig this. Its really chill, but it has that chiptune "bite" to it, as I call it. Really neat effects and such used here too, I like it a lot. I would love to hear the finished product when you're done with it.

I am unfortunately not much of an expert for production so I don't know if I have any pointers in that department. Musically it sounds great though, so you're going in a good direction I'd say. Keep it up.