OCR02312 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Dancing Leaves"

djpretzel

For a first time remix this was beautiful

You say it might be "Impressionist, or Romantic, or Baroque" or whatever,

To me it was like music for the soul, which to be honest is how piano playing should be.

Great first impression so far doc

Can't wait to see what you come up with next :D

Although both the previous entry from Chrono cross and this one are of the same genre, their is a distinctly different feel between them. This one seems to alternate between a more somber, "easy-listening" sound to it, and a much more fiery and vibrant set of melodies with appropriate volume. The "lighter" parts of it definitely have a taste of debussy in it. I greatly enjoyed this one. I already have an affinity for classical remixes, and this one doesn't dissapoint - even if it seems a bit too loud at certain points (particularly around 1:30).

This is fantastic; the arrangement definitely 'screams' Debussy and Ravel but has enough charater to hold its own. My only criticism is that it's a little on the short side, but considering the level of skill it takes to play something of this calibur, I have no right to complain, let alone bring it up. I sincerely hope we get to hear more from you, Mr. Nano!

Thanks for the comments so far, everyone! I pretty much went crazy with the interpretation of this one, so I understand concerns about it being too liberal. I agree with djp that it can be tricky to apply the same standards across genres varying from hip hop to impressionism and beyond... so, glad this one made the shave. :smile:

SubNormal, definitely appreciate the comments about production. I still have plenty to learn!

Holy gecko! Impressionistic and impressive, such a Debussy's debut.

The mix is meant to conjure up images of being lost in an eerie, enchanted forest. Around every turn there are leaves fluttering in the distance, constantly moving behind a pall of bluish mist, playing tricks on your eyes and ears. If you listen carefully, they almost seem to be laughing at you...

I love this type of art in music, with stories behind the melodies. May I say, in this song they're pretty much disturbing somehow, coz they don't just pass through the ears. It's such an intimidating, eerie mood, I'd most probably compare it to something like its backstory.

I love <3 it, dude! Even though it scares me sometimes :P

Ever considered jazz?

Rather, you best consider jazz.

LOVE bebop jazz in particular. I tinker (and fail) from time to time. It's the whole improv thing. But we still need to find something to collab on.

Also, just for kicks, here's a comparison of volume levels across three piano recordings I have, two of them being professional recordings:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0ByCPbTAe4OkKNjk2MWM0MjMtMGM3Ny00OTAwLTk0ZTEtNjlmNDFiOTcwMjRi&hl=en_US

So, volume-wise, I think my mix falls safely within the norm for even professional piano recordings, even though other aspects of the production are sub-professional.

My first casual listen cast a negative impression on me because I couldn't detect the source tunes at all. Then, I reprogrammed my mind to look out for it the 2nd time around...and that's when I realized the brilliance of this piano mix. This is definitely not one of those tunes which flashes the source in your face. Not only is the playing fluid, but it's such a creative way to present the Lost Woods track. It's like when someone states something, but you didn't get it. So then he/she starts explaining it to you.

Great stuff. Looking forward to more.

This is really great work! I think the source is present enough. Even parts that don't have it specifically, allude to it just fine. The development was a little more in-depth than a lot of remixes, but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. You did a great job! Excellent playing, too! Please, please keep it up.

I'm really loving the creative way the sources are utilized here, and the harmonies are just so lush and beautiful... a fantastic piece of work here, like everything else you do.

Yes its rather liberal but I have no trouble making the connections to the sources here. My biggest gripe here is the cut off ending. It just stops dead, sounds very unnatural. Thats the nitpick of nitpicks tho.

I'd love to collab with you sometime :D

• 1 month later...

This is pretty unique as far as piano pieces go on OCR. I really like the recording quality a lot compared to a lot of others I hear for the piano. The arrangement also stands out for remaining in the higher octaves for the most part. It has a sense of mystery to it that I like. The performance isn't without flaws, but this is a pretty good job.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the expression. The big fast arpeggios are really fun to listen to!

I love the dynamics and their variety throughout the piece. It makes me think of Romantic Era music.

The performance isn't 100% perfect, but that adds to the realism in my opinion.

Everything just works to make this piece come alive.

My only complaint. Too short! I want more! :razz:

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02312 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Dancing Leaves"