Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Ice Cap Zone 1 - Recreation

Ryan Jobson

Hey guys, this is my recreation of Ice Cap Zone 1 made in Logic Pro. I wasn't sure whether to post this on Original or in ReMix's, because technically it's neither.

My goals right now are to get better at production, and I have been struggling to put out any new original content quick enough. I thought if I worked on recreations first, then ReMix's, I could work on getting better at my production skills and then when the idea of something original strikes me, I'll have improved my skills a bit. Hope this makes sense...

Anyways, enough of my blabbering. The link is below and I would love to hear some feedback, comments or thoughts on it! Thanks in advance,

~Syllix

(720p is available but not sure if the quality is any better...)

Thanks DusK! I still am not happy with my production and mixing when compared to other ReMixers here. I am, however, using only the instruments in Logic Pro 9. I don't have or use any VSTs, free or bought, but I'm not using that as an excuse that my music still sounds "weak." I know I can achieve great sounding music just in Logic if I keep practicing. I'm glad you liked this one though. I'll be posting another Sonic recreation hopefully within the next week, and then I may try my first ReMix :)

Cheers,

Syllix

Well, you put "Sonic" in the title so I guess i'm compelled to click on it.:mrgreen:

As an early mixing attempt it's not too bad. Reminds me alot of where I was around a year ago. Is this a midi rip by chance? Even though I think they are great for getting some mixing material to work with it does prevent the chance to internalize the music you are working with. I prefer the much slower approach of figuring out each note by ear (or by occasional glance at a midi file). This will do wonders for your ear training. If that's what you did here then great! if not, not so great! but at least you got going!

I was listening to some of your other stuff on your youtube channel and I think you more than have the interest needed to excel. My one dig would be that there's alot of frequencies clashing to the point of extreme abrasiveness. When you first start mixing 0 everything out on your faders then gradually find the level they need to be at one section at a time. Once you start to get an idea of how you want it to sound, chip away with the EQ to get things to fit.

There's alot to mixing and the way I was able to practice it was by remixing the same piece over and over and over and over. Don't get discouraged, cause you are going to get discouraged alot. Be ready to break yourself down and build yourself back up constantly.

Gar23, thanks a lot for your comments.

Regarding your comments about the Sonic tune, first, I'm not exactly sure what you mean about midi rip, or internalizing my music. What I did was I opened up a brand new file in Logic Pro, went to youtube and found the original here:

I listened to it (many times) and picked out each instrument one by one, etc. and then started sequencing in Logic trying to get things to sound as close as possible.

As for the other two original songs on my youtube channel, those are my only completed songs, so I have really only ever mixed two songs before attempting to recreate the Sonic tune. I suffer from not finishing what I start, but I'm trying to correct that because I know how much you can learn in terms of sound design, production, arrangement, mixing, etc. when you complete a song start to finish.

I went back and listened to Into the Starry Night the Winter Odyssey song and I can hear those clashing frequencies you are talking about. I will keep trying. I think I have a pretty good understanding of mixing, rolling off the lows on instruments that dont need it, panning, etc. - it'll just take practice and time.

Thanks again for your comments. Hopefully you'll eye up my second recreation which I think is already sounding a lot better (Sonic 1 - Green Hill). Hope to post it within the week.

Cheers,

~Syllix

Gar23, thanks a lot for your comments.

Regarding your comments about the Sonic tune, first, I'm not exactly sure what you mean about midi rip, or internalizing my music. What I did was I opened up a brand new file in Logic Pro, went to youtube and found the original here:

I listened to it (many times) and picked out each instrument one by one, etc. and then started sequencing in Logic trying to get things to sound as close as possible.

That's the best way you could have done it. That I thought you might have done a midi rip means you have a fantastic ear! A midi rip is when you get a midi file say from vgmusic.com, import it into a project then reassign all the midi tracks with your own vst's. Record, Mix, Done. Someone else's work.

If you don't have any material to work with then a midi rip is ok to do, but i think it's more important to work on your ear than to rush right into the mixing stage.

Looking forward to hearing the next one.