OCR02313 - Super Mario RPG "Big Bad Koopa Dubstep"

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...
(Edit)

What makes this even stranger to me is that he really is

, and could've went with something else.

Oh wow, yeah. I'm right with you there, this sounds SO much better. Punchier drums, more changeups, a much more cohesive bassline and soundscape... I dig this.

That just further confirms my suspicion that this mix had the unfortunate luck of being submitted right when dubstep was a budding genre that probably had not been explored by anyone on the site... but then during the year or so that it was in limbo waiting to be posted, the genre evolved at such a rapid pace that the mix ended up sounding WAY more dated than it would have at the time it was created. I still don't feel like it's a strong mix even with that taken into consideration, but I'd definitely like to hear another submission in this style from Teagan that sounds more like the Fire Emblem mix that CC Ricers linked. I think it would go over a lot better. It's nice to know that Teagan's got it in him to make something a little bit more in line with the kind of quality expected from modern dubstep.

• 4 weeks later...

Ha, this mix brought controversy unexpectedly. I feel like the execution in this mix is lacking in the production arena. The wubs are not nice and fat with the low end, and the synths are lacking. The song fares better later on, but those issues being fixed really could help the enjoyability of the mix I feel. The arrangement is pretty good here, it's just a bunch of production issues that sort of drag it down some for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not big on dubstep. I really don't like it.

But regardless, this ReMix really steps outside Dubstep enough for me to really enjoy it.

That's one thing I'm quite glad for. I can enjoy the Mix because it doesn't restrict itself to WUBBING everywhere.

I think the places it was used actually were strategic and quite clever.

A lot of people don't like this mix. I don't see why. I don't like Dubstep and I think it's just fine.

Ha, this mix brought controversy unexpectedly. I feel like the execution in this mix is lacking in the production arena. The wubs are not nice and fat with the low end, and the synths are lacking. The song fares better later on, but those issues being fixed really could help the enjoyability of the mix I feel. The arrangement is pretty good here, it's just a bunch of production issues that sort of drag it down some for me.

Well, you have to remember Bahamut, dubstep evolved quite a bit since this track was submitted to OCR.

The standards, then and now, are different.

ok, my earlier post was borderline keyboard warrior material, so i think after re-listening to this one for a while i can now make a better review without coming across as a rant.

The main reason why I liked/like this mix is because I wasn't expecting this theme to ever be arranged in a dubstep/electronic/whatever kind of way, so i enjoyed the reinterpretation much more than the production values.

the samples/sounds are extremely lo-fi (compared to other dubstep tracks, or even Teagan's more recent tracks), but it gave me an snes nostalgic appreciation rather than a turn off.

as i said in my earlier post, it's not a memorable dubstep track but it's a pretty good re-arrangement of the source.

clearly, this would've been grandma's famous bees knees signature pimp-sauce strudel if it came out two years ago, but this mix showed up to the dubstep party a bit late.

teagan's next mix is sure to be face-melting material though. :<

• 2 weeks later...

The wobble in the beginning goes on for far too long IMO; personally, I find it incredibly annoying.

The "cleaner" part starting around the 1:00 mark is actually quite awesome; it reminds me of mid-90s PS1 music.

With the siren coming in around 1:40, we're right back into annoyance territory, though.

The following breakdown and build-up starting around 2:10 is very awesome again; same goes for ~2:50 onwards.

Dunno, but to me, it seems that everything about this remix is good except for the wubwub and the siren. However, taking that out would result in a very different song; certainly not one to be qualified as dubstep.

• 1 month later...

Hahaha! These have all been interesting and funny to read. Honestly I don't even care that there's a lot of negative feedback, it's just awesome to have so many people talking about something that I created. It's a cool feeling.

This track was my first one ever, and from being a drummer I was accustomed to using one limb to hit each drum/cymbal so I guess I thought it would be okay to use a drum machine similarly, with crap drum samples. I also had no patience or appreciation for production techniques.

So there are a lot of things I know I could improve in this track, but I still love it for what it is. I'm glad that some of you do too. :):350:

• 1 year later...

I usually don't like 'badly made' dubstep, but I think this is perfectly valid dubstep. It's a little borderline annoying, but not a dealbreaker to me. I for one fully support constantly evolving dubstep songs.

I just wish the wobbles were a bit quieter to allow the leads to come through, but aside from that, I like it, especially the part at 2:06. Pretty sweet textures there.

Drums are passable IMO. Not super great, but they work.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02313 - Super Mario RPG "Big Bad Koopa Dubstep"