OCR01361 - Star Fox "Fortuna Favors the Funk"

This mix is excellent! In fact, I love ALL the funk mixes from this site.

Is it me, or does some parts early in the song seem to skip... :?

Anyway, just so you composers know...people (maybe just me) dance to these funk mixes, so keep em' comming. Its like these mixes are made for popping and locking.

Holy crap, do I love this. At least, I did. For some reason, after listening to it for about two minutes, it starts to get boring. . . I'm not entirely sure how else to explain it. It just sort of gets dull after the first half of the song. But then again, there's not much to work with in the first place.

But anyway, nice job.

And yeah. I didn't feel like a full-fledge review. Sorry.

I didn't think it was anything special at first, listening through these crappy speakers. Then I listened with headphones and the sound quality shot way up and could hear so much more power. Then on top of that the whole mix started piecing together and not just sounding like one dull sound happening over and over--repetitious as the guy above me might be experiencing. It's like a section of the piece was added to the song when switching to headphones, probably because by the time that part around the song had been sort of blocked from my head, which sometimes happens with songs on first or second listens.

I wish the solo was gone about a bit differently. Its ending with the 16th triplets just made it sound like some really generic solo from DJP.

Is it me, or does some parts early in the song seem to skip... :?

HAHAHHAHAHA

I bet I know what that is. There's a pretty prominent percussion sample used on a 16th offbeat which made me think something was wrong the first couple of times it happened. I had gotten used to it on the speakers, but even more so on the headphones to where it seemed to fit perfectly. Just count by fours to the whole song and eventually you'll find out there's no skipping.

Love it, as others have said it has gone into my folder! The only thing that I wasnt so keen on was the lead synth sound but thats the only thing that stuck out the rest superb. I think I'll have another listen now! It really takes me back I think I'll crack out my copie of starwing (fortuna was on the hard rout wasnt it? with those funky water dino things, as well as large plant flower things??)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I love this one almost as much as Love Hurts. Perhaps more. Heck, I'll just say that I like them both equally. I love the great rhythms in this song and just the overall funky-spacey feel. I was a little disappointed, though, that the off-beat 16th notes stopped after only a few plays at the beginning. It confused me for a bit as I wasn't sure if I'd heard them correctly or not the first time through.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Funky.

It reminds me of the Ghost Houses from Super Mario World slightly in terms of musical themes but more in a terms of atmosphere.

The first half has too much of a white noise feel. Aurally, the soundscape isn't too vary to much, feel's repetitive. If you're looking for something funky to spice up your day, then check this out. Otherwise I remain a solid neutral in opinion about this; it's not bad but neither is it spectacular or groundbreaking.

• 2 months later...

Okay, before you dis this comment for being irrelevant, I must point out that a Title is a big part of a piece of music, it forms the music's identity before the music is even heard!

"Fortuna Favors the Funk" is an amazing accomplishment of titling.

For those who feel that despite my argument this comment is still obnoxiously irrelevant, I listened to the music and as far as I can tell, it's a good example of funk!

• 2 months later...

Ah yes. I remember this one. Pretty fondly, I might add.

A great blend of spacey tones on that sporadic sort of funk that OCR is no stranger to. I like the boldness of the direction; there is no ambiguity of what this piece was meant to achieve, and it's easy to appreciate the straightfoward approach. I can see a point of contention when it comes to percussion, but most of the time I coast over that anyway, so I don't think it's very fair for me to lambaste that.

I don't think this is the style of mix that can get noticably repetitive, myself. And even if I did, I think this is a wonderfully varied ride through space with funky accompaniment. It's by no means the most potent or complex mix that djp has ever come out with, but hey, it doesn't have to be. I still regard it pretty highly.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01361 - Star Fox "Fortuna Favors the Funk"