[........]

Frederic Petitpas

I haven't had a full playthrough of the second quest in a very long time, but I remember being slightly disappointed that the third quest was no different than the second.

And the second really starts to get tough around level 4. That one is massive, with at least one spot, if I remember correctly, that you can easily trap yourself in. Good times. I might actually do that this week.

[Alternate method for unlocking 2nd quest: beat the 1st one.] :-P

EDIT: Your secret's out, Mirby. Now we all know you're a ninja.

The tricky thing about the 2nd quest is that you should never go to a dungeon 4 or above without 100 rupees -- giving up a maximum point of health to get out of a room is unacceptable.

Also, the 2nd Quest really demands that you have the upgraded shield asap, since Stalfos will shoot otherwise-unblockable things.

Overall, the only extremely cheap thing about it IMO is the location of dungeon 8. I mean seriously wtf how are you supposed to find that?

It is a lot easier to find all the secrets when you have infinite time. :-)

Seriously. Everything seemed easier to do as a kid, looking back on it, but I think it was just that I had the opportunity to do whatever for embarrassing amounts of time until WHOAAA 100% complete.

I didn't know Zelda had quests, I thought you just ran around aimlessly until you got bored and turned it off. :|

:o

I managed it with quite a bit of GameFAQs map help. I have no idea how you were supposed to fumble your way around otherwise.

On the history of early social culture within the video game community:

Years before this — one year before Super Mario Bros., even — there was a game called The Tower of Druaga. This game was essentially Pac-Man with a human protagonist. And not just any human protagonist — a knight named Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh had a quest: to rescue a princess who had been kidnapped by a demon named Druaga, who lived at the top of a sixty-floor tower. Gil’s duty was to wander the tower, slaying slime monsters with his sword, blocking fireballs with his shield, and finding semi-randomly placed keys with which to open the semi-randomly placed door on each floor. The hilarious catch of Druaga was that a player could climb all the way to the sixtieth floor, only to learn that he cannot win the game because he does not possess the necessary “hidden treasures”.

The “hidden treasures” in Druaga are the alpha and the omega if you’re talking about kleptomania as videogame design. On each floor, the location of the “treasure” is different, as are the criteria for unlocking it. The player starts each floor in a different location, and the layout of the maze floors are semi-random (one of many recognizable templates selected at random) though the treasure will always be in the same place of its respective floor on each playthrough. Some of the criteria for unlocking a treasure are alarmingly complex: stand in a particular square, face north, press the attack button fourteen times, step one square to the left, face south, press the attack button three times, step two squares right, face west, press the attack button eight times (I’m exagerrating slightly), and a treasure appears in a remote square visible to the player.

Watching a play-through of Druaga on YouTube will yield only questions in the mind of the uninitiated viewer; chief among those questions might be “why would someone want to play this?” In this day and age where Druaga is remade with polygons, paid tribute in dungeons in larger RPGs, the subject of many online strategy guides, and stuffed into portable classics compilations which are kind enough to include a list of the treasure locations and requirements in the instruction manual, it may be a tough question to answer. The solution to the mystery is that the overflowing crypticism was the whole point of Druaga.

No, the means for obtaining treasures were not originally published in “videogame magazines”: this was 1984.

Miyamoto had vocally appreciated Tower of Druaga for its ability to reach outside the game and inspire players to write things down and share conversations with fellow players. He wanted to do something similar with Zelda — where certain unassuming bushes can be burned down or certain unassuming wall tiles can be bombed, revealing staircases leading to underground caves where players can earn money or buy items. The “second quest” of the game, opened after completing the first quest, goes so far as to hide the majority of its dungeon entrances in completely obscure and arbitrary places. The game was structured this way, no doubt, to provoke conversation among friends.

So essentially the idea was for the community to piece together the hints and secrets as an exercise in information exchange. You know, before GameFAQs and Nintendo Power, etc.