Vampire Variations: A Musical Tribute to Castlevania

Chernabogue

I have to agree. I love the style and the production. The first time I ever heard it, it made me grin so much. Hat definitely stole the show haha.

Brandon's track is another one that made me smile. The samples from Vampire's Kiss make it epic. Bah, I might just do a review of the album. There are too many tracks that I like :)

I wouldn't have been cool with them selling the albums for profit.. and these knuckleheads printed up like a $60 poster for the album to put in a store, among other things.. I wouldn't be surprised if they funneled all the cash back into printing and marketing costs and still came up short. :-(

I will ask them because I want to know myself, I remember them saying they were going to print a pricy double-album with all the artwork pages though, and those are much more expensive than a regular single disc

Thanks for asking us instead of just writing slanderous remarks on an open forum. Oh wait...

Here is Harmony:

It was a double album because, yeah, that was the album. Was it pricey? Yes. Was there any way around that, to do it properly? No. That album was printed for $10 a copy because people got uppity about there being profit possibility, so I purposely priced it very low, so people wouldn't even consider the idea. In the end, it was about a $200 loss out of my own pocket. Because despite the fact it was taken by donations, that went to my paypal and my bank account, and I handled all the orders. I took the loss knowingly, because I just wanted to make it happen. Because I cared about the project that much. I wasn't sure how much of a loss it would be, but i expected around 100-200 bucks. And that isn't "were going to" by the way. We did it. Shipped them all out too. You're welcome.

As for my posters? First, it's $40, not $60, thanks. Those prints are my own artwork that i decided to make as special things for people who might want them. They each cost $30 to make, and then shipping costs leaves me maybe at best, $5 each. Hardly much profit there, and certainly not enough to make up my losses for Harmony. But thats not what I made them for, I made them as special things. But even still, I am within my rights to do whatever I want with them. It's my store. Not Harmony's store.

As for Vampire Variations:

You're on the project, so you should be very well aware of everything. This discussion has been going on for months, and every single time someone says "profit?" I and others are right there to shut it down. It was brought up on the shizz, it was brought up on kngi's forums, this is not a new discussion out of nowhere. You could have helped out here and told people this, but instead you decided to throw us all under the bus and pretend we simply did this out of nowhere, with some secret personal agenda about making profit. And doubly so with us "knuckleheads" on Harmony.

I am sorry for any confusion about this to anyone else, But I would really like everyone to take the above story, to heart. People tend to flip out over the idea of profit, and it always seems to revolve around the idea that people are trying to steal work, rip people off, etc. Instead of assuming "OMG! HOW DARE THEY!?" Which I have read a number of times, I would really like people to think more along the lines of "hmm, maybe they just don't know? I should mention it to them". Because we're all fans here, guys. A huge community of people who dedicate countless hours of our own lives to things that are either free, or certainly not enough to make a living off of. I would challenge someone to find me a person or group who fits the stigma of trying to steal work from people and make profit. Albums have been created that do make profits, but that number is so small compared to what it is often portrayed like. And even those people making a profit, are fans doing it for the love. No one gets rich doing this. Even Powerglove, the most commercially successful VG act out there, is not rich from doing it. Rather than assuming the worst, I'd really like people to lean towards the best. And then, maybe just work out some legal details from there.

As for the album itself- away from rant mode..

It is an incredible collection and I really hope everyone enjoys it. It's been an honor to be a part of it, and for the art side.. myself and my friends worked incredibly hard to do the best job we could. We ARE selling posters of those too, but thats my end, my store. And I'm doing it to support my friends- more than myself, because they deserve it. This whole posters idea came from Harmony, but I really like it, makes the albums even more special.

Thanks to everyone who made the album happen, and everyone else for the support. Even if hard copies don't happen, it's been an incredible project, worthy of any CV fan.

Thanks. And sorry for the rant.

I wasn't talking about Harmony and I didn't say anything slanderous as far as I know. I was off about the price of the poster but everything I said was based on stuff I read in the thread. Whether I saw your post on the one page out of 60 is not my fault. :-P

Edit: It wasn't the price I had wrong, it was the object. I meant the 'banners' were $60. I guess I need to differentiate better between banners and posters since VV had both. :-P

Brandon just got owned.

I posted in the Shizz thread, but I'll post again here - I'm loving the album, great job by all involved. Major props to BONKERS though for his excellent job here - I think his work here is stronger than in the upcoming Maverick Rising album (although one of his songs in particular for that album is pretty damn good too).

I should add to Dave's comments on the album for X dollars line of thought - OCR plays it pretty tightly when it comes to album printings for legal reasons. That isn't to say that we don't understand the desire to charge just to recoup printing costs, but monetary accountability can be a liability legally, and just one that OCR doesn't want to risk.

Oh yes bahamut, I got owned so haard! Because I said poster when I meant banner! Noooo! :-(

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that there is confusion about how the albums are being printed and sold. Any question I had was answered then. Not sure why FoxxDragon chose to call me out over nothing but that's fine.

And no Foxx I wasn't throwing you under the bus, I was trying to justify your acquisition of funds... by saying there was promotional material printed.

DSCF5215.jpg

It was a misunderstanding, no harm done... sorry if I was a bit snappy but I don't like being misrepresented.

In ON TOPIC news, I've got a music video coming up for Vampire's Kiss... keep on the lookout for that soon. :-P

Brandon just got owned.

I should add to Dave's comments on the album for X dollars line of thought - OCR plays it pretty tightly when it comes to album printings for legal reasons. That isn't to say that we don't understand the desire to charge just to recoup printing costs, but monetary accountability can be a liability legally, and just one that OCR doesn't want to risk.

With all respect, this album isn't OCR. The whole thing of physical print runs is for people who simply love having a professionally produced CD. If they could each pay to have their own done at the highest possible quality from a company as they liked, this wouldn't be an issue.

That however, is not the case and I don't see that it should come out of anybodies pocket personally when all you are doing is providing them with the chance for said CD. Profit isn't being made but that doesn't mean you should make a loss just to play it safe in some way. Nothing wrong with donating to charity at the end of the day.

With all respect, this album isn't OCR. The whole thing of physical print runs is for people who simply love having a professionally produced CD. If they could each pay to have their own done at the highest possible quality from a company as they liked, this wouldn't be an issue.

That however, is not the case and I don't see that it should come out of anybodies pocket personally when all you are doing is providing them with the chance for said CD. Profit isn't being made but that doesn't mean you should make a loss just to play it safe in some way. Nothing wrong with donating to charity at the end of the day.

While I'm not disagreeing with your point, people are already skeptical enough about "donating to charity." With anything.

Even if you aren't making profit, I'm sure selling physical copies of a Castlevania album for money without a license is more than enough to possibly light the fuse on Konami's tampon.

I understand, but I know Chernabogue was looking originally to have the album posted by OCR.

I completely understand the sentiment and agree with it, but I was simply explaining the legal hassles from what I understand & that this site is of a high enough profile where it becomes a risk to do something like that (which is why we give away any CDs we print and the $ comes out of pocket - I've personally spent over $500 on various CD printings).

But this all is a digression from the rock solid album that is Vampire Variations! I like how several of the artists on the album showed progression other than BONKERS. Chernabogue has been improving a lot too from when I heard some stuff two years ago, and The Dual Dragons' presence on this album was different than I was expecting from them heh. Good surprises all around :) .

Yeah, there really isn't an argument on the subject in truth. I understand your point of view and won't say it's wrong because it isn't.

I just don't think people should be forced to make a loss on these things to play it safeis all. A little working out of the details and we can perfect the art of just paying cost price through donations.

Anyway, enough of that! I have to say that this album being my first real dive into VG remixing has been a pleasure to work on. I jumped in right at the end but it was all enjoyable and has been fun to do. Roll on the next one.