So... Dubstep?

Shadow Wolf

You know, I never really sat down and listened to much dubstep. I know people at my school who love it the same way a lot of you love yourselves a McRib, but I don't think it's really rubbed off on me. Then again, I listen to almost anything. In the way of this style of music, the main things I've listened to are (please don't kill/rape me for this) PrototypeRaptor's stuff from here.

I wasn't much of an electronica fan for ages, then I heard Eisenfunk, and suddenly my pop/punk/rock/rnb/everything else -loving brain exploded, and industrial became a style I listen to. I used to hate trance, then I started learning how to dance in my own spastic way, using bits of industrial, break and other modern hip-hop dances, and now I can't get enough. Dubstep, meh, I just haven't listened to much of it. I mean, the WUB-WUB-WUB gets a little much when you have a subwoofer less than thirty centimeters from your right foot, not to mention the habit of mine to turn stuff up when I love it (end result = parents about ready to attack me), means that the good dubstep I've heard is GOOD enough for me to still be interested in listening.

Wobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwobwob

At the start of the year, I wouldn't have listened to dubstep at all. Now, somehow, I'm finding myself listening to it way more than I probably should. Why? :-P

I didn't realize this kind of music was referred to as dubstep until now, but I have heard this music before all over the place. I personally tend to prefer it when it has more of a defined melody but it's not inherently bad. Honestly though, I really only hear about the genre from online hipster communities hating on it together.

EDIT:

I have no words

HAHAHAHAHAHA. That is amazingly hilarious.

Dubstep is the new Disco. Usually these types of things coming out of Britain don't get that much mainstream exposure internationally, like Drum n Bass and that short-lived 2-step fad in the early 00's. Dubstep on the other hand has eclipsed the world, to the point where even South Park felt compelled to parody it. It's being run into the ground and the bubble is bound to burst at some point.

Case in point: Justin Bieber is doing Dubstep. The only thing that surprised me here is that he beat Madonna to it.

• 2 weeks later...
This is dying. I'm reviving it cause there is a newcomer.

Savant

You can encourage him in bying his album on beatport.

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_9vYJkVaxQ

He's awesome by the way. Not just wub wub thing but a lot more.

BenjiBriggs showed me Savant a couple of weeks ago, and I have to admit, Savant is one hell of a talented producer...

Anyone who uses tweakbench's Toad VST is a champ.

Something inside me wants to hate dubstep but I'll be damned if I could tell you why. If I had to guess it would be because so many tracks I've heard take what would be an amazing chill/lounge electronic groove and destroy it. But even with that, I always seem to find some awesome dubstep track just about every other day.

Latest find:

I've heard lots of wubstep even before it grew to where it is today. I lean more towards the UK releases because that's where it started from and that's where most of the good stuff is. But there are a few gems here in North America that seem to stand alone as great classic dubstep.

My issue with dubstep is the fact that it always has to have a dark tone, a drop, or it has to be set in a minor key. I'll listen to any dubstep people throw at me as long as there's more to it than just "wub wub."

Aww, dang it, what am I saying? Just enjoy dubstep for what it is.

I've heard lots of wubstep even before it grew to where it is today. I lean more towards the UK releases because that's where it started from and that's where most of the good stuff is. But there are a few gems here in North America that seem to stand alone as great classic dubstep.

My issue with dubstep is the fact that it always has to have a dark tone, a drop, or it has to be set in a minor key. I'll listen to any dubstep people throw at me as long as there's more to it than just "wub wub."

Aww, dang it, what am I saying? Just enjoy dubstep for what it is.

K. I'm throwing you this ^^. http://soundcloud.com/rockos-1/rockos-through-the-castle-last

SUBLIMINAL ?

XD

I think its kinda funny a lot of the comments on youtube (as intelligent as they are) Are making claims that dub step is getting old and Such and such is the revival. Because dubstep is still young.. as in maybe a year at most.. Its not old just unexplored.

Actually, it's only a year old...here in the States in the minds of the collective consciousness. For the rest of the world, dubstep is about 10 years old now, if you count some of the early stuff that evolved from the UK Garage and Grime scenes.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm more of a fan of the type of dubstep that goes by absolutely no musical order or structure. The kind that's more 'rough,' just goes fucking crazy, if you know what I mean.

Kinda like this: http://soundcloud.com/theguitahheroe/epicenter

/shameless self-advertisement

This is why dubstep is awesome. Total chaos. You never know what's coming. And the sounds are so disturbing, in a good manner if u know what I mean ^^ :).

Awesome track. This is Dubstep that I like.

I'm more of a fan of the type of dubstep that goes by absolutely no musical order or structure. The kind that's more 'rough,' just goes fucking crazy, if you know what I mean.

Kinda like this: http://soundcloud.com/theguitahheroe/epicenter

/shameless self-advertisement

nice dude. this is a banger than any of my dubhead friends would surely approve of :D

also, on the subject of... dubstep. I'm just gonna leave this here