Is Gaming Green Enough?

Nonamer

It's been 2 months since I've left my consoles back home for college, and I am considering bringing them up by 2012. However, I've also become much more active in environmental activism, and I wonder if my main hobby has been a huge source of environmental degradation. I'm worried that as the consoles and the computers become more advanced and gaming becomes more popular, we will be consuming more energy to satisfy our demand for better graphics and expansive gameplay. Of course, with more downloadable content, cloud gaming, and disk-less games, that impact is reduced on the manufacturing end. If it turns out that gaming is a serious hazard, I may have to abandon console gaming (and probably computer gaming) for the sake of the environment.

Do you guys think that as time goes on gaming will become greener? Should the industry take steps to reduce its ecological footprint?

I sincerely hope this is in the right forum.

my stool is green and my stomach feels strange please help me

It's all those toxic videogames! Stop eating them.

But seriously Nintendo and Sony are consistently called out due to their shoddy environmental practices. Selling a paper card in thick anti-theft plastic packing (wii point cards, for example) is pretty environmentally-unfriendly.

I suppose you could stop gaming to send a message, or perhaps just indulge in your hobby and responsibly dispose of and recycle your own waste. Either way, you are handling it in a responsible manner. It's up to you.

Seems appropriate to link to this: Pie calculated to ten trillionth digit

The calculations required were so intense that Kondo's computer heated the air in its room to nearly 40 °C. "We could dry the laundry immediately, but we had to pay 30,000 yen [$400] a month for electricity," his wife Yukkio told The Japan Times.
Also:
The study' date=' noticed by Slashdot, found that American console players consume 16 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity per year, on par with the entire consumption of the city of San Diego, California.

So we can just demolish San Diego and it'll be like gaming is totally green. Like a carbon offset.

Let's make biodegradable video games! That way, they can sell it too you again and again like Square-Enix on a remake binge, because your previous copy rotted away. I figure a life span of about ten years, that way the consoles any such game was released on are defunct, and they can jack up the price because it's "retro."

Get a portable game system (GBA SP, DS, PSP, etc) and buy a solar panel charger. Charge everything from the sun. Fuck the electrical infrastructure of the man.

But then someone will complain about how you're exploiting the sun for energy, or that solar panels are toxic or some shit. Really, you're pretty much always going to be doing something to the environment, so fuck it: just go with it.