The worst gaming communities

AngelCityOutlaw

look i'll even give you that. all i'm saying is that this 'passive-agressive' attitude you speak of comes up when people try and play at their lower level and then act as if everyone else should as well.

SSBB is a perfect example of this. when the game was still in its early years, there was a huge group of people who came in who hadn't played either of the earlier two smash brothers games, and tried to make it so all official tournaments would have items in them. everyone who had been playing the games before knew that was a bad idea, and said so. most were even cordial enough to say 'do tournaments your own way and we'll keep doing what we know works.' despite this, both online and in person people would come to tournaments and complain about the lack of items and smash balls, and everyone else was like WTF.

i mean, wouldn't you get mad if a bunch of people showed up at a basketball court and was like 'NO WE WANT TO PLAY BASKETBALL WHERE U DON'T HAVE TO DRIBBLE TO MOVE' and acted as if they were in the right? i would.

I don't think that anyone in the fighting game community goes out of their way to slam on DBZ games or naruto fighting games or anything like that. they just hate it when dumb people come to tournaments and act like they should be good, and then whine and cry when they get stomped.

You're proving his point. By example.

You're proving his point. By example.

not really.

other communities like the moba community and sometimes shooter communities are bad because when people play them they are jerks and terrible people, and people troll and grief and do things to actively take enjoyment away from other people.

in the fighting community people are jerks because... they like good games and play those ones over bad games.

that's about all i've got.

This comment here is a shining example of fighting games tourney people aggressiveness.

I get why people who are skilled and invest a lot of time in a game find it annoying to be called 'cheap' by others. What I don't get is why people who are less skilled or want to play the game on a more casual level are considered sub-humans and aren't allowed to enjoy the game.

I also get why those less skilled people might want to create arbitrary rules to make the games more enjoyable and why they would find being called 'scrubs' annoying.

Good points.

A lot of people keep bringing up "moba" communities. I have to be honest, I don't think I've ever played those games....

Good points.

A lot of people keep bringing up "moba" communities. I have to be honest, I don't think I've ever played those games....

League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, Defense of the Ancients, DOTA 2, Demigod, etc.

They're fun games with friends, but playing them alone is like drilling your own teeth. They're team based PvP games, and one person on a team can ruin the entire game.

It you're doing well in a game, you'll always get one guy in your team that either doesn't know what he's doing or is playing just to troll the team. If you're doing bad (Hell, if you make just one mistake), you'll always have someone on your team screaming FUCKING NOOB COST US THE GAME YOU SUCK UNINSTALL RAGE.

It really doesn't help that a lot of the genre's mechanics are weird, outdated, or not explained in game at all, so you have to rely on the community to explain things.

...geez, why am I still playing League of Legends again?

Don't call it MOBA because that's a marketing buzzword that's been coined by a pedophile (not even joking). Not to mention that it's not even descriptive. Dotalike is a way better name for it.

I'll call it MOBA because the only one I play is LoL and it's developers call it a MOBA. :P

Riot started calling LoL a MOBA because they had Jeff “HunteR_” Hunter marketing their game for them at the time, who came up with the term (and currently runs the website Mobacast.com)

He later moved onto HoN where he got exposed for doing shady shit like embezzling prize money and solliciting naked pictures from underage girls by impersonating young boys.

http://www.dotallyrad.com/2010/05/10/jeff-hunter-shady-scandal/

Now if Riot wants to keep using that term that's their right. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't exactly try to run a political campaign using terms like Lebensraum and Final Solution either.

Anyway getting a bit offtopic here but yeah.

WHY IS NO ONE QUOTING THIS? This is the best example of other players in a game, and how much they can act like assholes.

My mom and sister started slapping the controllers out of each others hands within ten minutes of playing.

You have every right to be an asshole if you lost the lead because of The Crane Game.

Actually, me having four siblings, Mario Party is the most fun I have when we're all together. Yeah, we get pissed sometimes but jesus is Bumper Balls fun!

I mostly play fighting games online. The best communities would be around Virtua Fighter 5 and DOA4, back when people were playing them at least. I play alot of Tekken 6 now and the community mostly knows how to shut up and stay off the mics.

The worst by far are the sports games. Especially UFC's THQ made garbage and MMA. Nothing like winning a close game and getting harassed for the next half hour.

Though nothing compares to playing counterstrike around 2001-2004. I'm hoping that all those people that got that worked up lost at least a decade off of their heart.

You have every right to be an asshole if you lost the lead because of The Crane Game.

Actually, me having four siblings, Mario Party is the most fun I have when we're all together. Yeah, we get pissed sometimes but jesus is Bumper Balls fun!

My friends and I have collectively banned this game from our household when one of them got a hidden block star, made fun of the guy he stole first place from, and was promptly punched in the chest, almost breaking his rib.

League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, Defense of the Ancients, DOTA 2, Demigod, etc.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

In my whole life, I've never been hated as much as during the few days I've played DotA.

Oh and I've also played Guild Wars since its release and have never been scammed, and almost only played with very cooperative (and friendly) people. Probably the best online game community I've seen.

It's funny, when I played WoW in 2005-2006 I thought it had an amazing community. My guild had mostly adults (college students at worst, nobody younger I could remember.) Lots of family men, some women. Everyone was cool as hell. We had a great time on Ventrilo. Even though I haven't played for almost 5 years now, I can still remember what most of these people sounded like and have really fond memories of playing with them.

It's funny, when I played WoW in 2005-2006 I thought it had an amazing community. My guild had mostly adults (college students at worst, nobody younger I could remember.) Lots of family men, some women. Everyone was cool as hell. We had a great time on Ventrilo. Even though I haven't played for almost 5 years now, I can still remember what most of these people sounded like and have really fond memories of playing with them.

I agree entirely, and I only stopped playing less than a year ago myself. The various guilds I was in all had some great people, some with families (even multiple instances of husbands and wives playing together). Hell, even some of the public groups I joined for raids had some wicked people on vent. Despite the trolls that were on my server, I'd say the amount of friendly people whom I enjoyed playing with completely outweighed them in every regard. I suppose some servers are worse than others, and maybe I just got lucky and avoided the dark sector of my server, but I'd say WoW isn't so bad. Personally speaking, of course.

Now I feel bad for quitting and not getting to say goodbye to my old GM :<

*EDIT - I guess some of the random dungeon groups could be pretty bad, since they added the cross-server queues, but I rarely queued without some friends so I avoided a lot of that.

i think this is an important distinction to make, in a group of some sort like a guild or a specific server that you play on with your friends (OCR TF2 etc.) it completely changes the game. because people are no longer anonymous. they are brought back to way things work in the real world: if you are intolerable, people do not tolerate you. you are kicked out and everyone else has fun without you.

this is one of the hidden downsides of matchmaking: it requires that everyone be anonymous to each other. which means people can be huge jerks and get away with it.

side-note: i actually went back and played guild wars today for nostalgia and it's still a lot of fun.

Riot started calling LoL a MOBA because they had Jeff “HunteR_” Hunter marketing their game for them at the time, who came up with the term (and currently runs the website Mobacast.com)

He later moved onto HoN where he got exposed for doing shady shit like embezzling prize money and solliciting naked pictures from underage girls by impersonating young boys.

http://www.dotallyrad.com/2010/05/10/jeff-hunter-shady-scandal/

Now if Riot wants to keep using that term that's their right. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't exactly try to run a political campaign using terms like Lebensraum and Final Solution either.

Anyway getting a bit offtopic here but yeah.

holy shit I can't stop laughing