Album Project: Secret of Mana

Bahamut

Sure it will. You'll see.

--Eino

i'm 99% sure i won't like it, but i won't blame you for it.

it's just a really hard to arrange tune that oozes funk and playfulness. i don't have any bias against trance but i think it's a poor genre to represent those qualities.

that said, anything's possible i guess.

hope i will be pleasantly surprised, and good luck :)

Nase, I get what you mean. I can't guarantee our track will have those qualities, like an interpretation in a more appropriate genre for them would. I'm less concerned about that though, and I generally like when things are taken to a different direction. We'll probably have to strip down the track a lot. The qualities that I (at this point) think will be preserved would be those of relief, celebration.

Perhaps it won't work for the album's flow as the final track, if that's so I hope it can fit in some other way, and someone else can do another version (since there are three claims for Phantom and a Rose, I take that's a possibility). I don't think we'll be able to make a substantial WIP very soon though.

I'm quite excited about the mood/flow aspect of this album, each disc having a theme/mood etc. So I'd be happy to try to work the track(s) with that in mind.

--Eino

I think it's actually possible to retain a lot of the feel even with trance, but that's up to the artist. bLiNd did a surprising job with his Lufia 2 tracks with sources you wouldn't expect to work well getting converted to electronic.

I'll reserve judgment until the track is underway, but sometimes you can get some unique interpretations that add something strong in a way you don't expect with arrangements in different styles than you'd prefer. In fact, I'll go as far as argue that that should be any artist's goal who isn't trying to do a conservative take on a song when rearranging. A song that unleashes a new aspect of the original and brings it out in its own light can be just as rewarding, if not more, than the original.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed "I Closed My Eyes" and "A Conclusion" and thought I could work with them. Most of these remaining songs are too thick or active for me to understand.

I think Dancing Animals would make a good rocker. It'd be sad to see that go uncovered. Maybe down the line if nobody grabs it I could try, but for the moment that's too many to claim. D:

I got lots of tracks to finish before I can do this but definitely should be able to hit it before MAG and avoid your wrath!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping this up after so long. The grace period for artists working loosely with claims is done.

I want to change the project direction a bit - I want to encourage unusual mellow/vibrant arrangements, and so I will take all claims assuming a WIP can be shown indicating direction. Even tracks like Meridian Dance are fair game for changing the style drastically.

I will post more/update the first post later tonight with more details, so PM me if interested.

I also will start work soon with trying to build the site myself. I will probably need artwork assistance there.

I want things to move briskly - I want to see everything finished a year from now, ideally sooner. From here on out everything is going to move fast.

If I go with the template, I probably can do it myself - I should know enough to. I am going to try to build a page from scratch myself though as a personal project.

I would like to mention that there are several finished tracks & a bunch in progress. Of course I can't really say much in this thread about it while it's unofficial, but that's something to chew on :) .

Great to see an update! I am looking forward to this album. I like the idea of experimentation and unusual directions for the rearrangements. I might still shoot you a WIP at some point, but I find it's useless to make a claim unless I have a start I know I'll be able to finish. :) Pretty nice list of tracks already!

--Eino

Been seeing some new track claimants lately, and some promising WIPs. I'd like to welcome lampje4life & Josh Barron on board! Also welcome zykO back in the fold! I'd like to also mention that if I don't hear from some people soon, I will be lifting those claims up for others to jump on - those who have gotten back to me are safe (for now :) ). Some of these involve some quite desirable sources (I personally think most of them are desirable, but some of these that could free up are standouts).

So far, it appears Ergosonic & Guifrog are beasting it in terms of the # of claims - much appreciation to Guifrog for the exceptional enthusiasm towards work on the album, so much so that he contacted others to join up.

Also if you're on board already, I encourage you to comment on WIPs already there, even if you don't have any of your own to offer yet! Activity can only help motivate people to work on their work, and it keeps you in the loop as to what's going on! We still need a project title for example.

I've been motivated as well - I've completed the essential framework for the project site in 2 days, and it's my first serious website since 13-14 years. I'm excited to get things rolling. I want the album to be complete & to showcase some styles that has been getting lost recently with the high octane music pumped out lately on OCR (to which I'm a partial party to getting to happen). I think this album will be something special, although I do not believe it will reach the level of Threshold of a Dream, which I envy for its strong cohesiveness in its trek into creative visions through prophetik's excellent discipline in managing it.

Nonetheless, there's good sparks of things happening behind the scenes. Perhaps once this goes official & I get a little more material, I will put together a teaser.

It has been exciting to see that almost everyone has still been on board after the long silence. Now it's time to channel that into more progress!

The Oracle is now freed up, at least for now (unless the person contacts me again about still doing it). I'm still waiting to hear back from two other people - everyone else amazingly are still on board & dedicated!

This makes for 7 unclaimed sources currently, which surprises me as much as anyone.

Edit: Make that 8, Prophecy is now open as well.

Edited by Bahamut

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...