Guild Wars 2: 'and i thought i would go to bed after i got to level 30'

The Derrit

Hokay. SO. The Overclocked Remix guild has officially come into being. Members are as follows (and by that I mean anyone who has posted their ID in the thread plus everyone in the actual guild)

KING SHIT:

Syllix

Officers:

The Derrit

DusK

Unstable Hamster

Binjovi

Kengoku

Peons (for now):

Amphibious

Dj Dark

Zev

This game is tons of fun. Coming from someone like me who is generally a skeptic and originally thought I would be disappointed after the betas, this game came through in a big way and if you like anything to do with adventuring, online gaming or cooperative gaming you should really get this game and start playing it immediately.

Any important announcements will be posted here when they are neccessary.

Edited by The Derrit

You beat me to fixing the lack of a GW2 thread! :P. I can't think of another game that I've been so stoked for. Already decided I'm starting as a Sylvari Ranger.

Not many of my irl friends are into mmos so if you're looking for in game friends when it comes out, hit me up!

Sad story - I never got to beat the original because I was quite young and my mom was watching me at the most inopportune moment. The only curse word I've ever seen in the chat box for that game showed up as she was watching and she made me stop :(.

Probably the #1 game on my list right now, and that's saying a heck of a lot considering whats coming in November. I can't help but feel inspired and hyped when I hear about all the changes they are making to the classic mmo formula, it's exactly the type of stuff I'd do if I was in charge of making one. I just hope they come through with all the promises. If they can pull off even half of what was promised, me and my girlfriend shall be playing it for quite awhile.

I'm just not feeling any of the classes in the game. Anyone know if that's it, or do they have more reveals planned as far as that goes?

^There will be 8 professions, 7 of which have been revealed. Hopefully the last one catches your interest! It's anyone's guess as to what it'll be though. ArenaNet's lips are sealed...for the time being.^

I'm glad my favorite mmo franchise also happens to not have a subscription! I don't even want to think about a world where GW2 is subscription-based. /shudders

Edited by UnbridledApathy
Info mistake

The last profession is to be released later this year. It'll most likely be the Mesmer.

that was my hope too, my guild wars main character was a curses necromancer/illusion magic mesmer, i.e. hexes all over the place. while i'll likely make more than one character, i'd like to be able to do something similar again within the gw2 framework.

Thing is, it's pretty much guaranteed to be mesmer at this point. They've dropped so many hints and clues that basically point directly at it. Of course they could have changed their minds at some point. Still with the way GW2 is set up, there's a really good chance that the mesmer will be significantly different from it's original counterpart. And I think I'd rather have the mesmer than something new, honestly (not that I'd complain either way).

I am really stoked for this game. It's so hard to wait for it at this point. I know that they're going into closed beta pretty soon (if they're not there already), so release will hopefully be just around the corner.

I've been keeping up with this game for a while, and it is looking fantastic. It seems to be just what I need in an MMO. I'm pretty set on trying a Sylvari. As for professions, there are a few that interest me, so I'm a bit torn. Of course, I'll probably make multiple characters, so I guess I'll at least have an Elementalist, Thief, and Engineer.

Super stoked.

I've never played GW before, but I do hear good things about it. What's the draw?

First of all, there's no monthly subscription.

As for game play:

The biggest thing for me is how events and quests work. There is the system called pandemic(i may have the name of them wrong) events, where you can walk into a city and watch it get attacked. While watching this happen you will receive a quest to defend the city. Also, this is happening to everyone. You won't save the city just for someone else to save it afterward, it will stayed saved(or destroyed depending on if you succeeded) for other people. They want to get rid of "go kill ten cows" quests.

The second biggest is there is no holy trinity(Tank,Healer,DPS). Whatever class you choose to play, you'll be very effective and able to solo the game. That's another cool thing. You don't need to play in large groups or even with anyone at all if that's how you like playing.

In my opinion, game play is the sort of thing you need to feel for yourself. (IE: Lots of people love WoW, but when I tried it I didn't think it felt very smooth to me.) These are a few features that will rock.

A few pluses:

They have wonderful painterly textures if graphics are your thing. Also, Guild Wars, in my opinion, has the nicest and most helpful community. You find a lot of other games have mean, no nubs allowed, attitudes. Although we don't bash on players who aren't as good, i'm not saying GW players aren't very good. We are plenty skilled, just nice.

Here's a link to a GW trial: http://www.guildwars.com/freetrial/

I've never played GW before, but I do hear good things about it. What's the draw?

another big thing is it's more built around pvp style play, so instead of having a billion skills you have a set of 8 (i think 10 in gw2) skills, so when you're setting yourself up for a mission you have to think about your kit and its strengths/weaknesses.

in the original the level cap is 20 and you get there about 1/3 or 1/2 of the way through the game so it's not so much about grinding as it is effective application of skills