Guild Wars 2: 'and i thought i would go to bed after i got to level 30'

The Derrit

One of the awesome things about how they're handling guilds this time around is that you can be in multiple guilds. So we can have an OCR guild for us to all keep in touch with each other and people can still be a part of other guilds if they want. I want a guild for just me and my real life friends, but if there's an OCR guild count me in.

anyone deciding what kind of character they want to make yet?

Sylvari mesmer. Not certain on gender yet. Kind of depends on the options and what I'm feeling like at the time. If mesmer is miraculously not present, or I just don't like how it feels then ranger, guardian, or necromancer. Still, it's a tough choice. All the classes look like a blast so far.

I found this on Guild Wars 2 Guru. Might be fun to play around with.

Edited by Binjovi

Does anybody have a singular feature that they are really looking forward to?

I really want to see how underwater game play turns out. They're making it quite a bit deal.

the part where i get to play a game with my friends that doesn't involve direct competition, i.e. shooters, lol, etc. where rageface is prevalent

The biggest draw for me is the 'dynamic event' system. The idea that if you fail or succeed with a group in a given area, that the world takes notice and dynamically changes is just epic win for me. From a lot of the videos I've seen the system is pretty deep too, like certain events being completely locked off by other events.

You take the system far enough and a single map becomes this dynamic ever-changing thing. It feels more realistic and isn't just doing 'the same quests' over and over again. I hope they've taken it as far as they've said in the videos.

The biggest draw for me is the 'dynamic event' system. The idea that if you fail or succeed with a group in a given area, that the world takes notice and dynamically changes is just epic win for me. From a lot of the videos I've seen the system is pretty deep too, like certain events being completely locked off by other events.

You take the system far enough and a single map becomes this dynamic ever-changing thing. It feels more realistic and isn't just doing 'the same quests' over and over again. I hope they've taken it as far as they've said in the videos.

most mmo's have promised this but almost none of them deliver on it, and for good reason. let's think about this for a second.

let's say you have a user base of 2 million people, not that unusual. at the starting hub, there's probably 500,000 people if this is the first weekend the game is live. if this is the case, only one or two groups can do a quest at a time, because their result will change what can and can't be done for the groups behind them.

what does this mean? the game must have thousands and thousands of quests lined up, along with variations. unless it changes something that is truly unimportant (like whether the trees have leaves on them or not) it's pretty much impossible to implement.

most mmo's have promised this but almost none of them deliver on it, and for good reason. let's think about this for a second.

let's say you have a user base of 2 million people, not that unusual. at the starting hub, there's probably 500,000 people if this is the first weekend the game is live. if this is the case, only one or two groups can do a quest at a time, because their result will change what can and can't be done for the groups behind them.

what does this mean? the game must have thousands and thousands of quests lined up, along with variations. unless it changes something that is truly unimportant (like whether the trees have leaves on them or not) it's pretty much impossible to implement.

Yeah, there's only so much parameterization you can code into a game efficiently and effectively. Although this does make me curious if you could change a zone linear-algebra-style, as a kind of 'eigen-zone', wherein each zone has various parameters that can be tweaked independently (and speedily). It could be as much as the type of mobs you expect to find there. I'm kind of thinking about FF XII, where the plains early on would periodically be covered in rain, blocking off some quests, and allowing certain enemies to spawn. Something similar, but with more factors involved, could be used with little cost in an MMO, perhaps.

There's also the event scaling to take into consideration. It may not work to a certain point, but as more people try to participate, the event begins throwing out more to do. Events will happen multiple times, too. I like to think of these events as pushing a minecart up a hill. Basically, you can push the event all the way up the hill (and the town will be saved) but eventually it'll fall back down the hill (the raiders come back) and the event chain will start over. The only time that an event will stop "for good" is when each part of the chain has been failed and no one goes to push it back (the cart rests at the bottom of the hill). They've mentioned that the time that it takes for the events to start back up after the chain is completed successfully will be ramped up significantly at launch; they'll slowly decrease it as people filter out into higher level areas. That's not to say there won't still be people twiddling their thumbs, but seeing how the demos worked, I think It'll work out well enough. I mean, the alternative isn't any better anyway. Most of these quest-based MMOs have so many people in the starter areas that you simply cannot make any headway on your quests. The enemies don't spawn fast enough.

I know. I was basically trying to say that, yes there may be times when no events are on, but the alternative is actually worse—or at least not any better—since there's a competition factor. Another thing to keep in mind is the instanced story missions, PvP, and WvWvW, all able to be done almost immediately after character creation. I don't think you'll be left wanting for something to do even on launch week.

Can you guys imagine how awesome it's going to be starting out playing with tons and tons of fresh lv 1 people, there's just going to be tons of excitement and crazy things happening!

As for the name, which really hasn't been talked about much in this thread, may I suggest a simple, subtle, yet totally appropriate and awesome official guild name?

"OVERCLOCKED"

Some big mod dude (or dudette) should start a poll or something with the top favourite names introduced by the community of OCR. Then an official name can be voted on. I'd totally start a poll (not sure if we can do that on these forums), but I'm at work right now and dont have time to look into it haha :P

Anyway, Syllix signing out for now! :)

Can you guys imagine how awesome it's going to be starting out playing with tons and tons of fresh lv 1 people, there's just going to be tons of excitement and crazy things happening!

As for the name, which really hasn't been talked about much in this thread, may I suggest a simple, subtle, yet totally appropriate and awesome official guild name?

"OVERCLOCKED"

Some big mod dude (or dudette) should start a poll or something with the top favourite names introduced by the community of OCR. Then an official name can be voted on. I'd totally start a poll (not sure if we can do that on these forums), but I'm at work right now and dont have time to look into it haha :P

Anyway, Syllix signing out for now! :)

I really like your name suggestion. Simple, to the point, but still awesome.

Also, I can't wait for the lvl 1 fest! This will be my first mmo that I get on release, so I won't be behind. I can't wait :D