Guild Wars 2: 'and i thought i would go to bed after i got to level 30'

The Derrit

it actually went back on sale during the beta so i got it last night and played through about lv 10

it's a lot of fun. the issues ("issues") i have with it are that a) the instanced missions don't require you meet up with people like they did in the last game. i really liked that you had to set up essentially co-op pve, in this game it's kinda just single player. not the worst thing ever but could be better.

also there are like no skill customization options like there were in the original. that was one of my favorite parts, you could play crazy styles of characters as long as you had the right skills for it. now it looks like there's 40 skills per character, and then the 5 mandatory for weapon loadouts. that's kind of dull honestly.

the game feels great and i loved playing it though. it really does have a free flow kind of feel to it, instead of talking to people so you can go kill those 5 bears you just happen to be thrown into a nearby event, and when you kill 5 bears you get the reward. which is a lot smoother and really does create spontanteous co-op.

Edited by The Derrit

During the huge lag spikes I got kicked out of a story instance at the last fight. Had to do the whole damn thing over again. I hope they integrate the reconnection feature they designed for GW1 in this one.

I really like the choice you have in finishing quests, especially events. There was one where we had to collect ghost souls and had to use a special item to capture the ghosts once they were at 50% health. I worked with a friend who just damaged the ghosts with his more powerful weapon skills while I did all the collecting.

Strangely I ran into a quest where all I could do was attack some ogre supplies and a few other mundane tasks. It didn't offer a combat alternative so I spent five minutes whacking on "ogre pet houses."

I thought the feedback system was really nice and it probably increased data collection by several factors.

also there are like no skill customization options like there were in the original. that was one of my favorite parts, you could play crazy styles of characters as long as you had the right skills for it. now it looks like there's 40 skills per character, and then the 5 mandatory for weapon loadouts. that's kind of dull honestly.

Seeing as you only got to level 10, you didn't get to play around with the traits system, which is unlocked at level 11, and doesn't really get super interesting until you hit level 20. The game holds you back on a lot of customization so that at each level you're gaining some little thing more than just stat boosts (which, I'll admit, does get frustrating when you know what you want and just want to try it out). Then there's runes and sigils that provide a bit more. There are also many weapon choices for each profession, and most professions have the option of switching between two weapon sets mid-combat. More customization is always good, but I feel they've struck a pretty good balance here, and hopefully this will help get rid of a lot of issues the original had.

The main reason they ditched the flexibility of the original Guild Wars is because it was a balancing nightmare. Any class could have any skill and so many unforeseen overpowered builds and loopholes were found by players. As soon as they tried to fix something, it would bring up some other OP combination, or make other previously viable builds obsolete. There was also the problem with certain builds that were just plain better than others—and I'm sure we'll see that crop up again eventually—which of course led to some elitism. Hopefully by limiting the pool of skills they'll be able to fix things without screwing everything else up and be better able to balance the game.

The main reason they ditched the flexibility of the original Guild Wars is because it was a balancing nightmare. Any class could have any skill and so many unforeseen overpowered builds and loopholes were found by players. As soon as they tried to fix something, it would bring up some other OP combination, or make other previously viable builds obsolete. There was also the problem with certain builds that were just plain better than others—and I'm sure we'll see that crop up again eventually—which of course led to some elitism. Hopefully by limiting the pool of skills they'll be able to fix things without screwing everything else up and be better able to balance the game.

I liked this and didn't at the same time. I didn't think it was much of a problem except for PvP. Touch Ranger anyone?

I didn't think it was much of a problem except for PvP. Touch Ranger anyone?

OoB monk was worse than touch ranger, imo. Ridiculous sustain, in its time. I was always kind of fond of the Balth's Aura exploit, even though it was patched out just before I started playing.

The less said about IWAY the better.

OoB monk was worse than touch ranger, imo. Ridiculous sustain, in its time. I was always kind of fond of the Balth's Aura exploit, even though it was patched out just before I started playing.

The less said about IWAY the better.

Yeah, Touch Ranger wasn't too much of a big deal except I'd get AB's where there would be 8 of them running around on the opposite team and just blow up everyone they got close to.

• 2 weeks later...

"We’ll be conducting a stress test on Monday May 14 from 11 AM to 6:00 PM PDT (-7 GMT).

This special test event is open only to Pre-Purchase customers who have registered their accounts. With your help, we can conduct important tests and address some of the issues we identified during our first Beta Weekend Event. During this event, all you need to do is play normally with a new or existing character on your Beta account using the same game client. Please note that since this is a stress test of our servers, you may experience some in-game performance issues. If you’ve pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 and wish to participate in the stress test, we recommend that you register the account and download the game client."

For those who don't check Facebook often. Personally, I'm wet and waiting already.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey is anyone else playing the beta right now? I got it today and I was wondering if anyone else was online.

Edit: so checking the thread it seemed like most of you were picking yak's bend, but it's showing full for me. So I'm gonna have to go with vasburg for now.

Edited by Unstable Hamster

• 3 weeks later...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY LIFE WILL BE COMPLETE AUGUST 28TH!!!!

Btw, we never came up with an official guild name... we should have an official vote or something, along with a server too

I don't think I'll be moving from Yak's Bend on release, so I'd hope that the guild gets set up there. I don't see why we can't just use OverClocked ReMix as the guild name with OCR as the abbreviation.

Also, don't forget that prepurchasers get a three day head start, meaning we'll get to play on the 25th. ;-)

OverClocked ReMix as the guild name with OCR as the abbreviation.

I agree. Straight to the point, and everyone who knows about who we are will know who we are and what we're about in-game the moment they see our tag and guild name. It just works.

Yak's Bend sounds fine to me. Keep in mind that if anyone chooses another world for whatever reason, they can still be in the OCR guild thanks to GW2's guild system. So that's cool. :)

I agree. Straight to the point, and everyone who knows about who we are will know who we are and what we're about in-game the moment they see our tag and guild name. It just works.

Yak's Bend sounds fine to me. Keep in mind that if anyone chooses another world for whatever reason, they can still be in the OCR guild thanks to GW2's guild system. So that's cool. :)

Guilds can be cross-server?

That is very intriguing. I guess there is that guest system in place. I've never really looked much up beyond basic class stuff really. I should read up on more stuff before release :<