Guild Wars 2: 'and i thought i would go to bed after i got to level 30'

The Derrit

While I wait on my computer, I decided to play some more Guild Wars 1, and managed to get my Hall of Monument points up from 19 to 30, which is where I'm stopping since I've done all I can without farming massive amounts of gold or putting all kinds of time into more-or-less useless titles. At least I get all the possible rewards.

I've only got 7 HoM points. If someone wanted to help me get a few more, that would be really cool of you. (You might even get a shiny new bag out of it too! =P)

Because some of us were talking about replacing the music with our own playlists, here is the wiki article explaining how to go about doing it, and what file types the game will recognize. Have fun!

Edited by Binjovi

I might do that. What points are you going after, specifically? Some are much easier than others.

Well, considering I've actually never finished any of the stories, any of those titles would be nice. I mostly play the game solo (and pretty casually) so I keep running into missions where heroes and henchmen just can't cut it. In Prophecies, there's that mission where you have to cap various points before the White Mantle do, and Cyndr the Mountain Heart near the end of the EotN storyline seems nearly impossible with only me trying to carry the explosives and him nuking my heroes in a Pyroclastic Shot or two.

I managed everything except Cyndr the Mountain Heart with heroes and henchmen, and I bet that's even doable with hereos if you know what you're doing and are really good at flagging them. Also, it's nice that you can use all heroes now, and no henchmen; makes things much easier.

Completing the campaigns alone won't give you HOM points though, unless they'll push you into the next bracket for points in the titles category. What's the name of one of your GW1 toons? I'll look up your HOM and suggest which points might be easiest.

Well, considering I've actually never finished any of the stories, any of those titles would be nice. I mostly play the game solo (and pretty casually) so I keep running into missions where heroes and henchmen just can't cut it. In Prophecies, there's that mission where you have to cap various points before the White Mantle do, and Cyndr the Mountain Heart near the end of the EotN storyline seems nearly impossible with only me trying to carry the explosives and him nuking my heroes in a Pyroclastic Shot or two.

I don't have much time to play these days, but I played quite a lot of GW1 so I'd be glad to help once in a while ;)

Finishing the campaigns with heroes isn't a problem, when you have the right builds. I've used only heroes even when I did most of hard mode campaign xD

My GW1 character is Devils Envoy, feel free to add me ^_^

DusK, Binjovi, Thundar, Syllix and I got together and did the story and an exploration run of the level 40 Caudecus's Manor. As far as we knew it was the first all OCR team for a Dungeon. We had a blast but I gotta say I have a new found hatred for Bandit Hooligans who are much deadlier than they sound.

Also we decided to make all of our clothing entirely all purple. Purple Power!

Edited by Unstable Hamster

Yeah, I have to say, as frustrating as it was going through the explorable, I actually had a blast completing it. The only parts that really sucked were the huge groups of enemies that we had to wade through. Most of the other fights seemed to have some little trick or quirk to them that made them a lot easier when done "right." Overall, pretty enjoyable. Now I want to see what the other two paths are.

i wish some of you were on anvil rock, as it seems that none of my friends are ever on for dungeons. i am level 50 and still haven't had a chance to do one yet =(

Hopefully we'll be getting some of that 'Guest Transfer' stuff sooner rather than later - so we can all meetup whenever we want. Really want to play with people from here.

I dunno how many know about this yet, but I figure this could be of special interest here.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Customized_soundtrack

The fact that they hooked this into the game engine is soooo awesome. While the soundtrack is most certainly excellent, I'm guessing it'll get repetitive after many hours of play, and this gives the option to replace only parts that would be expected to be repetitive, like exploration themes. Definitely gonna try this out!

I got this game on monday and leveled my warrior up to level 14 (though I'm in a level 18 area atm), and I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed. It's a solid, streamlined MMO for sure, but nowhere near the MMO revolution I've been hearing about during the hype. The randomly generated group quests/hub quests are a nice addition, but in effect they only really streamline the experience by removing questgivers. The quests themselves are still "gather x amount of eggs" type of drivel.

Coming from Tera the graphics are definitely a step down and I'm really REALLY missing the visceral skill-based combat from that game compared to the cooldown-cycling of this game. I'm hoping that the game picks up when I get up to some of the big multiplayer instances but ehhh, I'm pretty lukewarm about this game at the moment.

Most parts of the early zones are fairly simple in design, and are there to help you get used to the game's systems. Most events there are, at most, a couple chains long, and not terribly complex.

However, as I've headed deeper into the 15-30 zones, I've started to see more complexity. Most notably, enemies there actively ramp up in difficulty; it's not just stats, it's the tactics and skills they use, as well. You have to watch more carefully and coordinate more with others.

Another note: the chief goal of renown quests isn't just to streamline the questing process; it also serves as an incentive to explore an area, instead of simply bouncing back and forth between quest-giving zones and enemy-slaying zones. Everything is more cohesive, and it allows for activities that would previously have been considered unrewarding - such as holding NPC conversations - to be an option for those who are interested in that area of depth. You can actually explore without being held back by lack of reward for doing so!

There's also PvP, which you might find more interesting. A good part of the way the system was designed allows for a system that's balanced and yet gives a lot of customization to the player's personal combat style, which is a difficult balance to strike, especially since there's no separation between PvE and PvP skills.

In the end, though, TERA may just be a better fit if you prefer its type of combat system. GW2 has combat at the core, but it also depends on a significant amount of exploration and discovery. I can't say what TERA's forte is, given minimal prior exposure to it, so I can't compare the two directly.

Perhaps a perspective shift could help, too. Try jumping into a new character in a completely new area. Explore for secrets. Talk to NPCs (or, at least, interesting-looking ones). Dabble in crafting - they've streamlined that, too, and made it highly rewarding and fun to play with, especially in Cooking. Try visiting Lion's Arch. It may not be a combat zone, but they've hidden lots of stuff in nooks and crannies, not to mention some pretty good-looking scenery. Who knows? You might have an 'aha!' moment in there somewhere.

Kenogu kinda touched on the combat, but when you also factor in that many skills are situational and meant to be used in certain circumstances, that adds a lot of depth to the combat system. The build I primarily play, for example; A greatsword Guardian.

The first skill is a typical 3-hit auto attack that hits multiple enemies and applies might to me for every enemy the third strike lands on. This is a kind of cornerstone for the greatsword playstyle, as it's built around taking on multiple enemies at one time.

My second skill is a Symbol of Wrath that puts a circle on the ground at my location, simultaneously burning foes and healing myself and. This works great if enemies are clumped around me. I can also use this as a placed AoE heal to support allies near me as we take on the same enemies, or dodge back and place it down near a group of allies that are being attacked by ranged foes, though there are better utility skills for alleviating ranged damage against allies.

Whirling Wrath is also great when I'm surrounded by enemies, doing a massive amount of damage to every enemy around me and often hitting far-away enemies with projectiles. This skill alone, when activated while having a stack of 3-5 might after the third strike from skill 1, can kill several enemies in one go.

Leap of Faith works as a fantastic distance-closer that, on hit, blinds every enemy around me. I'll often use that move to jump into groups of mobs and start fighting them, jump back at a ranged mob after I shake off his snare to get back in his face, or get back into melee range of an enemy after dodging his power attack.

My Binding Blade is a fantastic skill that I tend to use in conjunction with Symbol of Wrath and whirling blade. It tosses blades at up to five nearby enemies with some fairly decent range, and with another press of 5, I pull all of them into melee range around me. Bust that out, slap down a Symbol of Wrath, and hit em with Whirling Wrath, and there's a good chance I have a few corpses around me when I'm done. This skill also works great when I'm snared and a ranged enemy's blasting at me, but I don't have a skill up that allows me to shake off that snare.

And it's basically like this for every class in different ways, and it becomes more and more apparent the further along you go. And All I did was explain my weapon skills; utility skills and traits open up many more venues for the combat system that you really can't grasp to its full potential until level level 20, and the elite skill is a great tide-turner, a sort of Smash orb ability that can help you snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Like Ken said, the enemies, their tactics, and combat as a whole become increasingly more difficult and complex, and situational use of skills becomes more and more necessary.

I've never touched Tera (I'll never play a subscription-based MMO again, solely on principle), but from what I've heard, it still has mobs that go "These other two guys are really hurting me, but this guy in plate armor keeps making fun of me, so I'm going to keep attacking him instead while that guy in the robe fixes all the damage I do to him."

A break from the questclamation marks and the tired old tank/dps/heal system is exactly what I was looking for, and GW2 has delivered in spades.