OCR02317 - Gitaroo Man "FML (If I Could Drift Away)"

djpretzel

I've been eagerly waiting to hear this mix ever since I saw it in the To Be Posted queue. The original (both versions), with its truly "legendary" melody, is one of my favorite game songs of all time. Like you said, it's a mixture of happy and sad (wistful, I'd say), and you did a good job of capturing that feel while adding a lot of your own creativity to it. The whistling was a nice nod to the original, and fits in perfectly with the feel of the song.

Despite the title, I couldn't help but smile while listening to this. Nice job, Jordan. :)

This has to take the cake for Best Mix of 2011, man. It perfectly nails a downright-beautiful combination of melancholy and nostalgia, an emotion that few songs ever truly touch on. I can see myself coming back to this mix a million times over simply because it's a perfect piece for coping with the kind of situation that led you to make the song in the first place. We've all got crappy days or months or years, but music like this is a huge help. The acoustic section about 4 minutes in particularly tugs at the heartstrings :-)

Thanks for making and submitting this Jordan, it's a very cathartic piece for me as a listener, and a downright brilliant piece of music on its own!

Holy Shit Mr Jordanius. Sorry... 'Sir'. This is incredible. The source is perfect, and wow... just one of the craziest, most unique tracks on OCR. Makes me feel happy and sad at the same time.

Dude, you know I love your shit. It's always been awesome. But now thanks to this track, I think I love you.

Thank you for this mix. Just thanks. Epic.

• 1 month later...

I didn't comment on this mix already? This is a sweet mix by Sir J, and he has been impressing as of late with this and his MM9 album mix. And Gitaroo Man at that!

That break at around 4:30 is done very well - it really catches me and endears me to the song more. If there's anything I have to say could be tweaked, it would have to be the slightly overcompressed sound the mix has. The song could use some more clarity to bring out each instrument better. Great job with a great source!

• 4 weeks later...

This Mix is so saddening. I feel connected with the bareness of the opening.

It only helps that the piano that comes in makes the sadness even harder to bear.

at 1:25 the whistling with insane reverb makes me feel a little bit happier.

Like I'm gazing at the sunset or something stereotypical like that.

At 2:17 it just improves, expanding. This continues through the piece.

The dynamic increases and it has an almost reminiscent feeling that courses through me.

The worst part about this mix, is that it had to end.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When I first started listening to this track it reminded me of Blue Orb (and other tracks) from the Katamri Damacy games. Once the whistling came in it took me a bit to place the song, but I immediately let out a cry of delight when I realized it was from Gitaroo Man. It's one of my favorite rhythm games (even though it's short-ish) and it's about time we had some mixes from it on OCR.

I agree with djp about the production. It all seems part of the experience and aesthetic of the song. Very indie and heartfelt. This definitely goes on my short list of OCR favorites.

• 2 months later...

oh this is wonderful.

im getting this distinct andrew bird feel once it gets loud. the whistling and the strings and the melody...ever listened to mysterious production of eggs, jordanius?

couple NOs for PRODUCTION VALUE??? jdgfgts these days...

this is completely yummy tasteful muddyness if i ever heard some. way cool.

couple NOs for PRODUCTION VALUE??? jdgfgts these days...

this is completely yummy tasteful muddyness if i ever heard some. way cool.

Just to clarify, all of the NO votes were meant for the original version of this submission. After the song was passed by the panel, Sir Jordanius resubmitted an entirely different version of the arrangement that didn't really sound like the first one at all. That's the version that actually got posted on the site, and that one was passed with 4 unconditional YES's ;-)

Just to clarify, all of the NO votes were meant for the original version of this submission. After the song was passed by the panel, Sir Jordanius resubmitted an entirely different version of the arrangement that didn't really sound like the first one at all. That's the version that actually got posted on the site, and that one was passed with 4 unconditional YES's ;-)

oops...i flew over the first page of votes and thought that was it. my bad.

good jawb then i guess :o)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02317 - Gitaroo Man "FML (If I Could Drift Away)"