Deus Ex: UNATCO Theme Remix

Witiko

Hello there :smile:

I'm trying my hand at music production, since I'm quite new to this all, and I've decided to go ahead and remix one of my favourite game themes - the UNATCO Theme from Deus Ex - in FL Studio. It's probably a bit of a short one by your standards - only 2 minutes - so there's no excuse. :grin:

I'd be most grateful if you could drop some feedback as for what you did / didn't like, so that I knew what to improve on.

Original:

Remix: http://soundcloud.com/witiko/unatco-theme-remix

Dat bass. I love it.

Alright, the production values are pretty sweet, and the instruments are neat (especially with the effects you use).

To be honest, my only complain is that the arrangement doesn't really go anywhere. I know firsthand that this source doesn't lend itself to really moving much, but you can still figure out ways to give the remix some more direction, if you put your mind to it (listen to what some people did with it in this compo, for example).

It may only be a single complaint that I have, but it's a pretty significant one. Again, though, I understand that the source is tricky to work with, in that regard. Maybe just working with a different source altogether might be a good idea, here.

Still, nice work overall.

Dat bass. I love it.

Which one in particular? There are multiple basslines going on in the song, so that I knew what exactly I've done right. :smile:

Alright, the production values are pretty sweet, and the instruments are neat (especially with the effects you use).

Glad to hear that, even moreso given the fact that this is one of my first creations not only in FL Studio, but overall. :)!! Also happy that the instruments sound right, as I consider the choice and the shaping of these my biggest weakness.

To be honest, my only complain is that the arrangement doesn't really go anywhere. I know firsthand that this source doesn't lend itself to really moving much, but you can still figure out ways to give the remix some more direction, if you put your mind to it (listen to what some people did with it in this compo, for example).

It may only be a single complaint that I have, but it's a pretty significant one. Again, though, I understand that the source is tricky to work with, in that regard. Maybe just working with a different source altogether might be a good idea, here.

I know, right? I brought the song to its climax in 1:24 and I was like Well, now what? :whatevaa: I guess that some additional planning beforehand as for where I want to go with the song might actually be beneficial. :smile: Concerning the samples you posted a link to - I can see what you did there, a shame I didn't find these before creating the remix.

Still, nice work overall.
Right, thanks for both the cheer-up and the constructive criticism! :smile: