Twisted Metal Collab

AngelCityOutlaw

Okay I've sent you all a PM containing the link.

As you can tell, it's a rock/metal type thing like the original, but I'm hoping we can bring in some other styles. Like Funk or something, that's why I asked Gar if he can play slap style bass.

For some reason, when I jammed over top of the MIDI, the longer bass notes had an extra eigth note worth of length on it....I didn't really realize that till after I recorded so I went back and cut out the extra length on those notes. Made it a bit better, but I'm sure my timing on this take still counts as a hate crime or something.

My mixing is also absolute crap, but as already stated, I can't mix at all. That's why Mak is gonna handle the mix lol.

What's important right now is that we can build off this with more ideas. What should we do with the bass? Drums? Guitars? What comes next in the song? Etc.

I was thinking some wah and/or whammy lead in the beginning could be cool? Maybe with some echo and make it sound like the guitar is screaming or something? Or make the guitar sound like a siren....

Anyways, what should we do from here? What should we change etc?

Here are some groove elements i played around with on the first section of the theme. If anything sounds Twisted Metally to anyone i'll develop it further. I didn't bother working on mixing any of these clips so it sounds pretty muddy but if anyone wants to take one of these grooves further then please do.

I know my ric sounds awful. I'm using a DI box straight into my daw and the signal is really weak so I have to amp the schmidt out of it with Sonar's plugins. I have Guitar Rig 4, which has some bass amp sims, but I can't record with it until i get a newer version of Sonar.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6o0767g72p82j7x

We're past the audition period right? :-)

Here are some groove elements i played around with on the first section of the theme. If anything sounds Twisted Metally to anyone i'll develop it further. I didn't bother working on mixing any of these clips so it sounds pretty muddy but if anyone wants to take one of these grooves further then please do.

I know my ric sounds awful. I'm using a DI box straight into my daw and the signal is really weak so I have to amp the schmidt out of it with Sonar's plugins. I have Guitar Rig 4, which has some bass amp sims, but I can't record with it until i get a newer version of Sonar.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6o0767g72p82j7x

We're past the audition period right? :-)

Well, grooves 1&2, the bass doesn't harmonize with the guitar very well. You may be on to something with groove 3 however.

Working right now. I'll try to give you guys my vision somewhere around sunday/monday..

Awesome.

I just send demo to AngelCity..

Also Gar, I can try emulate amp for you. I have Guitar Rig, Amplitube and some other interesting stuff.

So here's another one question! You, guitar guys, will give me dry signal or should I work with your tones?

EDIT: Forgot to say! I have some effects for arrangement. Police sirens, traffic noises etc.

Well, looks like the outline is done :)

I like the demo but I would like to do less generic metal (1&2&3&4&) phrasing you know? However the section starting around 2:25 i'd like to keep in.

I'll play around with what's here and see if I can get an idea across. Are those empty sections in the demo open for soloing? Seeing as how the original tune had a few solos I think we should stick a few in there.

Thanks mak for getting the ball rolling ^^

If we're gonna throw some funk into her, perhaps we could take a more Nuno Bettencourt (guitarist of extreme) style approach to the rhythm guitars? Make it a bit more technical and melodic? This is what kinda guitar stuff I'm referring to by that.

So some more ideas anyway. Can't wait to hear what Metal Man has in store!

I'll try to make some sense to that wip.

0:03-0:30/0:50-1:03 source's main riff variated(your creativity guitar dudes)

0:30-0:50/1:23-1:42 source almost covered(again some place for guitars)

1:42 etc. - I guess you heard it before;P (some leads to compliment will be great)

1:55-2:08 place for something with guitar, i think

2:08-2:22 slap bass s0lo stuff(like

at 1:00 or so)

2:22-2:55 guitarists confrontation

also i'm thinking to expand it a bit. Dunno where and how, cause effects going to need some place too and of course you ideas..

So my question is: do we have a "BODY" of mix now?

Gar, 1-2-1-2-3-1/2-etc is da mix's structure right now;P

Four and only four. No bash to prince but 6's seems kinda gimmicky to me and to non bassists make it look like the bass just wants to become a guitar. Alot of people look at four strings and think "that's easy to play! It only has four strings!" I've dealt with stringcism my whole life across different genres and it's time for a little BASS POWER!

Four and only four. No bash to prince but 6's seems kinda gimmicky to me and to non bassists make it look like the bass just wants to become a guitar. Alot of people look at four strings and think "that's easy to play! It only has four strings!" I've dealt with stringcism my whole life across different genres and it's time for a little BASS POWER!

I play 4string bass, that is why I wanna try 6string. Just interesting))

But I do agree with your thoughts, 4 strings covers any genre diapason)

That's like, I've never understood the fascination with 7 string guitars in the last 10 years or so. Why do you need that low B?

• 3 weeks later...