OCR02318 - Super Metroid "Ashes to Ashes"

djpretzel

Dubstep: the musical Marmite; you either love it or hate it. Personally I like everything in moderation, and zircon's forays into dubstep don't just end with "lol the bass has wobble so the track's finished", but are typically well-rounded and varied affairs (see also: Buzzsaw). As mentioned in the write-up, the synths alone are hugely varied to give the track a really fresh sound throughout, in addition to high melodic content as well as the signature bass and drum processing indicative of the genre.

I urge anyone put off by the "dubstep" tag to give it a listen - it's a natural progression from other forms of electronica, and when used in this way, as zircon does, it restores a sense of respectability that I think is perhaps lacking at the moment, given the volume of lazy dubstep remixes out there.

Dubstep certainly is tricky. When I first started hearing it, most of the songs sounded pretty much the same. But more recently I've heard actual variations within the style. This song makes very good use of the dubstep style, while being totally catchy and enjoyable. As DarkSim said, if you're reluctant to hear yet another dubstep, you should still give this a listen.

PS: This is the first comment I've ever posted on a song. That's how much I enjoyed this song.

This is how you dubstep :-D One of the most tasteful excursions into the genre that I've ever heard, period, and probably the best dubstep song on OCR. Like all of zircon's music, what makes it so enjoyable is not simply the genre adaptation and the great production, but how it goes so far off-the-rails and doesn't fall in line with the kinds of tropes that you'd expect from whatever genre he's tackling.

Also, as is the case with all of his other mixes, this one gets better and better as it goes along, Andy doesn't use all of his tricks right off the bat, which I immensely appreciate. A lot of electronic music is structured in a way that you can fast forward through the first minute of the song and cut it short after the first chorus and you don't feel like you've missed anything of worth. That's not the case here.

Creative, detailed, and expertly-crafted. That's what I like to hear :-D

I like it. I like it a lot. ...but I feel that what I like about dubstep this track doesn't really exemplify. All of the wub wubs and badass dirty synths are spot on, but I feel what makes kickass dubstep is progressive melodic parts followed by a simple, heavily-textured, captivating, and very loud, breakdown. This is spread so thick though that I feel like dubstep isn't the best genre title for it anymore.

Which isn't knocking the track at all, it's quite dark and very delicious... just... why can't we call it: 'dark electronica with dubstep-like warbling bass' or 'dark wub wub electro' instead of just 'dubstep'? This really doesn't sound like any other 'dubstep' out there... probably to the delight of many. :roll:

Several months ago I was watching Zircon's video demo/tutorial on making dubstep synth patches with Zebra, and I really wanted to hear them piled on with effects, in a completed track. Well, guess I got what I wanted :-D This is a well put-together mix, and it's very dark yet chill at the same time. My only gripe is that I wanted it to go on for 1 or 2 more minutes. But this uses the popular dubstep trend of throwing in a lot of different textures and they flow together nicely.

GROSSBEAT PRESET!! Heard it from the first time I listened... it might even be one of the reasons I like this track so much. Or maybe it's that I have huge respect for zircon. Either way, this is awesome. This and "The Clubbing of Isaac" by BGC inspired me to try out some dubstep elements myself, even though historically I've been VERY against the genre. Kudos to the both of you for expanding my musical repertoire, and for being so damn awesome

pH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just like Andy, I completely missed the meteoric rise of dubstep until I got out of my 5 month trek through boot camp.

I've been rarely disappointed by Andy's music, and this mix is no exception. It doesn't use the wubs as a crux for the whole song, and does some more intricate things here. My only real letdown here is how the song ends - it's lame!

• 4 months later...

I haven't posted my own review of this yet? I could have sworn I have. Oh well. Here goes:

---------------------------------------------------------

This remix leads us in with a nice wah-wah bass and some slow drums with the perfect touch of reverb. There's no sudden volume jump, which is nice. Then the melody comes in, which gives an eerie feel. Then of course the wub-wub comes in, and I expected some variation soon; heh, I didn't know what hit me. I loved that there's always a sense of progression in this. There's nothing we can skip. :o

Then at 1:00 a bass from... Massive? I think I may have used this one before! It could be the Dynamite Breaks preset with some modifications to make it short and to remove the automated panning. That's a kewl preset. Oh, and I think I sense some dBlueGlitch and GrossBeat in here. :D I'm also seeing some ArtsAcoustic Reverb! :}

2:39 - This is such an insane section. I could listen to this for weeks and still not discern all the esoteric complexities that interweave within this monstrous masterpiece. xD

2:50... That bass that feels like it's closing in on you... What is that? That is awesome, and it really stands out at the right moment.

And of course, it ends with no tail. :P This is a remix to remember for ages to come.

- Timaeus

• 7 months later...

Interesting to hear a dubstep ReMix where the dubstep isn't overpowering the entire song. It seems to be an addition to the aggressive electronica and piano sections rather than taking over the entire ReMix. That being said, terrific work on this one, Zircon. The last minute really dropped the hammer on this dark track and like I said before, switching between piano and electronica was cool.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02318 - Super Metroid "Ashes to Ashes"