Game Sack

Joe Redifer

I'm back to shamelessly promote my crappy Youtube show! Actually, I try to make it as un-crappy as I can. It's been a while since I have been on these forums. What happened to the UnModerated section? Ah well, probably good that it is gone. And hello to everyone who actually remembers me.

Anyway, my Youtube show is called Game Sack. A friend and I talk about old-school vidya games. Sound boring? IT IS! Oh, wait, we do have some fun with it and people do seem to like it. Some good things about the show is that our intro is short and we don't beg for likes, subscriptions, comments, favorites, etc. We figure you'll do that anyway if you like the show.

Here is the link to the channel:

Game Sack

And here are a few random episodes of Game Sack that, for whatever demented reason, might appeal to the OCR community (though the place has changed so maybe I am guessing wrong):

And our most recent episode:

We've got 28 episodes so far and usually release one a week. We haven't covered game music directly yet but that is something we really want to do. Also, I have needed to do some music myself for a few episodes. We'd love to hear feedback and if you have an idea for something we should cover, let us know and maybe we'll do it.

Sorry to bust back in here and spam like this. But I have had OC Remix bookmarked since 1978 and never removed it. It is still 5th and 6th on my bookmarks list (main site and forums). Bookmarked 'em originally using Netscape 3 or 4 or something like that. Damn, I'm old.

Yeah, I asked one of you guys on youtube about non-HD LCD screens the other day (I have no idea which one of you runs the channel).

I was kinda bullheaded and got one anyway.

I probably won't ever play any light-gun games (not my cup of tea, sorry), so light-gun compatibility doesn't concern me.

The two criteria I was mostly looking for was minimal lag, and smallest footprint; the reason for wanting minimal lag is obvious, but for the footprint I'm pretty strapped for space and don't have a good place to put even a small CRT. I'm probably pretty lucky with the one that I managed to pick up (it was a Sharp Aquos LC13S1US, specifically): there isn't any easily discernible lag on it, and I couldn't ask for a better footprint; while non-HD streams may never look as sharp on an LCD as a CRT, for 60 bucks, I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with it.

I was kinda bullheaded and got one anyway.

CRT's aren't for everyone and you don't need one to truly enjoy games, but I have seen a lot of questions around the internet wondering why the older games look so different on their shiny, new HDTV set. At the end of the episode, Dave did end up buying the HD TV he was pawning over. Your criteria for an HD set are good ones even for current games. And it is I who runs the channel and edits each episode.

Nice videos, I've seen your posts over on the pcenginefx forums. The HD/CRT video is really informative. I've stuck with a CRT monitor all of these years and really love how it displays games (especially when using s-video from my Wondermega, which is absolutely beautiful), but I'm thinking about moving back to the States this spring and was wondering what to do about the TV situation. I'll definitely get a CRT off of Craigslist for gaming, but are there any displays that are particularly good for retro gaming? I was thinking about tracking down an RGB monitor or maybe an old broadcast studio monitor but I wonder if it would be worth it.

Thanks all, for the comments.

Evilhead, you are a lucky bastard to have a Wondermega! I bet that s-video looks awesome. Modding a Genesis for s-video gives mixed results and it never looks as nice as say, s-video from the SNES (meaning that there is moire, noise, etc). I haven't seen the Wondermega's s-video but I imagine they got it right. Too bad they removed that from the X-Eye.

As for TVs in the US, I've found that CRTs made by Toshiba that are 30 inches and under which feature component video inputs have very good tubes. I tested a lot of different ones before I bought mine, taking my Genesis, RGB SCART cable and component converter to stores with me. Samsungs were really bad. Sony's OK but kind of flat in the reds. The Toshiba has really strong colors (all of them) and the best clarity. Not sure if you want to go the component route. We don't like having nice things here in the US. No s-video Wondermegas, not RGB TVs, what the hell? I need to "occupy" something over this outrage. Do studio monitors have RGB SCART inputs (Euro SCART, not JP SCART)?

Yeah, I was really lucky to get the Wondermega (original Sega model) for around... $70! No box but works great. The S-video looks incredible. I can't imagine it looking any clearer. No noise, moire, whatsoever. This is a really solid piece of hardware. With the extra hardware enabled audio effects, playing games on the Wondermega is like playing them for the first time. I notice new graphical aspects and sounds all the time. They are expensive but highly recommended for a Genesis/Megadrive fan such as yourself! Plus they look so sexy. I mean look at this thing:

wondermega1.jpg

As for the TVs, until I moved here I had a Toshiba CRT much like the one you have in your video. Might even be the same model as it also had component inputs which I used for my PS2. I agree that of all the models I looked at the Toshiba was the best. My friend and I ended up buying the same TV. I might end up getting the same one again when I get back because the picture was quite sharp! The studio monitors I looked at online have all kinds of insane inputs (possibly including SCART) and the screen resolution is higher but I'm not sure how that translates for gaming. Might not end up looking as good as a regular TV and be a pain the the ass to hook up.

That is just too awesome. I really should get a Wondermega just for recording games for Game Sack. I have tried everything to make Genesis games look good when recording them for the show. Straight composite looks horrible. Add a 32X and the composite looks much better, but it still is pretty muddy. I tried a SCART RGB-to-HDMI convertor but it had weird interlacing artifacts that I couldn't eliminate (used this for 32X Backthorne in the

video). I have an XMD-3 but the output was pretty noisy and very moire-y. Getting some components on that replaced so hopefully soon that will work better. I also had one of my pre-TMSS Genesis model 1's modified for s-video but there is still some noise and just as much moire as in composite, though it is still clearer than composite. Recording the Genesis has been the biggest headache making this show.