djpretzel

This was recently overheard in #ocrstaff:

[11:33] <Level99mobile> Mix of the year

[11:33] <Level99mobile> No contest

[11:33] <Bahamut> beats out Ska Buffet?

[11:34] <Level99mobile> Fuck NiGHTS, fuck ska buffet, fuck it all

[11:34] <Level99mobile> DEFLEKTOR

[11:34] <oceansandrew> the man said NO CONTEST

This mix is indeed very kickass! Well done!

Is it just me or are vocal-driven ReMixes getting better and better? First Ska Buffet, then some of Akumajo's NiGHTs stuff, then that Kenya rap mix from Super Dodge Ball, and now this. I'm a happy listener, that's for sure!

I think vocal remixes have always been good (some hit, some miss on a personal preference level). What we've seen as of late around OCR, with both vocal mixes as well as mixes in-general, is a larger representation of genres and subgenres. They're becoming more adventerous while keeping the quality bar high. And it definitely makes me happy to see that.

OA showed me this mix - seems like eons ago now - when it hit the panel, because he thought i'd really dig it, and dig it I fucking do - pretty awesome glammy stuff. I really don't think this is mix of the year tho, I think you guys are over reacting there. Each to his own tho. My only critique on this is that the production sounds too rough for glam... it lacks the production cleanness and is more rough sounding than much of the style. Maybe thats what they were going for however.

I do think the synths are biggest weak point, they sound too vanilla.

Yeah it sounds like i'm hating on this mix, and believe me i'm not, but as good as it is, it could be better, and i'm sure with time, these guys WILL get better and kick some 80's ass.

Hope they continue to submit :D

OA showed me this mix - seems like eons ago now - when it hit the panel, because he thought i'd really dig it, and dig it I fucking do - pretty awesome glammy stuff. I really don't think this is mix of the year tho, I think you guys are over reacting there. Each to his own tho. My only critique on this is that the production sounds too rough for glam... it lacks the production cleanness and is more rough sounding than much of the style. Maybe thats what they were going for however.

I do think the synths are biggest weak point, they sound too vanilla.

Yeah it sounds like i'm hating on this mix, and believe me i'm not, but as good as it is, it could be better, and i'm sure with time, these guys WILL get better and kick some 80's ass.

Hope they continue to submit :D

I know you're not hating Will :D But since you've mentioned some of the production flaws (which I happen to agree on), I think any lacking area is rendered a moot point by the sheer energy, passion and just plain awesomeness. I think the roughness in the mix is more of a stylistic choice, because the drums etc sound like they're mixed similar to Reyn Ouwehand's cover of this track... actually, there's a hell of a lot of that version of Deflektor in this mix; cues taken from production right through to instrumentation. But who can blame them - Reyn did create the ultimate remix... one that eclipses even the source in awesomeness. 'Cover Your Light' is a bastard child of glam rock, Reyn and gamey-goodness... but what a fantastic bastard child it is :D

I had to login just to post how great of a remix this was. I watched the youtube music video and loved it! It's definitely one i'll be sharing with friends. And i'm definitely going to be checking out your other music after hearing this amazing mix.

Amazing work in fitting the vocals and rock into the game music itself. Loved it!

• 1 month later...

Man, this has got to be one of the catchiest things I've heard this week. First off, the music video linked to this was pretty cool. But onto the actual ReMix, this ROCKS! The drum and guitar work sounded good and the arrangement itself was amazing. It had an 80's power-rock sound going, so of course I loved it. The solo was short and sweet. Not to mention the lyrics were actually nice and performed well. Finally, that chorus? OH! *musicnote*. Definitely in my recommended list.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02320 - Deflektor "Cover Your Light"