Grand Theft Auto V!

AJ-enova

Each new GTA has gotten successively less tongue-in-cheek since the third ones. This one will probably end up feeling dull and taking itself too seriously. I think Saint's Row captures the spirit of the original games better these days.

QFT. I had GTA4 given to me as a gift when I got my PS3, and I honestly stopped playing at "Bull in a China Shop" because I got so bored. Saints Row 2, however, kept me going for a bit longer simply because it is absurd, colorful, and...you know, FUN.

I'm one of the few people who prefered the top-down GTAs to the 3D ones. I enjoyed GTA3, and especially enjoyed Vice City (oh, the hours I wasted gunning people down while driving a Vespa) but it all has just gotten very "meh" lately.

I'm excited about this one (and that doesn't happen very often anymore).

I just hope they don't have all of that "friendship" crap that was in GTA4. I got really annoyed with people calling me every five minutes to hang out. I just want to drive cars, kill people, and run from the police. Not maintain a meaningful relationship with the in-game characters.

When it comes to the loveliness of the sandbox, I enjoy GTA for its narrative and settings, although I do agree that GTAIV was a departure from the colorful wacky fun that was the III era. I enjoy Saints Row for its more accurate representation of what most people enjoy about sandbox games, which is to dick around like nobody's business, except now they'd actually made that your business so everybody wins!

That said, I'm eager to see how dogs, added car functions like convertibles, the foreclosure of homes (return of property purchasing?), and the sheer size of that goddamn mountain will blend together for another chapter to the GTA franchise (and if there is a decent golfing mini-simulator, fuck yeah).

I'm excited, and I never got around to playing GTA: San Andreas, so who knows how I'll feel after I find the time to give that a whirl (and since this is just a teaser trailer, yeah I've got plenty of time)!

I'm excited, and I never got around to playing GTA: San Andreas, so who knows how I'll feel after I find the time to give that a whirl (and since this is just a teaser trailer, yeah I've got plenty of time)!

Dude it took me over a week of nonstop playing to get through the story alone (i mean nonstop wake up and play, go to bed playing) so.... good luck playing through the original in time before this is released.

Gotta say i was kinda disappointed this wasn't set in vice city due to the previous series being in that order,

This'l be the 3rd time we return to San andreas, the trailer looked pretty cool all round, the inclusion of animals and kids is kinda worrying a little seeing as it seems the series is going to a more realistic setting while there's probably a lot less focus on humor.

Gta4 didn't keep my attention like San Andreas did, HELL it didn't even keep my attention more then gta3 and that game was almost a blank slate compared to 4.

And i totally agree the friendship thing was very grating, it was like the gang wars in san andreas, which is why after beating the story i barely stayed in los santos so i wouldn't have a gang war every 2 minutes.

Hopefully they can bring back some of the random absurdity without being too serious.

After all, the humor is what attracted me to the original series to begin with.

It looks great and all, but y'know. It's gonna have that weird dichotomy between stupid angsty and overly serious cutscenes and gameplay where you routinely commit vehicular mass murder like GTA 4 had.

At least Saints Row 2 acknowledges that the protagonist is one crazy motherfucker, so in that game I feel a lot better about killing random pedestrians.

Yeah, the story of GTA4, while an interesting experiment, created a disconnect when you could mow down countless pedestrians on a sidewalk whenever you wanted. With that said, the Ballad of Gay Tony DLC hit in my opinion a very good balance between the outlandish and a satirical reality of American culture.

If anything, just looking at the advertisement signs around the city and the types of vehicles (fighter jets specifically) that are in the GTA5 trailer, if I were to make an assumption I would assume that Rockstar would -have- to tone down the seriousness and keep a lighter tone in general to make it all cohesively work together for a story.

With all of that said, I've personally always viewed Grand Theft Auto's story and player actions as separate. I've always viewed my actions as a player as wholly separate from the story, for most games really. Because I drive a car into pedestrians, doesn't necessarily mean its in Nico's characterization to. Whether the game should account for this is up for the debate, but I mean, similarly, I don't assume Master Chief would teabag his victims, yet we're given the tools to do it regardless. The disconnect is there, and it can be awkward, but I think viewing the character in a separate light through GTA4 helped me digest it more easily (not that I wasn't secretly hoping for a jetpack once I beat the game, haha).

--

The trailer looks fantastic. I'm digging the city, the liveliness, and the particularly hard hit economy. I was wowed, and I love the addition of jet skis and more air vehicles. Excited!

I for one am super-jazzed(yeah, you just read that) about returning to Los Santos(/San Andreas?)!

As for this game being a step up from GTA IV, I hope they're taken as many steps away from the mistakes they've made in IV as they have bumped up the visual flair. If so, I know we'll have a game worthy of the roman numeral upgrade and fitting into the legacy of the original San Andreas. More clothes and being able to buy properties would be appreciated. It's looking very good. I couldn't be happier that it's set in San Andreas again.

Hour zero purchase.

Also, I agree with Strike911. And Tensei on there being a dichotomy. Though I don't think it's so weird as it is an intentional artistic choice. It wouldn't be the successful Grand Theft Auto seriess if there wasn't a co-existance of over-the-top crass humor/violence and engaging storytelling (even if it is a bit of cheesy drama). Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, San Andreas and the rest of the popular modern entries in the series have had these elements present.

And we shouldn't ignore the fact that this is a video game. It can have both.

Granted, an imbalance of those two halves (or a decidedly stronger emphasis on realism over over-the-top/variety) won't be well-received, as we've seen with GTA IV's backlash, but I think Rockstar has learned from it's mistakes and it's feedback of the GTA IV 'experiment'.

Another thing, someone online had put foth an idea that one of the playable characters (if not in the main game then a DLC?) might be an illegal immigrant. I could see how that would tie into the setting well as well as offer a fresh perspective. We'll see.

Edited by ocre

http://vimeo.com/30970208

I guess not as sub-par, but still looks pretty bad compared to the PC version. Especially those shaky, rigid shadows. Yuck.

But I'd guess there's a big difference between coding the graphics of a linear, on-rails shooter (single-player, anyway) and an open-world game like GTA V. Or maybe Rockstar's art team is just lazy, because Avalanche didn't seem to have much of a problem making Just Cause 2 have good graphics.

Or maybe we're seeing pre-release footage and the game will look better than that.

I don't wanna touch any of the new GTA, they're so off and serious vs what they used to be. Saints Row 3 comes out a day after my b-day, and just with the character creation out right now, I'm having fun, just with the Female 2 voice for example: (with audible russian accent) "When I was a kid, my dad made me fight with the dog for food". If the game is anything like the 2nd, it'll be perfect.

I heard GTA 5 will have a golf simulator. What...

I heard GTA 5 will have a golf simulator. What...

yesssssssssssssssss; vent my frustrations on my opponent with my club when I miss a birdie!

Also, according to this: http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1625672&highlight=

It appears the game may not be all of San Andreas, but just Los Santos and surrounding country-side. As I stated before, I haven't played San Andreas, so what's everyone else's opinion on this news?

I'm one of the few people who prefered the top-down GTAs to the 3D ones.

I adore the top down games. The GBA game is pretty much permanently in my DS. That said, III was a religious experience for me and I absolutely love it.

V looks truly stunning. Hopefully some next gen systems will start coming out so I can nab a 360 or PS3!

It appears the game may not be all of San Andreas, but just Los Santos and surrounding country-side. As I stated before, I haven't played San Andreas, so what's everyone else's opinion on this news?

In the very same press release they state something along the lines that this is the largest and most ambitious game they've ever attempted. Sounds like it would have to be more than just Los Santos to me. Even if it is, I'm happy.

Speaking of which, I liked how each city had it's own separate police force and fire fighter force in the original SA.

• 1 year later...