Sonic CD on XBL, PSN

Garpocalypse

Is it me or am I the only one who enjoyed Spencer Nilsen's work on the NA version? I'm hoping this is selectable, it's just not Sonic CD without:

Sonic Boom! Sonic Boom! Sonic BOOOOOM!

You're definitely not the only one; I love the NA version, I think it got a bad rap because people didn't like not having the Japanese version accessible/selectable, not because it was a bad soundtrack. Now it seems perhaps they've made the opposite mistake :cry:

Is it me or am I the only one who enjoyed Spencer Nilsen's work on the NA version? I'm hoping this is selectable, it's just not Sonic CD without:

No i loved the american OST as well mainly due to the pc release here had that soundtrack so it was the one i was accustomed to.

I just hope they make it an alternate soundtrack or even an unlockable.

After all its now got tails as a unlockable playable character.

shu yu do do do~!

shu yu do do do~!

How can people not like this?!

I can see how the Japanese version is more in line with what Sonic fans expect but hearing the NA version in stereo coming out of my Genesis was a highlight of the Sega CD back in the early 90's. That was before there was a cd player in every home so cd quality sound was space age tech at the time.

Without Spencer's work this little secret wouldn't have had any impact at all. Could you imagine no sonic cd related nightmare's?

warning: you might not want to click on this late at night :) though i'm sure it's not much of a secret anymore.

I love the Spencer Nielsen soundtrack. I like the Japanese one, but Nielsen's will always be the true soundtrack in my heart. If it's any consolation at least, the upcoming Sonic CD soundtrack release will have both the original and a Crush 40/Cash Cash remix of Sonic Boom.

Yeah the NA is good, and it's what I grew up playing. But if they had left the Japanese soundtrack in for the NA release I'm sure everyone would love it even more. Nostalgia plays a big factor here. But I have the Sega CD version and the Mega CD version and I tend to reach for the one with the kickass techno tunes.

• 3 weeks later...

Both soundtracks?

Now that's what I'm talking about.

If they had snubbed the JAP soundtrack AGAIN I would have been irritated- at this point there would have been little reason to buy ANOTHER version of Sonic-CD.

I like both versions at least at certain points, but I lean towards the JAP soundtrack.

Though SONIC BOOM is a great tune.

• 3 weeks later...

It's out now, and it's amazing.

Picked it up for my Xperia Play for $1.99, and I'm quite literally stunned at the quality and care taken in porting this game over. Feels kinda surreal having Sonic CD on my phone.

Both Soundtracks (with new looping points for the tracks!) ...

Leaderboards and Achievements...

Widescreen graphics...

60fps Special Stage...

Just so, so great.

Fantastic stuff.

old thread revived eh?

I just got the trial and was literally holding my breath until i saw the soundtracks option.

I probably won't get it until after i get back from my holiday traveling. As much as I was looking forward to playing it again.

Is that "human" Sonic image still in there somewhere(the one that you got by putting 12-25 in the soundtest)? Or did they take it out. I'm sure it scarred some kids for life... Not me though. :)

-Majin

It's out now, and it's amazing.

Picked it up for my Xperia Play for $1.99, and I'm quite literally stunned at the quality and care taken in porting this game over. Feels kinda surreal having Sonic CD on my phone.

Both Soundtracks (with new looping points for the tracks!) ...

Leaderboards and Achievements...

Widescreen graphics...

60fps Special Stage...

Just so, so great.

Fantastic stuff.

You forgot the Tails unlockable, which is quite awesome. His flying ability is extremely useful in this game.

Sonic CD was the first Sonic game I ever played, so when I saw it was on the iPhone I instantly got it.

I have actually never heard the Japanese intro (Toot Toot Sonic Warrior) before this, and I must say, without the lyrics at some parts it sounds like an early WillRock track.

I plan on going through the game with the Japanese soundtrack first, then the American.

while some tracks on the american soundtrack aren't bad, per se, they all lack the personality and flair that the JPN/EU soundtrack possesses. Compared to the fun-loving, thumpin', crazy tracks in the JPN version, the American soundtrack sounds like your typical generic 90s soundtrack in comparison, with nothing really remarkable save for Sonic Boom.

This is very noticeable in, say, the boss tracks between both versions.

while some tracks on the american soundtrack aren't bad, per se, they all lack the personality and flair that the JPN/EU soundtrack possesses. Compared to the fun-loving, thumpin', crazy tracks in the JPN version, the American soundtrack sounds like your typical generic 90s soundtrack in comparison, with nothing really remarkable save for Sonic Boom.

This is very noticeable in, say, the boss tracks between both versions.

Personally, I think that all of Spencer's work peaked with Stardust Speedway Present. Beautiful Track for a beautiful run. Even though I really enjoy the vibe of the JPN version of the level (kind of like the background jingles in Sonic the movie) I think the US version tops it.

daba daba doo. daba daba doo.