Metroid Prime--At the End of Winter

Kruai

I really like it.

It is one of the most eerie versions of Phendrana Drifts that I've heard.

The things that I think you could change are the weird special effects noises thoughout the song because it seems to undermine the flow of the song.

Keep the violin and drums in it, but just get rid of those weird special effect noises, and I think it would be a great song, and eerie song.

Overall, I would say this a good start and I can see this song going places if you fix a couple things.

The biggest problem I have is the extremely distracting bass noise that starts at the beginning and goes on and off until about 0:58. It picks back up at about 3:31 and again goes on and off until about 4:20. I'd bring up the low end on that, don't be afraid to try bringing it way up. Or maybe use another sound for that.

Another issue that jumped out at me was the dubstep effect that lasts for about 2 seconds. Examples of this are at 2:01, and 2:16. The effect sounds jarring and harsh to me, even though it does fit in the song. I would lower the volume a bit, and maybe try to smooth it out. There are also a few weird sounding effects in the song that I can't quite pick out.

Despite those issues I still liked this mix, keep at it. Also, keep in mind that I don't have much experience as a remixer, but I have listened to tons of works in progress and even more submitted mixes, so I think my comments should be of use.

Thanks for your feedback, both of you!

Overall, I would say this a good start and I can see this song going places if you fix a couple things.

The biggest problem I have is the extremely distracting bass noise that starts at the beginning and goes on and off until about 0:58. It picks back up at about 3:31 and again goes on and off until about 4:20. I'd bring up the low end on that, don't be afraid to try bringing it way up. Or maybe use another sound for that.

Another issue that jumped out at me was the dubstep effect that lasts for about 2 seconds. Examples of this are at 2:01, and 2:16. The effect sounds jarring and harsh to me, even though it does fit in the song. I would lower the volume a bit, and maybe try to smooth it out. There are also a few weird sounding effects in the song that I can't quite pick out.

Despite those issues I still liked this mix, keep at it. Also, keep in mind that I don't have much experience as a remixer, but I have listened to tons of works in progress and even more submitted mixes, so I think my comments should be of use.

I got rid of the sound effects; they were actually unintentional, built into a hi-hat sample I was using. I am going to soften the momentary dubstep elements--I assume you mean the noisy wobble and the "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" screech.

However, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the "bass" sounds. Do you mean the kick for the drums, or from the string bass? Now that I listen again I hear a bit of feedback/clipping on the string bass, so I'm going to try to work on that.

Now that I listen again I hear a bit of feedback/clipping on the string bass, so I'm going to try to work on that.

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a bass, but I'm talking about the lowest sound at the beginning. That's the best way I can describe it, if that still doesn't make sense, just ignore it.

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a bass, but I'm talking about the lowest sound at the beginning. That's the best way I can describe it, if that still doesn't make sense, just ignore it.

OK! I tried to soften some of the bass at the beginning, since I noticed that was giving weird feedback. Sorry I can't quite get what you mean by the bass noise!

I did, however, soften the harsh sounds in the dubstep segment and get rid of the annoying noises.

Thanks for the feedback!

did anyone else think "james bond" when they heard this?

I think it's very...dampened/flat/muffled. I love the fell of it, it's a little dark. It's hard to say that it needs work, it obviously needs some touching up, but the source material is very difficult. The original was very well done and well suited, design to make the player feel the zone's intent. Metroid has always been good at that. So you're doing a really great job with nothing short of stubborn source material. I think it just needs some sharper definition. I kinda feel like i'm pressing my ear up against my neighbor's wall to listen to it.

OK...Nvm...just listened to the new version, which is posted ironically just above mine. Just disregard everything after the james bond statement with the exception of the word "it(s)"

did anyone else think "james bond" when they heard this?

I think it's very...dampened/flat/muffled. I love the fell of it, it's a little dark. It's hard to say that it needs work, it obviously needs some touching up, but the source material is very difficult. The original was very well done and well suited, design to make the player feel the zone's intent. Metroid has always been good at that. So you're doing a really great job with nothing short of stubborn source material. I think it just needs some sharper definition. I kinda feel like i'm pressing my ear up against my neighbor's wall to listen to it.

OK...Nvm...just listened to the new version, which is posted ironically just above mine. Just disregard everything after the james bond statement with the exception of the word "it(s)"

James Bond, huh? Thanks for your feedback!

Anyone else got any critiques they can put past this mix? I'd like to make any major edits while it's fresh, and I'd like to hear everyone's input!

• 8 months later...

I remember this from a while ago! I think I saw it on youtube at some point. Sweet!

Really nice work here! The intro sounds a little bit empty in my opinion, and in later parts of the song, when you have mostly drums and the lead playing, it has the same problem.

The piano sample you have sounds somewhat flat to me, though that's partly due to the fact that it's in a high octave.

Love the arp synths late in the song.

My biggest problem with the arrangement, is that it doesn't feel like it progresses very far. There's some awesome buildup and string writing, but it seams to plateau before the interlude, and then stays around that energy level until it ends.

Later on it gets a bit repetetive. Needs moar strings!

I really hope you keep working on this, it's really awesome so far!

I still don't like the dubstep part with all the random noise to it. Otherwise it's an iincredibly beautiful song.

Just take out that dubstep part of it and it will be perfect.

I really like it.

It is one of the most eerie versions of Phendrana Drifts that I've heard.

The things that I think you could change are the weird special effects noises thoughout the song because it seems to undermine the flow of the song.

Keep the violin and drums in it, but just get rid of those weird special effect noises, and I think it would be a great song, and eerie song.

I still agree with this.