Does it matter which minor?

Does it matter whether I use E minor or D minor in a song?

Only if the instruments you're using sound better in one key's range as opposed to the other's or if real instruments are going to be playing the music and one of the keys works better for technical reasons (ease of fingering, etc.). Or if you're not using equal temperament (but you are using equal temperament, so this is more of an aside than a consideration).

As the song's key or as a chord in it?

For the former, see Moseph's reply.

For the latter, harmony works better if you support the melody with the rest of the writing, using chords that contain many of the notes used in the melody. Depending on the key and scale (or mode) of the song, a D minor can be a chord using a note outside of the scale, possibly leading to clashing. While changing scales mid-flight can be done, it takes a bit of planning (or trial and error) to make it smooth. You ought to know this stuff already, tho.

What's coming before it?

really however you work the modulations is how you work them.

Dmin traditionally has been used as a funeral key. If something deals with or is to be used for something related to death then Dmin is used. Which can make it a great key for metal.

F#min is the best minor key anyway! and now the fighting begins...

I think if you have vox in the song, consider which key is best for the performer. Otherwise, most people will not notice. If there is guitar, e minor is easier in standard tuning, d min is good for drop D tuning. Otherwise, it doesnt matter.. Try modulating the key back and forth to find out which one you like more.

As in key or chord?

If it's key you're on about then no, not unless you're playing live; different keys are difficult for different instruments.

I'm sure it won't even matter to someone with perfect pitch, really.

However if it's chords you're on about then yes, it matters a lot.

EDIT -

Bah, you all covered it anyway. Whatever. This can stand as a testament to me knowing what I'm on about.

As an example of how an instrument's range can influence key choice, D-flat major is often associated with lushness and great emotion. This is probably because the key lets the string section play the lowest chord possible without using open strings. Half-steps up from the lowest possible string notes give you F for basses, D-flat for cellos, D-flat for violas, and A-flat for violins. (If you went down to C major with the lowest possible open notes, you wouldn't have any vibrato.) This is more an issue of the instruments' tone quality in their very low ranges than low vs. high pitch in itself.

As an example of how an instrument's range can influence key choice, D-flat major is often associated with lushness and great emotion. This is probably because the key lets the string section play the lowest chord possible without using open strings. Half-steps up from the lowest possible string notes give you F for basses, D-flat for cellos, D-flat for violas, and A-flat for violins. (If you went down to C major with the lowest possible open notes, you wouldn't have any vibrato.) This is more an issue of the instruments' tone quality in their very low ranges than low vs. high pitch in itself.

Truth is oozing from this statement. I wrote a song in Db Major/Minor once (switched between the two keys often enough where it didn't matter what to call it) and got a lot of flak for using a signature with so many flats rather than, say, moving everything a half step down and making it in C. Problem was, though, that I was using an A-clarinet, and the lowest note that it can sound is a Dd, and it was how I set up the mood of my piece, so it was physically impossible to make the desired change (moving up would make the piece less sonorous, so that wasn't an option, either).

Is this actually true or just your personal preference? :whatevaa:

Definitely preference.

When I first started learning about music composition, I read this one book that had a section about different keys. Saying that "D minor sounds like this" or "A minor sounds like." When I asked my music teacher about it and he said, "play in which key is suitable to the instrumentation."

The entire purpose of playing in a particular minor instead of another, is to accommodate the instruments in the song and their tuning. That's it.

Try playing "mary had a little lamb" in all keys on your keyboard or guitar. It is the very same song no matter what, but you will most certainly find it easier to play in specific keys.

"But wait!" I hear people already typing a response. "Death metal bands use the key of C Minor so much! It wouldn't sound as aggressive (or whatever) if they used a different key!"

That's because lots of those kinds of bands tune down to C. The act of tuning the guitar lower results in a deeper sound, which many rock and metal bands like the sound of. However, it is not because the key of C minor has magical heavy metal powers. You could play the song all the same in D tuning if you wanted.

If you're question was, "does it matter which minor scale I use" then the answer is "yes".

Without playing along, I want you to tell me what minor key you think this song is in

I'll give you a hint, it's not the same as the original song's key. However, no one who listens is likely to notice or care. This version sounds more aggressive because the guitar plays a palm muted pedal tone underneath the riff, the tone is crunchier and this version is faster. Key has nothing to do with it.

I hear different kinds of emotions depending on what key a song is played in. Maybe other people aren't as attuned to that, but I definitely hear a difference. To me it's a big deal, and I'll pick whatever key I think captures emotion the best.

When I improvise on piano, different keys inspire completely different moods and melodies. I actually recorded every song on my piano album in a different key.