The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Remix [WIP]

Ben Steed

Hi guys. I was wondering if some of you would be kind enough to give my WIP remix of 'Auriel's Ascension' (with parts of 'Reign Of The Septims') by Jeremy Soule a listen and offer some critical feedback. It is currently unmastered and the mix may need a bit of work, but thus far I think that's all that's outstanding, but I gladly welcome feedback for anything.

Thanks. :)

[Direct Link]

Hi!

Okay right off the bat, I think your choirs are a bit too fake sounding. What you can do here is automate the channel volume, do some crescendo/decrescendo with them. In fact, it would help your song's dynamics greatly if you did this with your violins, etc.

So anyway, the intro is okay, the sound is clear, the piano is a nice touch. I think honestly though it might be a little too drawn out. Maybe something else going on, slowly building (possibly something gated, or maybe anything driving the intro into where you drop the beat, 8th or 16th notes etc.)

Those delayed clap noises are kind of out of place, I think you might do better with a more ethnic choice instead.

When the saw comes in, it's pretty cool, but I don't think it can be the only thing driving the song, get a little more complex with the accompaniment, add a 2nd synth, anything really, there's room...

Also your drum writing is a little too plain, don't be afraid to get a good beat going to counter all the long notes. Contrast can really help deceive the listener into not minding long notes and chords.

I also think that maybe the tempo could be increased overall, as the song stands now, as it's just a little bit too sluggish.

When the Morrowind/Oblivion theme comes in, it's nice, but I think it might be a tad too late in the mix (at least for OCR standards), and I would like to hear it played up more as the song goes, don't be afraid to take the theme to different places, improv a little bit etc.

So anyway, work on volume automation, drums, tempo, and more interesting writing and you'll be solid. Good luck!

This is really really pretty. There is a lot of potential for an Epic mix here. Monobrow basically hits every nail on the head but just wanted to add a couple of things.

I think the arrangement is great but could do with a bit of streamlining/development. The intro is perhaps a little too long. I think the length would be fine if there was a more climatic finish to the song though. After around 2:00 it wouldn't hurt to add another section as I felt like I was waiting for it to kick in again like it did before (I love 1:18), but alas it finished. I do agree about the tempo, it could be changed up a bit more.

With the atmosphere of the mix I really think you could exploit the use of some orchestral instruments. It doesn't need to go full blow symphony orchestra, but with some extra synths and a smattering of strings and/or brass you could develop the ambience further.

As for the source usage, perhaps just have the theme come in at the very beginning. Have the piano play it and pan it far left and then move right so its just in the background. If you're wanting to make it subtle, use quite a lot of reverb, or mute the piano source track so all you hear is the reverb of the piano.

Anywho, I hope that is of some use. I really enjoyed that but want more!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this is so latecoming! Thank you very much for the feedback! I haven't touched this remix in a couple weeks; I intentionally wanted to let it ferment and let my mind/ears rest for a while, but now coming back I can see this is still very weak. Both of your bits of feedback are very useful, so thank you very much. I will restart work on it very shortly. :)