She's a Squirter

Brandon Strader

Love the title. Don't love the song as much. There's some catchy melodies for sure. However, It's got that "chiptuney" sound which is obviously what you intended and is true to the source in that regard.

But I hate "chiptune" sounding things.

...hate...chiptunes...what...

Anyway, this was a solid mix made even more impressive by the fact that you aren't typically a chiptune artist, although apparently, um, you are a chiptune artist. Yeah!

As most of the Wily Remix Gauntlet people noted, there are some mixing issues that need to be addressed (or did you address them? I'm just assuming this is the version you submitted). Otherwise, I don't see why this wouldn't pass the panel.

Ooo, very different from your normal style. Tinkering with the forbidden fruit of Chiptunes, I see. :roll:

I will start by saying this mix is pretty awesome and would probably have a good shot at the panel as it is. That being said, there are a few things that catch my ear that would could probably do better.

The overall mix tends to get cluttered. The drums overpower the other instruments a bit too much, imho, the textures dominate the themes and melodies, when there's counterpoint between the to themes (which is awesome, by the way) they fight for dominance, etc. It's not like the production is popping or anything, it's just that the song seems to lack focus, when it comes to the mixing.

The arrangement isn't bad, but it feels like it meanders a little bit before just saying 'fuck it' and fading out. Not sure if you can fix that in this mix, but having music that feels like it has a beginning, a center that drives to the end, and an end would give a remix a lot more direction. If you could do that with this mix that'd be awesome, but that's asking a bit much (especially since it doesn't take that much from the track, really), but it's something to consider for future tracks.

Mario coin sound? Wtf, but awesome :P

That's about it. While it's understandable to forego the arrangement issues I'm personally having, the mixing would be something that would be nice to fix. Good luck with the panel, when you sub this.

@Modus: Nah it's not more compressed... Maybe equally compressed, haha. I haven't used compressors on the mastering chain in a good while but I get good use out of compressors in individual tracks :-o

@Gario: :-x Yeah I might be able to convert one of the bits to a more "breakdowny" type bit later in the tune. Everyone gots to have their Fibonacci part or else they're like OMGWUT THERe'S NO CLIMAX! As for the drums, they're probably just a little too loud or somethin'. I've been listening to some of the other electronica tracks around OCR and it seems like the drums are lower. But halsea also has like, the noisy 8bit type percussive sounds that are somewhat loud. So it gets confusing. Also wut you're telling me you hadn't heard this yet? Did you forget about the Wily competition? hehe.

I expected to hear a hip hop track, considering the title and all. But regardless, I think this sounds really good. I am not a huge fan of chiptuney tracks, but I am really digging this one.

Also, for some odd reason the main melody is making me think of Linkin Park, I can totally hear Chester singing to it in my head. So, perhaps, someone should consider making a nu-metal remix of this track?

I really love the contrast between the chiptuney stuff and the realistic drums, especially the snare. But the whole drum loop sounds distorted? A little too much fizzle and crunch, it takes away from the other clean elements. Some cleaner hi hats would help a lot I think. Nice track, I like it.

(sorry, I'm not a mod... I'm waiting for a mod review too...) :-)

yeah that shit is whack

Yeah, I don't like the chiptune style.

Strader's song is good though. The mario coin sound is a cool touch, and overall it captures an aquatic sort of feel well.

Still, all that just makes wish I was hearing it done with all live instruments like guitars or something. :???:

My wording in the first post was piss-poor. Should've said "style" not "song".

I wasn't sure what to expect with a title like that, but I enjoyed this, nice work. When artists deviate on OCR, the result is always positive in my listening experience. I like your usual style, but this song is also good. Personally, I enjoy chiptune stuff, it has a nice nostalgia factor, plus it can produce some really crazy and unique sounds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's on the panel now? Then it's kinda useless for me to say anything, but I'll say anyways because I'm stupid like that.

I really like the arrangement, although as Gario said, there could be an actual ending instead of a limp fade out. Generally though there's some really good stuff going.

Mix-wise, I like the overall lil' dirtiness to it, but it's a little bit too compressed, or just compressed the wrong way. It feels a bit too cluttered and the melodies sometimes tend to get drowned by the drum and bass. You could try tightening release (and probably attack aswell), or just go about it the old way and play with the volume settings throughout the song. Or do both.

Or pay attention to nothing of the above as you've submitted it already. Great job though, it was a catchy tune :-)