midi question

ufo2222

With hard work.

Unless you're dealing with single instrument, thatis - I don't think there's algorithms that can separate a mix to its constituents. Even with simple enough material, you'll have the problem of setting the right sensitivity so you don't end up with a lot of notes in the place of a single one, or vice versa.

Dunno how Melodyne would handle a mix, but I doubt it could separate instruments from one another.

In other words, use your ears.

Dunno how Melodyne would handle a mix, but I doubt it could separate instruments from one another..

I've only used the beta of Melodyne Editor, but IIRC it was able to pull notes pretty accurately -- no instrument separation, though. I only used it with a violin/piano piece, though, so I don't know how it would do with stuff that's more sonically complicated.

http://www.widisoft.com/english/widi-audio-to-midi-vst.html

I've never used this as I've always tried to use my ears but this might be cool if you have a piece of audio you'd like to break down into midi then reassign to different synths.

A problem I've had with newscool. If it works it might actually be pretty cool to use newscool to come up with new grooves then break it down into midi then build it back up with my other vst's

Why am I giving this information out?

-gar

How do i turn an mp3 into an midi?

With your ears and instruments.

That is truly the only effective way. So many people want to convert mp3s to midis, guitar tabs, sheet music etc. The best way is to figure it out by ear because that will improve your sense of pitch, playing, and you will most likely be playing it somewhat different than the original. Which is a good thing.

Or you can just search the web for midi etc. of the song in question. Which are usually transcribed by ear as well.