Nitronic Rush - an innovative indie racing game available for free

Dj Mokram

Today I'd like to share with OCR one of the most enjoyable indie game I've ever had the chance to play: Nitronic Rush.

nitror1.jpg

TRAILER:

PLATFORM: PC

Start you engines and get ready for my little review of the game. :)

Nitronic Rush is an innovative survival racing game set inside a futuristic computer city that has been infected and transformed by a strange virus.

Your mission is to seek the virus core with your interceptor, racing through colorful environments while avoiding computer generated hazards along the way.

Best described as the uncanny love child of SanFrancisco Rush 2049, Ridge Racer, Trackmania, Split Second Velocity, Wipeout, Tron, Coolboarders and Starfox (among others), Nitronic Rush is an homage to the racing games from the 90s and the work of a team of students from the DigiPen Institute of Technology.

The game features 4 modes, each with their own courses and secret routes, an unlockable ghost feature, and a myriad of achievements to collect as you progress.

You can of course choose to rush to the finish line as fast as possible like in any racing game, but that's only half the fun.

The catch is that the car you're driving is also equipped with trusters that can propel you in any given direction while you're in mid-air.

With that in mind, you're encouraged to execute the craziest stunts and rack up bonus points in an attempt to break highscores while triumphing over evil.

You've got a vast amount of freerange in how you can tackle each course, but the emphasis is always on having lots of fun.

Note that the game is natively compatible with X360 controllers, and was meant to be played this way. So if you have one handy, you're in for a treat.

With its impressive graphics, tight controls, mindblowing car physics, rock solid level design and adaptive challenge, it sounds almost inconcevable that this game could have been created from scratch (without any pre-existing engine) by a group of up-and-coming game devs.

Not only that, but it also features a fantastic soundtrack with some excellent and distinctive electronic music that'll get stuck into your head as you navigate the treacherous roads and make your way to the Core.

Still not convinced? Well, get ready for a shocker: Nitronic Rush is available now for the incredible price of FREE!

That's right free. So go get it now and give it a spin ...and also a double backflip while you're at it. :grin:

Be prepared to dive into the void with nothing but you reflexes to avoid bottomless pits, giant seessaws, moving walls, falling shards and virus sentinels.

Spin, jump, ride on walls and boost your way to the finish. And if the worst comes to worst, you can always deploy your wings and do a barrel roll.

(and yes, you can actually do that in this game)

I'm having a hard time getting the really fantastic stunts down and not crashing (my aim is to reproduce that KABAM, SON in the trailer for the game), but besides that, my time with this game so far has been well-spent. Everyone needs to play this, and I really hope some enterprising company snatches these kids up and puts them to work ASAP like Valve did for the folks behind Portal.

Yeah, nailing down the difficult stunts while racing is a bit complex at first, but when you do, it's very rewarding indeed.

One good technique is to boost before a jump, deploy wings and fly up, then fire up the thrusters steadily till you reach the ground.

With a little luck, you'll keep spinning when you land and can rack up insane amount of point by doing a little 'breakdancing' with the car.

There are things in Nitronic Rush that you simply cannot do in any other racing game. 8-)

Going through the Story mode first is a good way to get a feel for the possibilities. Then the Stunt mode helps you get a hang of advanced techniques.

Hardcore mode is another story though. They've added a ton of gravity based sections and without wings to recover, it gets crazy very quickly.

Everyone should try this game, as it really is a lot of fun and a wonderful tribute to the racing games we all know and love.

These guys deserve more exposure. Imagine what they could create with proper financial backing from a big company. :)

Oh, San Francisco Rush.

How many hours did I spend launching off that weird little hexagonal platform(see: "N64 circular") by the weird sculpture thing on that one track as a kid? A couple hundred? Probably?

Despite how vague I was, I bet most of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Yeah, so this game looks sweet, and I hate racing games.

Flipflipflipflipflip...

I just completed the story and haven't touched the rest of the content.

But this game...is some of the most fun I've had from downloading a random racing game off of the internet...ok not the highest praise there could be, but I'll try to expand.

The game does warn playing with a keyboard is not recommended, but that's all I have, the game is still playable with a keyboard, you've just gotta get used to not using accelerate when you wanna fly. Everything is pretty intuitive so long as you pass the tutorial, so there's no need for them to hold your hand through the game.

Checkpoints are pretty well placed, it seems like there are a lot in the first level but that's just preparing you for the future. Every level brings new traps and tricks and from me personally, many "FUUUUUUU" movements. But it never felt like, I couldn't do it. I always felt like, ok, I've gotta get my timing down better. Even the ending credits level was amazing, there were little secrets here and there [i saw a crow/raven, a car, and a sheriff? somewhere up above]

The music is pretty catchy too.

Only minor things bothered me was that when you fall and land badly (ie on the roof of your car >.>) on a normal track, you don't explode and if you were doing a trick you'll still get points. Well as unskilled as I am, I actually like this, but considering the rest of the game, I sort of expected it to be unforgiving on such things. And the other thing is wings can possibly be abused, one part with the spike wheels, I just couldn't dodge well enough so I decided to take to the sky (a simple manual jump can be used to activate them). Now the wings are still well balanced as they overheat fairly fast so despite "cheating" this way, I still had to come down and face the tail end of that.

But as it is, this game seems pretty great especially for an indie. They're onto something here, and I'm glad I got to sample this, because they might create more awesome projects in the future.

judging by the trailer, this is the sf rush title I've been waiting for my entire fucking life

jesus christ this looks soooo good.

Oh, I assure you, it really is as good as it looks. If you''ve played (and enjoyed) SFRush2049, you owe it to yourself to try Nitronic Rush. ;-)
Only minor things bothered me was that when you fall and land badly (ie on the roof of your car >.>) on a normal track, you don't explode and if you were doing a trick you'll still get points. Well as unskilled as I am, I actually like this, but considering the rest of the game, I sort of expected it to be unforgiving on such things.
If you're not destroyed when reaching the lower levels, you're stuck in a narrow structure with no other way out than falling into the laser net below.

That's proly the programmer's way to give you a chance to score points for your stunt before having to go back to the checkpoint.

Not to mention the fact that in Stunt mode, that's also part of the design to fall down, land tricks and get back up using the booster or wings.

And the other thing is wings can possibly be abused, one part with the spike wheels, I just couldn't dodge well enough so I decided to take to the sky (a simple manual jump can be used to activate them). Now the wings are still well balanced as they overheat fairly fast so despite "cheating" this way, I still had to come down and face the tail end of that.
I hope you're enjoying those wings in Story, because in Hardcore mode they are taken away from you entirely. :shock:

On the plus side, nailing the tricks and stunts there feels great and the level design is mindblowing, but the courses are made of sheer madness.

That's when things really starts looking like Wipeout on PSX or Extreme G on N64 (minus the weapons and competitors that is).

The wings-only section are a wonderful homage to Starfox. I was expecting Peppy to pop up anytime and advise me to do a barrel roll. ;P

I like how the dev team called the Ancient levels 'unpolished', but they're actually pretty damn good and even have chiptune music at times.

Also, anyone tried playing with the van instead of the interceptor?

I hope you're enjoying those wings in Story, because in Hardcore mode they are taken away from you entirely. :shock:

On the plus side, nailing the tricks and stunts there feels great and the level design is mindblowing, but the courses are made of sheer madness.

Also, anyone tried playing with the van instead of the interceptor?

I'm playing it slowly lol. But yeah, I tried out challenge mode this morning, and the first thing was like "wings disabled". I was like...frick. Took me more time than it should have to complete the hardcore tutorial one lol. That wall riding O.O...

Took me more time than it should have to complete the hardcore tutorial one lol. That wall riding O.O...

Gravity is most likely your worst enemy in the advanced modes. The third or fourth course in Hardcore took me around 10 min the first time.

Some sections are gruelling even with a solid racing game background, but that's cause we're not used to think that way when driving.

You can get around most obstacles or situations with quick reflexes, but there's definitely some trial and error involved here.

It's still a lot of fun to play though. :)

Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Looks awesome.

I tried installing in on my computer, but everything is running slow, and I don't think it's the other half dozen programs I keep open. I guess my computer doesn't like the version of DirectX they used. Anyone else have this problem?

I just started the challenge levels. I beat hardcore finally. The last two levels were mean, mostly at the end than anything else. I swear "Hardcore Black" was only completed by luck.

Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Looks awesome.

I tried installing in on my computer, but everything is running slow, and I don't think it's the other half dozen programs I keep open. I guess my computer doesn't like the version of DirectX they used. Anyone else have this problem?

Not me. Perhaps its a memory thing? The cities are huge. They look like its just decoration but if you go off the beaten path you really can get lost in them..

• 3 months later...

Wasn't sure to make another post or just necro...so necro it is. More tracks and whatnot have been added, but I'm here to post...the music is released :D

Download:

http://torcht.com/nitronic-rush-soundtrack/

Details:

http://torcht.com/2012/03/its-finally-done/

Don't ask me what it sounds like >_> it feels like it's going to take all night to download