OCR01364 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Anthem of a Misguided Youth"

djpretzel

I enjoyed this remix. It was good but out of the remixs of gerudo this one is #2 man. Djpretzal got you beat on my list. I like the key he has the song better I think. I really thinks the only reason. I always seem to lean more to the darker side of the keys. I make beats myself but they game remakes though. But this is still the shit nonetheless. Besides I posted this to let you know I liked it. Not to tell you that I pretzal's better. Good job son.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This is one helluva varying piece. So I'm going to review it in a timeline fashion.

So, the beginning. Okay, I'm going to be blunt in saying that I think this beginning sucks. As plain and simple as that, in no way does it represent what's to come, and it's mainly because of the choice to use that xylophone in there - xylophones have their place in electronic/sequenced music, and that's in elevators and in the background of teletext. The organ in the background is nasty too, if you ask me.

A very nice bassline comes in. Though I'm listening to this through headphones here, it would be friendly with some subwoofers. Nice sounding main riff. A lovely guitar, with some underlying strings, and a violin makes it's way in, too, which is a nice sound. Nothing super special, but still nice.

Sorry to bring another downer into the review, but what we have next I wasn't fond of, either. Short string chords, a nasty sounding oscillator based synthesizer with none-too-nice equalising et cetera, and... link vocals. Well, grunting sounds and vocals from the game itself can be a nice humorous touch to certain styles of mix, particularly in dance style, but here they really don't work. Thankfully, what comes next is so good that we can forgive this.

Okay, the elevator music quality has faded, and we get a quiet section, with some lovely sounding strings, and a very well performed and written(if not improvised) piano solo. Then in comes that guitar again, a fantastic original section all througout, this is so good I have completely forgotten about those Link sounds.

Once we go back into the game theme it goes all elevator again, and in comes that damn xylophone again.

Then, what do we have here at 2:33? I'm picturing Banjo and Kazooie walking into a haunted house now. Anyone who doesn't picture that when hearing this section, doesn't know who Banjo and Kazooie are, and are probably picturing some other cartoon character walking into a haunted house...

The main riff returns again, the same as it was earlier, nice again. And a LOVELY breakdown, when the bass and drums hide away, then we go into some wonderful rythm guitar, filtered and EQ'ed to sound like it's on an old radio or something, absolutely WONDERFUL in my opinion. Sadly this section is the fadeout. Now I'm not going to say the creator of this remix should have kept that going, because that would be ignorant, and it's the fact that this is used for the fadeout of the song that's particularly artistic and works well, but it's a pity, to me, that the most enjoyable part of the song turned out to be the ironic little fadeout at the end.

Uhm, well, as you can probably guess, from reading my review there, I can't really give this a sum-up. There are good parts, bad parts, fantastic parts and sucky parts. It's very varied. So I guess that's all I can say.

The song is quite mellow and allows you to relax and just nod your head with the music. The harmonious guitars and claps just draw you further into the music. There's even an unexpected cameo by child Link, and a few of his battle cries, which I find are an excellent addition to the piece. Keep up the good work. I hope to hear something from you in the future. As for now, I'll just keep absorbing this into my mind...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I just finished tabbing out the guitar parts, so here it is:

Guitar Tab (.png image)

Version of the ReMix with no guitar leads (so you can play along!)

You'll have to set the paper to landscape if you want to print the TAB. Enjoy!

-chth

Well, sweet. That's awfully cool of you. As a guitarist myself, I can appreciate this.

I just finished tabbing out the guitar parts, so here it is:

Guitar Tab (.png image)

Version of the ReMix with no guitar leads (so you can play along!)

You'll have to set the paper to landscape if you want to print the TAB. Enjoy!

-chth

Well, sweet. That's awfully cool of you. As a guitarist myself, I can appreciate this.

Out of curiousity, is it easier than you thought it would be, or harder?

-chth

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01364 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Anthem of a Misguided Youth"