PETA says new Mario promotes wearing fur

Soul Splint

No peta does not have rational views. They value animals above human life, so much that they oppose things like insulin dirived from dogs. And they also do not condemn the actions of the Animal Liberation Front. A group whom has firebombed animal testing facilities and done millions of dollars in damage to advances in medical science.

Again, the basis for these views is rational: animals have rights. If this isn't rational, why are there animal cruelty laws?

It's PETA's taking the view to the extreme that is often irrational (i.e. valuing human life less than other animal life).

Again, the basis for these views is rational: animals have rights. If this isn't rational, why are there animal cruelty laws?

It's PETA's taking the view to the extreme that is often irrational (i.e. valuing human life less than other animal life).

I agree, except that I do not think that PETA values animal life more than human life. On the same level for sure, but not more than.

Peta is looking to get the total abolition of animal exploitation for any purposes. That sounds like a noble goal, until you actually look at what Peta defines as animal exploitation. That very broad definition includes having pets. An idea so profoundly dumb that I have no words for it. We humans would not be as successful as a species without the pets we have over the countless centuries. Peta would go against thousands of years of progress for our species to save the lives of a few cows and chickens and such.

So to outright deny that Peta doesn't think that animals are better than humans is ridiculous.

Rationality in its primary base isn't just the idea alone, the extension of that idea counts too. An idea doesn't do anything by itself until it's implemented. It doesn't matter what it looks like on paper if whats going to happen in real life makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with you (not YOU personally, the royal you, the editorial.../TheDude).

Any way, getting off track there. Point is they're genuinely crazy dicks who should be slapped one at a time with bloodied sides of beef and while we scream "This cow died for your sins! Repay the favor!"

That'll learn'em to be rational! >:D

Peta is looking to get the total abolition of animal exploitation for any purposes. That sounds like a noble goal, until you actually look at what Peta defines as animal exploitation. That very broad definition includes having pets. An idea so profoundly dumb that I have no words for it. We humans would not be as successful as a species without the pets we have over the countless centuries. Peta would go against thousands of years of progress for our species to save the lives of a few cows and chickens and such.

So to outright deny that Peta doesn't think that animals are better than humans is ridiculous.

I wouldn't necessarily say that this statement proves they think animals are superior as much as they don't view them as inferior, which keeping them as pets, beasts of burden, or research experiments might allude to according to their perception.

That being said, I still think they're a bunch of crazies...

My god...

PETA IS TEAM PLASMA!! D:

Okay...clearly there is some misinformation going around here. Peta is definitely not against keeping pets.

Take a look at their page on companion animals.

They are against things like puppy mills and animal abuse by owners, but not against keeping pets, in fact they encourage adopting cats and dogs so that they can have good safe homes.

Obviously there's an issue if the pet owner is abusive, but they are quite happy with non abusive owners.

Edit: Ah, I just got to the part in the Penn and Teller episode where they talk about this. Well guess what? They give no evidence to back up that statement. I guess things like that show are where so many people get false information about PETA.

Edit 2: Wait a minute...Equating the animal rights movement to the abolition of slavery can only be equated to "Having gone to college"? What does that even mean?

This was by far my favorite part.

"To help prove their point, PETA has even commissioned a crude parody video game called "Super Tanooki Skin 2D" in which players try to re-capture their skin from a flying Mario (Warning: Kind of disturbing, and totally not fun.)"

Haven't played it yet, though. Any good?

When you win it says @#$! you Mario!

Game of the year material.

This was by far my favorite part.

"To help prove their point, PETA has even commissioned a crude parody video game called "Super Tanooki Skin 2D" in which players try to re-capture their skin from a flying Mario (Warning: Kind of disturbing, and totally not fun.)"

Haven't played it yet, though. Any good Amphibious?

Actually I thought it was kind of funny. Stupid, but funny.

I don't think Nintendo will approve of the use of their character like that, though - can't PETA get sued for intellectual property infringement for something like this? I would've thought that they'd be smart enough not to toy with the biggest VG company's biggest icon like that. :neutral:

Then again, this is PETA we're talking about.

I don't think Nintendo will approve of the use of their character like that, though - can't PETA get sued for intellectual property infringement for something like this? I would've thought that they'd be smart enough not to toy with the biggest VG company's biggest icon like that. :neutral:

It's clearly parody. Nintendo would almost certainly lose the case (although actually going through with the lawsuit is the only way to find out for certain). Nintendo's actual response, which Mirby linked, strikes me as the legal equivalent of "lolwut?" and shows that they probably think the whole thing is just as dumb as everyone else does.

not better than humans. precisely as good as humans. you're a filthy speciesist ^^

hey, peta is hilariously retarded, but their logic isn't that hard to understand. they don't like animals being exploited.

neither do i. but i don't care enough because i've eaten meat for most of my life. i don't care enough because there seems to be more pressing stuff happening all the time than labrats dying.

still, there are people who become militant about it.

pardon the cheese, but reevaluating our relation with the rest of earth's inhabitants should be on our long-term to-do list. the biblical paradigm ("subdue the earth") has had its time.

thought to be honest, i don't know if peta is helping or hurting this cause :S

it's because in the eyes of peta, everyone appears as a heartless monstrosity. you sick tyrants of the food chain, brainwashed by video games too!

see, they're not 100% off.

if everything we bought in supermarkets were completely transparent about its origin, raw materials and manufacturing (utter utopia ofc), it would become impossible to buy there and feel good about yourself. you'd have to concede that it's either time to grow stuff in the garden or admit you suck as a human being.

which is exactly why publicity stunts about dead animals in video games suck balls. it's just fucking unimportant but still more of a headline than 'humanity continues to rape everything 24/7'

Yeah I really don't see the point in posting a thread like this. Sure, everyone will have a good laugh at PETA being crazy again, but it's not like anyone here will seriously go "Well, you know, they might have a point...", so there's little to discuss.

I honestly didn't expect a discussion, and I'm a bit surprised by the amount that has gone on. Laughter was the only intended consequence. If PETA (as nuts as they are) going after one of the biggest video game legends doesn't bring a momentary spark of humor to your day...

I honestly didn't expect a discussion, and I'm a bit surprised by the amount that has gone on. Laughter was the only intended consequence. If PETA (as nuts as they are) going after one of the biggest video game legends doesn't bring a momentary spark of humor to your day...

Not to mention Ninty's response that basically says "lolwut?"

see, they're not 100% off.

if everything we bought in supermarkets were completely transparent about its origin, raw materials and manufacturing (utter utopia ofc), it would become impossible to buy there and feel good about yourself. you'd have to concede that it's either time to grow stuff in the garden or admit you suck as a human being.

Right you are, although the "filthy" feeling could come more from knowing what you're putting in your body by consuming a CAFO animal than from knowing you're eating something that was horribly abused from birth to death. See how good of a person I am!!!!!11/

And this is coming from me, a guy who eats about a pound of meat daily. Moral of the story, frequent your local farmers' market because PETA ain't got shit on how well-treated 100% pastured animals are. It's almost like the farmers are allowing the animals to live and eat as they'd like while protecting them from predators! But somehow it's still subjugation, damn it!

Better moral of the story: all PETA proved is that Mario games would be absolutely fantastic with lots of gore.