OCR01365 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Marble Dash"

djpretzel

That was fantasic man. I found myself making up my own guitar breakdown right there. This song is really musical and just makes me feel good about it. At 3:55 i love the baseline. And around 5:08 my favorite part is tight. Just perfect. You could have gotten crazy towards the end if you wanted to. I don't why you didn't. Supurb.

Sweet! Man it was a beautiful morning...this morning...and I was listening to this with the windows open. The sunlight and fresh air mixed perfectly with this...mix (wow, twice in one post!). This just sounds very fresh, and it reminds me a lot of Marble Zone. Of course, you've taken it sufficiently far from the original on the funk train. Man, great stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

House? This is what I'd call electro-boogie, or disco. Or white-people-who-think-it's-still-the-seventies.

Except it doesn't have the depth or bass which made that music great...

Neither does it keep me interested for more than five minutes...

Although I don't deny that this song was created from scratch and probably took a lot of work, the result sounds to me like someone pulling out a yamaha keyboard, choosing a disco 'style' setting and just playing the Marble Zone theme song over it in a quite badly chosen piano vox.

Nothing else really happens in the song... And sections we've already heard repeat themselves with no real changes made.

In the words of Mr. Horse from Ren & Stimpy - "No, Sir, I don't like it."

With no offense intended to the creator of the song.

• 11 months later...

Heh, this remix got the groove, I'll give you that. Bass synths along with some classic beats makes a good concept, and it seems like J Morse tried many different combinations with his sample equipment to get some variation in this arrangement. I guess I can't complain about this remix being too short, after like 2 minutes I checked how long this mix was, and when I saw that it had whopping 6 minutes and 20 seconds on its track, well.......holy crap. :lol:

The piano sample might be my favorite thing about this one, it handled the melody well and gave this remix a happy go lucky feel that hits the spot about right.

To sum it up in one word: Nice. :wink:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Very remeniscent of the Joshua Morse sound, actually I'd go so far as saying there is arguably more Morse in this mix than any other, given the unusual length. Concerning the length, I liked it and prefer it to something directly to the point, in the door and out again style. As it is now, it crams a whole lot into its running time and does it with patience and consistency.

Musically, it's basic groove fare. Fresh sounding and piping hot, but nothing that is going to turn my aural landscape upside down. The piano and strings do an excellent job of introducing new threads to inject some crucial variation into the piece, and as a result the mix runs smoothly and never bores.

Perhaps not as interesting and lively as what would come from J Morse a while later, but it still fills its 6+ minutes with a lot of funk and ultra-laid-back disco vibes. It's a little light for my selective tastes, but there's still a definite time and place for this on my playlist as well. A mix that is nothing if not ambitious in the world of mellow videogame mixes.

• 10 months later...

really nice stuff, I love the semi-closed hihat swish sample as an unintended hook, and the piano work is beautiful. The arrangement has a lot of twists and turns, and the variations on the theme are really nice. The bass sounds great, and this would be great background music to a night out on the town with a beautiful lady or two. :-D

Stay classy, JM, this is great stuff. :-)

• 5 years later...

Yeah, boy, this is a classic Morse thing! Funky and smooth as hell. The piano work is pretty nice, the groovy beats are pretty nice as well. And, damn, bass is certainly the name of the game here. It actually sounds a quite boring sometimes, but the piano improvisation @ 3:11 actually helps to refresh everything a little and the moment @ 4:53 was also pretty cool. Nice work, Joshua!

• 9 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01365 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Marble Dash"