OCR02325 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Finality (Radio Edit)"

djpretzel

Cyril and JH Sounds were kind enough to let me use this song for an advertisement contest at my university. So a big thanks to both of them!

This song is so beautiful; so touching. You can woo the women with it and make them cry. If you ever need to lose your positive attitude for a while and get down and dirty with the blues, then this song will help take you to that magical land.

Download!

Whoa. This is awesome and a little depressing at the same time. Weird. The vocals were heavy and worked really well on the theme of the song. Very somber and sad in the beginning, but then it kicks in a bit at the second verse and it finishes strong while still holding onto that mortality feeling. Love it.

Congrats to JH for his first mixpost!

Connor is steadily improving with the vocals, although I do wish the breathy quality would go away :razz: . A little before 2:00, it reminds me a little of

. Perhaps the song could have went a little longer with that last part to enhance the feel of finality.

Good job with this though, a fairly good execution here with this mix.

When I first heard the radio cut through Remix: ThaSauce, my jaw literally dropped at the whole idea behind the whole thing - reminds me so much of the arrangement of "Mad World" for the score to Donnie Darko.

Prior to this I had been familiar with much of JH's work from whilst I was still hosting the PRC, but the writing approach on this one managed to take it to a whole new level in comparison. Throw in Cyril's vocal work as well, accenturating with the faster variation at 1:50 and we have this dynamic yet somewhat somber approach to the track that really reflected on the more claustrophobic nature of the source.

For the most part, the writing game out well, though I'm not really too sure about the stiff string expression here, even at the end when the playing suddenly cuts out. That to me may be the only real issue I have with what is otherwise a beautiful piece of work.

I feel somewhat sad though that after Hedgehog Hysteria, JH decided to retire from remixing and dedicate his artistic capabilities elsewhere (most notably through the Crackton comics); though, we are still happy to see that you want to focus your time within the community and all associations with it, and by having a mix post on OCR you've managed to really break through that barrier and showing that personal side through your music. I am still so proud of you even today :)

• 4 weeks later...

I love Cyril's vocals. I always have. They're so emotional, even if they're a bit flat.

The piano is incredibly good at conveying the sadness in this mix.

The oboe(?) is great for the opening part.

The drums help build up the dynamic towards the end.

My only problem is that it's really short. Is it so bad that I want more? Haha

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Not much to add, very deliberately paced, solid moody track, nothing superfluous, nothing lacking. Vocals work very well in this one; I can understand and even agree with the suggestions for technical improvements here, but most importantly they sounded very convincing on an emotional level, I felt like the singer was meaning what he was saying.

There was a sour note at 1:34 that should have been auto-tuned and ended up breaking the immersion of the listen.

Actually, that's a sweet note, which is the opposite of a sour note. Scientific fact.

The ending seemed a bit abrupt, as I think either some rubato piano, or even something more involved would be a good epilogue to the lyrics, giving the listener time to reflect;

This made me think about the ending, and I agree with this previous guy here:

I was listening to this song and I was like, "This piece is so good but it's too short!" Then I realized the purpose of this piece, connected that with the length of the song, then came to the conclusion that the length symbolized the fraility and shortness of life. Then I loved the song even more :)

I thought the ending was a great fit.

--Eino

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02325 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Finality (Radio Edit)"