Stop Online Piracy Act

Magnetic Ether

• 3 weeks later...

Recessed until tomorrow. I'm not fully educated on what SOPA is, but it really does sound borderline draconian. Some of the recent bills passed honestly look like it's Congress and the White House digging in for some kind of revolt, which I guess was kind of bound to happen but it's still depressing as fuck.

I guess that's just the way things go...

edit: january, not tomorrow. im stupid.

edit2: wait hold up, it was today, now recessed until january. ok.

Recessed until tomorrow morning. I'm not fully educated on what SOPA is, but it really does sound borderline draconian. Some of the recent bills passed honestly look like it's Congress and the White House digging in for some kind of revolt, which I guess was kind of bound to happen but it's still depressing as fuck.

I guess that's just the way things go...

I actually just read this article, and it basically says the same thing about digging in for some kind of revolt. Like the powers that be are scared of something similar to the Arab Spring happening here.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/268080/20111215/sopa-signals-end-free-information-age-won.htm

Sometimes I wonder if they want a revolt to happen. A very large portion of the government are being extreme tampons lately when it comes to issues of liberty and freedom. Do they want us to be like China?

Maybe they figure if they make The States like China, that'll bring the jobs back over here. All they have to do is drop minimum wage way down, and their plan will surely work!

And really, we're the tampons, having to catch the whole bloody mess those twats are making.

Donations to SOPA Co-Sponsors from the movie industry-

Rep. Howard Berman, D-Calif., $1,727,156.

Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., $516,400

Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., $488,731

Rep. Mary Bono Mack, R-Calif., $488,636

Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Tex., $392,995 (sponsor)

Rep. Robert Goodlatte, R-VA, $316,686

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., $261,700

Rep. Lee Terry, R-Nev., $248,168

Rep. John Barrow, D-GA, $210,900

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., $204,199

POLITICS

E: Then again, the other side probably gets bribed by tech giants (microsoft, google) as well.

Say it with me: "Whitney is the funniest sitcom in human history, and anyone remixing it online should be arrested."

Some other highlights from yesterday included numerous jabs from party to party in regards to who's been paid to back a particular side, a completely offensive amount of using the word "nerd" in a negative context, and a tweet by Iowa rep Steve King saying that one of the speakers was so boring (this was a speaker who was against SOPA and went on at length with many reasons why) that he stopped listening and started browsing the web DURING the hearing.

Oh, and I just turned on the feed and they're getting started right now. They're doing opening statements.

Sometimes I wonder if they want a revolt to happen. A very large portion of the government are being extreme tampons lately when it comes to issues of liberty and freedom. Do they want us to be like China?

This probably has something to do with it... This excerpt is taken from the Washington Post.

-----

"It’s exactly as we feared. For every person who appears to have some grip on the issue, there were three or four yelling at him.

- 'I’m not a nerd,' said Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D- Calif.). 'I aspire to be a nerd.'

- 'I’m a nerd,' said Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.).

If I had a dime for every time someone in the hearing used the phrase 'I’m not a nerd' or 'I’m no tech expert, but they tell me . . .,' I’d have a large number of dimes and still feel intensely worried about the future of the uncensored Internet. If this were surgery, the patient would have run out screaming a long time ago. But this is like a group of well-intentioned amateurs getting together to perform heart surgery on a patient incapable of moving. 'We hear from the motion picture industry that heart surgery is what’s required,' they say cheerily. 'We’re not going to cut the good valves, just the bad — neurons, or whatever you call those durn thingies.' "

Let me just comment about SOPA for a second. Under the word of the proposed amendment, OCR could potentially be shut down for a single infringement notice being filed by ANYONE against it. Let's say you take this mix, which has a small clip from the Pokémon Anime. Under SOPA, OCR could be denied existence by being filtered out of search engines and denied access from its hosting provider if a claim was filed against it for a potential copyright infringement. Note that here I'm taking it as a literal, since we liberally work under the mantra of intepretive music as not infringing on what it is interpreting. The search engines and service providers would deny service because it grants them immunity to being held accountable for the content which this website provides. Furthermore, any website linking to OCR would be censored due to the ripple effect of linking to a website that is supposedly violating copyright. Fair Use be damned, this is about people taking their own security interest over the legitimacy of claims since all lawyers would be quick to say "do whatever it takes to keep your ass out of the potential fire".

Tell me this isn't a scary thought.

backreading a little bit here...

As to the idea of Anonymous opposing this bill, all I can say is lulz...

You guys realize this bill gives Anon more power then they could possibly ever want. Now they can take out every internet business they choose that has an option to upload. So I doubt they are going to be to much against this bill, but I'm sure for PR purposes to keep the bs about them being "heroes" up that they'll hack a gov site or two.

How the hell would this give ANON power? If Anon has a website of some kind, its DNS address would be denied through PIPA, and they could be tracked through any connections that someone slips open. By that time, someone's screwed. When SOPA comes in, only God knows what could happen. I think that the US has finally found a way to stop ANONYMOUS from operating within the US, at the expense of the First Amendment

EDIT: just received this email:

Holy moly. We did it -- at least for now. The House Judiciary Committee looked certain to vote for the Stop Online Piracy Act today.

Instead, because of the work of so many rank-and-file Internet users, the bill's lead sponsor acknowledged that our concerns are legitimate, and adjourned the committee without holding a vote!

Of course, there's always more to be done. Will you shoot a quick email to Harry Reid to tell him to stop pushing the Senate version of the bill? He's threatening to call a vote in January.

Here's Wired's take on what went down:

The House Judiciary Committee considering whether to send the Stop Online Piracy Act to the House floor abruptly adjourned Friday with no new vote date set – a surprise given that the bill looked certain to pass out of committee today.

It's amazing work: Politicians are, for the first time, having to contend with the Internet as a political force -- and we might actually win.

But now we need to focus attention back on the Senate, where Marjority Leader Harry Reid says the PROTECT IP Act will be the first bill he calls for a vote next year.

Will you let him and your Senators know that they need to stop pushing this legislation? It's an election year, and they don't want to do any heavy lifting. Pushing hard now could get them to back down altogether.

Keep up the great work.

-Demand Progress

P.S. This week has been incredibly inspriring to all of us, and it'll probably inspire your friends too. Will you let them know what just went down? Just use these links:

facebook_square.pngIf you're already on Facebook, click here to share with your friends.

twitter_square.pngIf you're already on Twitter, click here to tweet about the campaign: Tweet

o.gif?akid=1093.1472424.hbh82j

Paid for by Demand Progress (

DemandProgress.org

) and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. Contributions are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

Hopefully this means something

Let me just comment about SOPA for a second. Under the word of the proposed amendment, OCR could potentially be shut down for a single infringement notice being filed by ANYONE against it. Let's say you take this mix, which has a small clip from the Pokémon Anime. Under SOPA, OCR could be denied existence by being filtered out of search engines and denied access from its hosting provider if a claim was filed against it for a potential copyright infringement. Note that here I'm taking it as a literal, since we liberally work under the mantra of intepretive music as not infringing on what it is interpreting. The search engines and service providers would deny service because it grants them immunity to being held accountable for the content which this website provides. Furthermore, any website linking to OCR would be censored due to the ripple effect of linking to a website that is supposedly violating copyright. Fair Use be damned, this is about people taking their own security interest over the legitimacy of claims since all lawyers would be quick to say "do whatever it takes to keep your ass out of the potential fire".

Tell me this isn't a scary thought.

I wanted to come back to this because you are absolutely right and no one seems to believe that SOPA is really that bad. It is. You aren't just imagining a worst case scenario, either. All it would take is someone filing a complaint or worse - your ISP deciding that OCR isn't worth the risk anymore, and then the site disappears forever.

It's absolutely ridiculous, and the ironic part is that it is so ridiculous that no one seems to be taking this as seriously as they should be.

So what's the direct IP address of OCR? As I understand it, the bill only provides means of removing the DNS entry from your internet service, not removing the site itself, so getting to a site by the IP address would still work. I've taken to gathering up IP addresses for many of my frequented sites just in case. What's OCR's?